Home

2007 Atlanta Braves Discussion

This is a discussion on 2007 Atlanta Braves Discussion within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #905
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: 2007 Atlanta Braves Discussion

Renty is signed through next year so we need to keep him until at least then because he's been incredible. Kelly Johnson has done well at 2B plus he's swinging a good bat so there's really no place for Escobar right now. Johnson can hit lefty's too even though Escobar has been playing against LHP. Also, Johnson has power that Escobar doesn't have. They're fielding ability are close really but Escobar has a slight advantage in that he's been in the infield since being drafted. Kelly has done a really nice job at 2B this year.

Salty or Escobar one will have to go in a trade deal to get a good pitcher. I mean teams are gonna be after those two guys heavily compared to other guys in the organization. Thorman sure isn't trade bait & he's gotta be the odd one out right now so I don't know what we're gonna do with him.

Garland isn't a top of the line pitcher for a Renty type deal. That would be awful. To be honest, with what's being reported as far as pitchers available for trade we have no top of the line pitchers to go after for giving up players like Renty,Salty,or Escobar. Definitely not Arroyo or Garland. Geez!
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2007, 10:45 PM   #906
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjonesfan921
BTW, did anyone hear Gammons saying that the Braves were close to dealing Edgar for Garland? Why in the world would JS even include Edgar in trade talks? He has been incredible and I wouldn't even think of getting rid of him.
And in the same soundbyte, Gammons suggested that the Braves were still up for sale... I think ol' Pete was just misinformed. Maybe something he heard from a White Sox guy trying to boost Garland's perceived value.

Oh, and I think Salty's as good as gone. If they had real plans to hang on to him, I figure he'd be playing more 1st, instead of 93 year old Julio Franco starting just about every game over there since he came back (including vs RHP). Just my opinion.

Last edited by bravosfan; 07-23-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #907
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Nice start, 3 runs on a bases clearing double by McCann.

Game's on ESPN2, in case anyone didn't know.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:20 AM   #908
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Braves win...

Rosenthal repeats the Renteria/Garland rumor, along with some Teixeira stuff:

Quote:
In one version of the Braves' second-half blueprint, right-hander Jon Garland would have been their No. 3 starter, Yunel Escobar their shortstop and Mark Teixeira their first baseman.

A proposed trade of shortstop Edgar Renteria and a pitching prospect for the White Sox's Garland failed to materialize, but the acquisition of Teixeira remains possible, major-league sources say.
Renteria and a pitching prospect? And the Chi-Sox turned it down? Thanks, Kenny Williams.

Quote:
The Braves won't move Escobar; they clearly envision the rookie as their shortstop of the future if they were willing to make him the replacement for Renteria in the middle of a pennant race.

Yet, the Braves evidently believed they had enough other talent to land Garland and Teixeira in separate deals. And if they were creative enough to figure all that out, who's to say they won't come up with an equally intriguing Plan B?

Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, another top Braves' prospect, almost certainly is one of the Rangers' prime targets. The Braves are reluctant to part with "Salty," who could end up at first base. But they would have no place to play him if they had Teixeria through '08; catcher Brian McCann is signed through 2012 with a club option for '13.
Quote:
One rival general manager says that if he were in the Braves' position, he would do Saltalamacchia-for-Teixeira straight up; Teixeira, a prolific hitter and Gold Glove defender, could be that big of a difference-maker, the GM says.

The Braves, though, would be giving the Rangers not just a premium young talent, but also significant salary relief. In recent years, clubs have been willing to grant one or the other, but not both.

Teixeira is earning $9 million this season, and his salary could rise to $12 million next season in his final year of arbitration. It is almost certain he would not sign a contract extension before becoming a free agent; his agent, Scott Boras, prefers his clients' values to be determined on the open market.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7053996

Seems like the Braves have been more aggressive this season than I can remember. Maybe Bobby and JS see the end of the tunnel and are making a run at one last championship. Regardless, I'm expecting the Braves to make a splash before the deadline.

The Teixeira idea is intriguing, but there's that Bora$ factor... even still, I'd probably do the Salty-for-Tex deal. As long as we're able to get some pitching in another deal.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:44 AM   #909
All Star

Brandon13's Arena

OVR: 30

The Teixeira deal isn't really that great, imo. I don't see why we would deal Salty with the way he's played this year to pick up Teixeira. I just don't see that much of a gain. Trading Renteria and a pitching prospect for Jon Garland is an even worse idea. Garland's stats don't justify giving up that much for him. I just don't get what JS is thinking with that.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:28 AM   #910
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Chipper seems to be flying under the radar, but he's having a ridiculous year.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:53 AM   #911
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Wickman blows it, and another brilliant Hudson outing wasted...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2007, 01:59 AM   #912
Get Ducked Up!

oakfan162's Arena

OVR: 17

My heart hurts for Hudson. Ouch!
Warriors
49ers

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »