Home

2014 Cincinnati Reds Thread

This is a discussion on 2014 Cincinnati Reds Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #73
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Yeah it makes no sense. Like I said, I could listen on Saturday, couldn't on Sunday, then I could again on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #74
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14
re: 2014 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Yea, I don't think he's as bad in the outfield as Stubbs was at bat. I also think the offense is good enough that he doesn't have to be a gold glover. I'm not saying it doesn't matter what he does on defense, just that I'd take his faults over Stubbs's.
Having someone that actually gets on base in front of Votto will be very, very nice.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 04-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #75
MVP

Son of Sam99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
Having someone that actually gets on base in front of Votto will be very, very nice.
I'm really glad no one on here is freaking out wanting Heisey to go to Center after that game Monday.
Its really simple honestly, would you rather Choo be playing CF in October having played there all season? Or having played there half the season (assuming he'd move back once Ludwick returns).

I'm sure there's some kind of advanced metric that may refute this but based on the eye ball test I can't believe he wont make up nearly all of the runs his defense costs the team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #76
MVP

Son of Sam99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Sam99

I'm sure there's some kind of advanced metric that may refute this but based on the eye ball test I can't believe he wont make up nearly all of the runs his defense costs the team.
Turns out there is! I lifted the following paragraph from a blog:

In terms of the advanced metrics -- with all the requisite "small sample size" warnings we can possibly give -- Choo appears awful thus far. Heading into Monday, he was already a negative-two on plus-minus and negative-three on defensive runs saved. That means in only 60 innings, he's allowed three more runs to score than an average defender would have in center. His ultimate zone rating -- intended to measure range -- on Fangraphs.com was already negative-two.
And, again, this was before Monday's debacle in center.

So, again, this is all before Monday; having aloud 3 more runs than "an average defender" Choo hit 3 RBIs and had 8 runs; meaning by my math he's +8 offense to defense. He also had 10 hits and 3 walks... This all being said I would assume these numbers are superior to that of an average hitter.

If we take into account the three additional runs he aloud Monday; that's 6 aloud but 16 scored pushing him to +10!

In my mind this is exactly what we expected and in some ways hoped for.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #77
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Sam99
Turns out there is! I lifted the following paragraph from a blog:

In terms of the advanced metrics -- with all the requisite "small sample size" warnings we can possibly give -- Choo appears awful thus far. Heading into Monday, he was already a negative-two on plus-minus and negative-three on defensive runs saved. That means in only 60 innings, he's allowed three more runs to score than an average defender would have in center. His ultimate zone rating -- intended to measure range -- on Fangraphs.com was already negative-two.
And, again, this was before Monday's debacle in center.

So, again, this is all before Monday; having aloud 3 more runs than "an average defender" Choo hit 3 RBIs and had 8 runs; meaning by my math he's +8 offense to defense. He also had 10 hits and 3 walks... This all being said I would assume these numbers are superior to that of an average hitter.

If we take into account the three additional runs he aloud Monday; that's 6 aloud but 16 scored pushing him to +10!

In my mind this is exactly what we expected and in some ways hoped for.
He's been bad so far, but defense numbers don't stabilize until after multiple years. His average outfield UZR is -2, which is below average but not terrible.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 04-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #78
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
I like the advanced metrics and stuff, but seeing this offense with Stubbs and whatever clowns they had batting ahead of the incredible batter that Votto is and seeing Choo there now, it's night and day. Don't wanna say we can deal with Choo's defensive shortcomings but... We can deal with Choo's defensive shortcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #79
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Mike Leake having a rough one tonight. It's only the 4th, so hopefully they can turn it around and come back.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #80
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

I hate JJ Hoover, and still wonder why he is up here. He has been awful.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »