Home

2016 Blue Jays #OurMoment

This is a discussion on 2016 Blue Jays #OurMoment within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #73
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: 2016 Blue Jays #OurMoment

According to John Paul Morosi the Jays and Cards could hook up on a trade later in the season involving Matt Adams or Brandon Moss to "replace" Colabello. I'd love Adams but I dunno what we'd have to give up for him.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 04-26-2016, 12:16 AM   #74
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Matt Adams scares me a bit. Big dude coming off a bad leg injury. Could be a good buy low on a very good player though. He's cheap too.

On the plus side, it feels/looks like the bats are getting better.

Downside is that the pen sans Osuna is just an ugly morass right now. Oh, and Donaldson is dealing with that off and on leg injury.

Tulos bat is still a bit of a fascination to me. It feels like he's swinging at stuff that he used to tag and just isn't catching up to it (most of the time). Almost like his body has lost some ability, but he hasn't adjusted to it (or isn't aware of it?) in his mind. I think his stance and toe tap aren't generating the bat speed they were when he was younger.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:51 AM   #75
MVP

Perceptor's Arena

OVR: 18

Yeah our bullpen is a mess right now. Our bats are getting better. I too am concerned about Tulo but I feel like he's close to breaking out. Maybe I'm being optimistic but he's 31. He's not old by any stretch. Just hoping its sooner rather than later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #76
binging

SPTO's Arena

For those interested, Jamie Campbell has a sit down interview on Blue Jays Central with Colabello tonight.

BTW 3B Matt Dominguez has been called up.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 04-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #77
binging

SPTO's Arena

I know it's a little early for this but it's not just the results it's HOW we're losing so I ask in all seriousness:

Do we start the Gibbons Watch now?

Old 04-27-2016, 10:26 PM   #78
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I know it's a little early for this but it's not just the results it's HOW we're losing so I ask in all seriousness:

Do we start the Gibbons Watch now?
I don't think the state of things is Gibbons' fault. He, and the rest of the staff managed the team through ST like any sane staff would an older team coming off a big season, and returning with World Series aspirations.

You're right about the HOW though. The numbers are pretty similar to last April, but this team is supposed to be much better than the April 2015 edition. This team is supposed to be more like the second half team of last season. In that sense, the "it's early" argument doesn't sit well with me. I think "it's early" should be taken in context relative to expectations. For a team like the Jays it's not early when the HOW in a lot of these losses is gross. It's not early when the Jays are constantly helpless in multiple aspects of baseball.

Baseball is a strange game. So far it looks like the Jays have taken a step back, or other teams around baseball have taken a step forward relative to the Jays bats.

Sort of an aside, but does anyone else think Bautista just looks old as hell in the outfield compared to last year?
Old 04-27-2016, 11:04 PM   #79
binging

SPTO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy

Sort of an aside, but does anyone else think Bautista just looks old as hell in the outfield compared to last year?
I was reading something about him picking his spots in regards to his arm but in other ways he looks a bit slow out there as well. As you (I think) said earlier in this thread, the vibe of this franchise has completely gone awry no matter how much they try to put a bright face on it.

Things don't look so good for the Jays over the next couple games against Smyly and an Archer that looks like he has his mojo back.

BTW first losing sweep at home since 2013. Things are just bad all over.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:52 AM   #80
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

Obviously there is still lots of time to get things right with this group, but it's just disappointing that the ol' adage pitching is ahead of hitting early in the season seems to be the case with this group. It's a hell of a year to tread water waiting for that rectify itself.

Like you mentioned SPTO, the Rays pitching is coming up (again), and that's a tough matchup, and at the Trop to boot (again). To add on to that, the AL is crazy tough.

After the Rays series to start the season, it was Tanaka, and that Yankees crazy pen, and then it was Boston's so-so rotation outside of Price, but much improved team overall, and then it was Baltimore's crappy pitching, but good pen, and thunderous offense, and then Sonny Gray, and then Sale and Quintana and a dangerous Sox lineup, and so on. I've belaboured the point, I know, but for a team that is trying to win a World Series they have to find a way to be better against front-end pitching than they have in the past. Instead, the bats (minus a hobbled Donaldson) are falling behind against all pitching!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »