Home

2007 Atlanta Braves Discussion

This is a discussion on 2007 Atlanta Braves Discussion within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 12-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #1513
All Star

jt45's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: 2007 Atlanta Braves Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
I was thinking ... and please note, this is far from a legit rumor:

You think the Braves would go after Brian Roberts? I understand he was just named in the report, but the Braves have 2 open spots in the outfield, one of which could be filled by Kelly Johnson if they decide to move him for Prado or ... BRob. They haven't had a pure leadoff hitter since Furcal left, and he and Kelly could really set the table while Yunel can progress from the 7 or 8 hole. Maybe it doesn't fit since the Braves are clearly making an effort to restock the system. And maybe with Lillibridge in the organization it doesn't make sense, but since there's a fire sale in Baltimore, I wonder what it would take to land him?

Thoughts?
Brian Roberts plays 2nd base.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #1514
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt45
Brian Roberts plays 2nd base.
Right, and Kelly Johnson played left 2 seasons ago.

The Mets and Phils are looking real strong, and the wildcard will be fearce when you factor in 3 teams in the West that can compete. There's no pitching out there worth spending on (Silva, Loshe, etc.), so do they pocket Andruw's money for Texiera? With Smoltz and Chipper getting older, I'd like to see them get another vet.

Last edited by CWood2; 12-21-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #1515
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Right, and Kelly Johnson played left 2 seasons ago.

The Mets and Phils are looking real strong, and the wildcard will be fearce when you factor in 3 teams in the West that can compete. There's no pitching out there worth spending on (Silva, Loshe, etc.), so do they pocket Andruw's money for Texiera? With Smoltz and Chipper getting older, I'd like to see them get another vet.
Johnson can certainly go back to the OF if needed. I mean that's his natural position. They've got to do something because Prado can play 2nd. They are thin right now in the OF but do have a very promising player in Schafer. He's just not ready yet. Anderson(trade with Astros) can play CF but really has no pop in his bat & is mainly a defensive CF.

I personally think Matt Diaz has shown he can play in LF. He's a little suspect at times on defense but can hit the ball consistently. Let's give him a full-time look in LF. Johnson could probably play CF too really. Prado needs to be considered as a full-time 2nd baseman. This is his natural position & he can hit & field well. Johnson could fill-in to give him a rest & possibly play CF most of the time. The likely scenario however is for Johnson to play LF & Diaz to get time there as well. I just wished Diaz could get the full-time job out there at least for a good while to see how he does. Thanks!
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #1516
All Star

jt45's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybologna
Johnson can certainly go back to the OF if needed. I mean that's his natural position. They've got to do something because Prado can play 2nd. They are thin right now in the OF but do have a very promising player in Schafer. He's just not ready yet. Anderson(trade with Astros) can play CF but really has no pop in his bat & is mainly a defensive CF.

I personally think Matt Diaz has shown he can play in LF. He's a little suspect at times on defense but can hit the ball consistently. Let's give him a full-time look in LF. Johnson could probably play CF too really. Prado needs to be considered as a full-time 2nd baseman. This is his natural position & he can hit & field well. Johnson could fill-in to give him a rest & possibly play CF most of the time. The likely scenario however is for Johnson to play LF & Diaz to get time there as well. I just wished Diaz could get the full-time job out there at least for a good while to see how he does. Thanks!
Actually, shortstop is KJ's naturally position. He played there in the minors up until he got to Double A in 2004. Prado has proven nothing, so do you really think he warrants moving a proven player (offensively and defensively) off the position the team asked him to learn? I don't think so.

Leftfield will belong to Matt Diaz. He proved last year he could hit, so they will give him a shot to be an everyday guy.

Centerfield is purely a stopgap position. Anderson will get some time there, as will Brandon Jones (Jones could also see time in LF). They are waiting on either Gorky Hernandez (acquired in Renteria trade) or Jordan Schafer to be Major League-ready. Brent Lillibridge could also move to CF from SS and get some major league playing time.

Don't expect any major acquisitions between Spring Training and now and also don't expect and position changes especially for proven guys like Johnson.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #1517
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

I think you're right jt, especially the way KJ played at his new position. Also, Diaz actually hit righties very well last year, which lessens my cry for platoon.

I'm just intrigued by the guys you have up the middle of the infield (Escobar, Lillibridge, Johnson, Prado) who can all contribute vs. an outfield that probably needs a full year or more of development with Gorky, Jordan, Jones.

Who do you think is the opening day starter from this group in center? I'd imagine Anderson is 1a and Brent 1b if he makes the switch and plays well in Florida.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #1518
All Star

jt45's Arena

Quote:
I think you're right jt, especially the way KJ played at his new position. Also, Diaz actually hit righties very well last year, which lessens my cry for platoon.

I'm just intrigued by the guys you have up the middle of the infield (Escobar, Lillibridge, Johnson, Prado) who can all contribute vs. an outfield that probably needs a full year or more of development with Gorky, Jordan, Jones.

Who do you think is the opening day starter from this group in center? I'd imagine Anderson is 1a and Brent 1b if he makes the switch and plays well in Florida.
I would say it will be an open competition between Schafer/Brandon Jones/Anderson/Lillibridge/Joe Borchard (who was signed as a minor league FA).

Not exactly the most sparkling five guys, but they should be able to find someone who can play or at least a decent platoon.

Last edited by jt45; 12-21-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:43 AM   #1519
MVP

Kohlstar20's Arena

OVR: 11

Alot can change between now and opening day but this is what our projected lineup and rotation looks like right now.

1. SS Yunel Escobar
2. 2B Kelly Johnson
3. 3B Chipper Jones
4. 1B Mark Teixeira
5. RF Jeff Francoeur
6. C Brian McCann
7. LF Matt Diaz/Brandon Jones
8. CF Josh Anderson or Jordan Schafer

1. John Smoltz
2. Tom Glavine
3. Tim Hudson
4. Chuck James or Mike Hampton "if healthy" (I don't see that happening)
5. Jair Jurrjens/JoJo Reyes/Jeff Bennett/Buddy Carlyle (I don't think Carlyle is even expected to make the team but you never know)

Setup: Peter Moylan
Closer: Rafael Soriano

What do you guys think? Do we have a shot at the playoffs this season?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:23 AM   #1520
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

OVR: 24

If we can catch some breaks, I think we have a shot... of course that could be said for several teams.

Luckily the rest of the division hasn't improved much, though I'd still probably give the slight edge to Philly. After that, I'd likely grant the Braves a similarly slight edge over the Mets.

Don't think any team will run away with it, and I expect that the Braves will at least be in contention for a Wild Card spot late into the season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »