Home

2014 Blue Jays

This is a discussion on 2014 Blue Jays within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #537

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: 2014 Blue Jays

Obviously getting ahead of my self, but assuming he puts up numbers he did in Oakland with the Jays,and doesn't ever get traded/seriously injured, I think Donaldson could be up there with Gruber and Mulliniks in terms of greatest 3B in Jays history.

Will be good to have a 3B here for awhile. This will be the 9th diff starting 3B Jays have had on opening day,in the past 12 years!
Old 11-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #538
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
Pros and cons to the trade.

Pro:
Consistency—Donaldson has played 158 games back to back years while Lawrie hasn't played more than 125 in a season.

Con:
Amount given up—'Lot.
I'm not too worried about the amount given up. None of those guys are projected to be as good as Donaldson is. (and hopefully continue to be) The pitchers are depth guys in the organization and were penciled in behind a lot of guys already so it's not like they were going to be a part of the Jays foreseeable future long term. The SS Baretto may be a "damn why did we trade him" move however i've heard that even though he has a ridiculously high ceiling he's also a super toolsy kid who may not even have a position in the big leagues as scouts say he won't be a SS.

BTW I read a great article with Donaldson's comments this is one guy who is actually happy and excited to play here!

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #539

Majingir's Arena

Roster as of now:

C:
Martin,Navarro(to be traded?),Thole

IF:
Donaldson,Encarnacion,Goins,Izturis,Reyes,Tolleson ,Valencia

OF
Bautista,Pillar,Pompey,Dirks,Melky(if he stays)

SP:
Buehrle,Dickey,Happ,Stroman,Hutchison,Estrada

RP:
Sanchez,Jenkins,Cecil,Loup,Redmond,Rasmussen

Of that roster, there's 27 guys. Navarro likely gone, Thole shouldn't be on main roster(Dickey is only reason he is here),one of Tolleson/Valencia probably sent to AAA(unless Izturis is injured still),1-2 of those OF should be sent to AAA,and either we trade multiple P,or Hutchison,Estrada or Happ moves to bullpen.

I'd still prefer getting a SP,an OF(a CF if Melky stays,or a LF if he goes),2B and DH. Trading Navarro could get us one of those for sure.

Last edited by Majingir; 11-29-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #540

Majingir's Arena

Would anyone consider trading for Matt Kemp?

Navarro would be one of(but not the main) players going the other way. Dodgers badly need a C and have too many OF. Seems like Kemp is the most available one on their team.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #541
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Jays installing new, lighter, softer turf as a stop-gap til 2018.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #542

Majingir's Arena

Hopefully it is good enough. Put a "bandaid" on the problem that is our turf until things get fully fixed up in 2018.

Once they get real grass at Rogers Centre, wonder how many players won't mind coming to Toronto since that seems to be THE reason as to why some guys put Jays on their no trade list. I mentioned it before,but even RA Dickey hated the old turf we had(when he first came to Toronto,that was the thing he knew about Rogers Centre the most), and he was a pitcher! Jays have a league wide reputation for the horrible playing surface, so once 2018 rolls around, it'll be nice to see that reputation going away.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #543
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Ah, I see well thanks for fleshing out the details of why the Jays were interested in him and brought him into the fold. I can always count on you to give good information like this and the usage of "under the hood" type stats.
Well, Smoak was non-tendered so I guess I won't have to worry about how crappy he was going to be.

Maybe they'll bring him back on a minor-league contract?
Old 12-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #544
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Hopefully it is good enough. Put a "bandaid" on the problem that is our turf until things get fully fixed up in 2018.

Once they get real grass at Rogers Centre, wonder how many players won't mind coming to Toronto since that seems to be THE reason as to why some guys put Jays on their no trade list. I mentioned it before,but even RA Dickey hated the old turf we had(when he first came to Toronto,that was the thing he knew about Rogers Centre the most), and he was a pitcher! Jays have a league wide reputation for the horrible playing surface, so once 2018 rolls around, it'll be nice to see that reputation going away.
One thing you can always count on from players: They will find a way to complain!

I laughed when I read Brett Lawrie's comments/complaints about Rogers Centre. Dude says nothing when he was here but the minute he is traded he complains.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »