Home

**The Official New York Yankees Thread**

This is a discussion on **The Official New York Yankees Thread** within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #41
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: **The Official New York Yankees Thread**

It's so infuriating to watch Pineda pitch, the guy has a golden arm and will just fall apart at any given moment. I saw a stat that said his ERA in the first 2 innings is really high, and then it's under 2 in innings afterwards. Maybe he's just not focused (that much seems obvious) but specifically when starting the game? Who knows, they need to figure it out though

Daily News article used the Bull Durham quote "He's got a million dollar arm and a five cent head." Sounds perfect.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2016, 12:50 AM   #42
MVP

Rocket32's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
I think Cashman needs to go. It was 2005 when he got full control of the team, he said that the farm system would become a priority, and it hasn't worked out. And have no faith he'll stop the cycle of terrible contracts. Feels like every year we are talking about how we are waiting for a couple bad deals to expire. Rather get a new voice and new ideas in here, someone with a track record of building a team through young talent.
I'm not so sure about that. I think the Yankees are getting on the right track and getting younger. Also it definately looks like the farm system has become a priority now. They are playing it smart now, not giving up Judge, Meteo, Sanchez, and other notable prospects. They were in the thick of contention with the Jays who made big moves to improve and yet they played it smart and didn't go chasing after Hamels or anything. The plan is likely to let the bad contracts come off the payroll while letting Sanchez and Judge hit the majors and grow and then retool via the 2018 free agent class when guys like Harper will be out there. Smart plan in my opinion. Almost hoping Tanaka opts out and signs elsewhere but if he keeps going like this I doubt it. Anyway, if it was up to me I would let Cashman stay and see how things play out over the next few years.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:14 AM   #43
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
It's so infuriating to watch Pineda pitch, the guy has a golden arm and will just fall apart at any given moment. I saw a stat that said his ERA in the first 2 innings is really high, and then it's under 2 in innings afterwards. Maybe he's just not focused (that much seems obvious) but specifically when starting the game? Who knows, they need to figure it out though

Daily News article used the Bull Durham quote "He's got a million dollar arm and a five cent head." Sounds perfect.
There's incredible upside in this rotation. And it's so frustrating to watch. Eovaldi, Pineda, and Severino all have live arms. And wicked stuff, but they just can't seem to ever put it together consistently.

Of course Severino was great last year, and it's still early on. Assuming his injury isn't anything to worry about, I might think about putting him in relief just to try to get some confidence back. His stuff is filthy, if he could learn to command.

The clock is ticking for Pineda in my eyes. He could be an ace, but he just has lapses between greatness and meh.

Tanaka is the only guy that seems to know how to pitch out of these guys.

I like Eovaldi, but he should have a much higher K rate with that kind of stuff, and he fails to put guys away.

Nova doesn't inspire much confidence from me either, you get what you see with him.

As far as Cashman goes, I'm on the fence, I'd be open to exploring options, but I'm more critical of Girardi at this point. But, I've been on board with his thought process as of late, I'm just trying to be patient, and look to the future, which is starting to look better and better, but still room for improvement.

Sent from my HTCD200LVWPP using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2016, 09:45 AM   #44
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket32
I'm not so sure about that. I think the Yankees are getting on the right track and getting younger. Also it definately looks like the farm system has become a priority now. They are playing it smart now, not giving up Judge, Meteo, Sanchez, and other notable prospects. They were in the thick of contention with the Jays who made big moves to improve and yet they played it smart and didn't go chasing after Hamels or anything. The plan is likely to let the bad contracts come off the payroll while letting Sanchez and Judge hit the majors and grow and then retool via the 2018 free agent class when guys like Harper will be out there. Smart plan in my opinion. Almost hoping Tanaka opts out and signs elsewhere but if he keeps going like this I doubt it. Anyway, if it was up to me I would let Cashman stay and see how things play out over the next few years.
The problem is this plan you mention is not the first time it was the plan.

They've said before, we aren't spending, we aren't going to give guys big stupid contracts. And we are focused on youth.

Instead they gave up immediately on guys like Ian Kennedy, Austin Jackson, Cirvelli, and never fully supported Hughes (as if making him a reliever was some failure despite him being good at it) or Joba which was their own doing.

Then they went ahead and gave Beltran a contract and signed Ellsbury to a long dumb deal.

They've done good by keeping Gardner, betting on Headley (it hasn't worked out but it was a good idea), and making trades for guys like Eovaldi, Castro, Gregorious and Chapman.

It's just half foot in, half out. Need a commitment. And Counting your eggs on Harper is absolutely stupid.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 05-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #45
Banned

H8ter2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
The problem is this plan you mention is not the first time it was the plan.

They've said before, we aren't spending, we aren't going to give guys big stupid contracts. And we are focused on youth.

Instead they gave up immediately on guys like Ian Kennedy, Austin Jackson, Cirvelli, and never fully supported Hughes (as if making him a reliever was some failure despite him being good at it) or Joba which was their own doing.

Then they went ahead and gave Beltran a contract and signed Ellsbury to a long dumb deal.

They've done good by keeping Gardner, betting on Headley (it hasn't worked out but it was a good idea), and making trades for guys like Eovaldi, Castro, Gregorious and Chapman.

It's just half foot in, half out. Need a commitment. And Counting your eggs on Harper is absolutely stupid.

I agree with your assessment here, however I think it's different this time. A lot of those big ugly contracts go away after this season and they can start over with a good foundation on the young guys they brought in (Didi, Castro, chap) as well as bring up some of those top minor league prospects. I think they will be much better next season, only big spend I think they need is a true frontline Ace and that pushes everyone else in the rotation down a spot more to where they should be

The team is definitely getting younger, difference is in NY you don't go into full rebuild mode, the fans and the market won't allow it so you have to do it on the move like Cashman is doing, his pickups recently are working very well
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #46
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Hopefully you're right, since I don't actually think he's going anywhere. There does appear to be young talent coming up, so hopefully we can be patient with them. Still think its a bad job to take this long to finally have a group of prospects knocking on the door, but whats done is done.

Disagree that you can't rebuild in New York. And assuming we don't turn things around soon I hope we seriously consider being sellers at the deadline.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #47
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

I don't know why people say you can't rebuild in New York.

Don't listen to what Lupica feeds fans. The Mets rebuilt and they are doing just fine in terms of attendance and success.

You can rebuild. The media thinks you can't. And any fans that walk away from the team do not concern me. The Yankees are probably the only team that can literally afford to rebuild. It wouldn't hurt them much at all considering how big their popularity.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 05-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #48
Banned

H8ter2's Arena

Your both right technically you can rebuild in NY, it just would be a nightmare media wise and I think that's why I put it that way, you can yes but it would be a nightmare day after day for x time it takes getting bombarded in media. With that said I never have and never will walk away from my Yankees, I sat through the very dismal years of the 80's and early 90's so I know how bad it can get.

Either way they go about it, I honestly feel like theirs a plan in place now, a legit one. Will it work only time will tell, fingers crossed it does

In another note this team is starting to show some life and coming off life support winning against good teams 3 series in a row now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »