Home

2017 Atlanta Braves

This is a discussion on 2017 Atlanta Braves within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #225
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: 2017 Atlanta Braves

Quote:
Originally Posted by decga
Gents and ladies if present on the board. How good is Austin Riley? I don't hear talk about the young man outside of Braves and fans circle. I think 3B is one of those free agent position's. Chipper spoiled us rotten. I think Camargo could get the job done at 3B .
I'm not sold on Riley, yet. He is a nice prospect, but he doesn't dominate like a really good prospect does at each level. That said, the one thing I have really liked about him is his ability to adjust/develop at each level.

For example, when he started off he was atrocious defensively...he's worked really hard and become an above average glove at 3B. At each level he always starts out slow...and then adjusts and begins to really do well. He looked pretty good in the AFL this year, so who knows.

I think he's a nice prospect that could pan out for us at 3B...or he could be another Andy Marte (who actually put up better minor league numbers).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #226
MVP

decga's Arena

OVR: 12

It's cricket's on here guys. Just like it is in the Braves front office. Well hopefully not!
Check this out, if you are Fab Five Freddie you say to yourself: Heyward got a W.S., McCann got a W.S. ring, now if Kimbrel get one in Boston. I got be moved soon. His contract is guaranteed. They are doing anything to give him a chance. Bring up Acuna from day 1 in 2018. Get a proven 3B in a trade. Show Freddie something, please!
Old 01-17-2018, 09:51 AM   #227
All Star

OVR: 8

As much as I'd love to see Acuna day 1, it's better for the organization to let him sit to get the extra year of control. Even if Acuna plays day 1 and they find a good player at 3B, this team still isn't a serious WS contender in 2018. The Braves need pitching, and most of the stud potential arms are still looking at late 2018 debuts.

Plus, who do you even get at 3B? I'd love Moustakas on a 1 or 2 year deal, but if he would take that I'm sure someone would have already signed him. That doesn't leave a lot of FA options. Todd Frazier is coming off back to back worst years of his career so he's a roll of the dice at best. I still would like to see them bring back Brandon Phillips on a 1 or 2 year deal to play 3B, but he's not going to turn this offense into a juggernaut.

That really only leaves the trade market as a viable option, but then who do you go after? Longoria has already been moved, Donaldson just resigned with TOR so he isn't going anywhere. That doesn't leave a lot of options that offer significant upgrades at the position.

Freddie doesn't turn 29 until the end of the season so he should still have several more solid years in him as a 1B. I don't think he or the team needs to jump the gun in 2018.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #228
MVP

decga's Arena

OVR: 12

I see that Detroit has 3B Castellnos on the block. He is controllable for few years. Who's managing this team beyond 2018? Who does GM AA want?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »