Home

The Friendly Confines: The Official Chicago Cubs Thread

This is a discussion on The Friendly Confines: The Official Chicago Cubs Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 22
The Friendly Confines: The Official Chicago Cubs Thread

See the old thread got deleted. Figured it's not too early to discuss 2012 and beyond!

The Theo Epstein Era has officially begun.

Aramis Ramirez tenure as the leader of the Cubs offense has officially ended as he will pursue free agency.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...nlikely-return

Sad to see him go, but it's $16 Million off the books.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
The Legend Continues

Happy29's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: The Friendly Confines: The Official Chicago Cubs Thread

Mike Quade has been fired
Old 11-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Banned

Now that quade is out who do you guys think/want to replace him?

When all these rumors started swirling at the beginning of the playoffs, I would have said Francona, but after learning about his health issues, I don't think that is likely.

For some reason I see it being Sandberg, just because Epstein likes him and wanted to hire him in Boston to one of the minor league clubs.

Who would I want? Ideally Joe Maddon because he seems to be the best in the game right now at getting a lot out of a little, but also he's a great player manager and can handle egos and diffuse situations.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15

wtf why not Ryno?

I mean, why the eff not?

What's the worst that could happen? The cubs lose some more?

Epstein is looking for someone with "major league experience."

Why? Really, why? Is Sandberg's knowledge of baseball really that much less than someone with "major league" experience?

And we aren't talking about MANAGERIAL experience, either...Epstein is considering bench coaches like TB's Martinez.

....this team....sometimes....i smfh.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
Banned

Yeah, when I heard that I was really confused.

I mean the guy has shown that he wins every level he was at. Why not take a chance? This team, barring some drastic moves has NO chance of winning the NL Central next year.

It's almost like a slap in the face, like hey you're a Cubs legend and you're a winner but we don't want that here.

On the other hand I can see where he is coming from. Managing in the majors is definitely different than managing in the minors. As we saw, Mike Quade, with years of minor league experience, got to the big leagues and was in way over his head. It's going to be interesting to see where they go from here. Although popular belief says Francona just because of their past working relationship, I just don't see it happening because of his health issues.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rose
On the other hand I can see where he is coming from. Managing in the majors is definitely different than managing in the minors. As we saw, Mike Quade, with years of minor league experience, got to the big leagues and was in way over his head. It's going to be interesting to see where they go from here. Although popular belief says Francona just because of their past working relationship, I just don't see it happening because of his health issues.

I don't disagree...but somewhere...Bobby Cox got a shot...Torry got a shot...LaRussa got a shot...

I don't want a tired Francona who has managed himself into the ground. I am sure he is capable...I would prefer to see what Ryno could do over 2-4 years.

He has worked with some of the team's prospects, and must be doing something right given his (albeit brief) track record in the minors.

Best case: He is great.
Worst case: He is no worse than Quade or whomever else would get fired that did badly...

Everyone else brings the same possibility. Francona could stink with the Cubs...Martinez could blow it...

Why not take a shot at what would be the greatest baseball story EVVVVEEERRRRRR.....
Old 11-16-2011, 12:57 AM   #7
Banned

Looks like Woody will be back. It's only right.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...con-kerry-wood
Old 11-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
The Legend Continues

Happy29's Arena

OVR: 31

I'm hoping we end up with the MAddux/Maddux combo Mike coming on as the manager and Greg as the pitching coach. I believe we are one or two years out from competing on a regular basis, but exciting things are sure to be coming for Cubs fans.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »