Home

2018 Atlanta Braves

This is a discussion on 2018 Atlanta Braves within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2018, 12:36 AM   #193
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: 2018 Atlanta Braves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Anybody else enjoying Frenchy in the booth?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Anything that helps Joe talk less, I'm good with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Operation Sports mobile app

Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 AM   #194
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybologna
You are forgetting that Acuna Jr. missed a lot of games due to that very scary leg/knee injury. If he hadn't gotten injured I'm pretty sure that he would be the clear favorite for ROY.

It even took him a few games after getting back from the injury to get going. Imagine what numbers he would have right now if he hadn't gotten injured.

He would easily be at 25+ HR's with 70+ RBI's, probably 15+ SB's, probably batting .290+ as well with 20-25 doubles.
In the context of the RoY the fact of the matter is that he did miss those games and you can't count numbers that didn't actually happen.

For starters though I think that you are overselling his initial injury. He wasn't injured with he had a sub .300 OBP with a sub .400 slugging for nearly the entire month of May. It's also hard to argue injury as being a culprit for lack of production after coming back when his best production post injury (prior to this past week) was in his first 5 games back from the injury.

In terms of volume you're right he would have more than he has now. If you normalize his production out over an additional 28 games you would get right around 25 HR and maybe 55-60 RBI (he's at 43 through 67 games, and that includes 12 RBI in a 5 game stretch. I don't think you can realistically add 27 RBI's to that total for just 28 missed games).

Volume doesn't help averages though and that's the point of your argument that I'd most disagree with (BA and OBP). We haven't seen Acuna as a .290 hitter at this point in his career. We've seen him hit ~.260 over the course of about 55-60 games, and we've seen him hit .470 over the course of 8.

We know his talent and the story for him is still being written so all of this is still subject to change.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:26 AM   #195
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
In the context of the RoY the fact of the matter is that he did miss those games and you can't count numbers that didn't actually happen.

For starters though I think that you are overselling his initial injury. He wasn't injured with he had a sub .300 OBP with a sub .400 slugging for nearly the entire month of May. It's also hard to argue injury as being a culprit for lack of production after coming back when his best production post injury (prior to this past week) was in his first 5 games back from the injury.

In terms of volume you're right he would have more than he has now. If you normalize his production out over an additional 28 games you would get right around 25 HR and maybe 55-60 RBI (he's at 43 through 67 games, and that includes 12 RBI in a 5 game stretch. I don't think you can realistically add 27 RBI's to that total for just 28 missed games).

Volume doesn't help averages though and that's the point of your argument that I'd most disagree with (BA and OBP). We haven't seen Acuna as a .290 hitter at this point in his career. We've seen him hit ~.260 over the course of about 55-60 games, and we've seen him hit .470 over the course of 8.

We know his talent and the story for him is still being written so all of this is still subject to change.
I'll just sum it up by saying that Acuna Jr. just got off to a slow start in May otherwise he would be by far the ROY favorite right now. He & Soto no doubt are going to battle it out for ROY. That's if Acuna Jr. doesn't have a serious injury from that HBP.

I didn't like the way that ball sounded when hitting Acuna Jr. & I wouldn't be surprised if there's a broken bone in that elbow. I pray not but that was a 97 MPH fastball that got him right on the elbow.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2018, 03:38 AM   #196
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybologna
I'll just sum it up by saying that Acuna Jr. just got off to a slow start in May otherwise he would be by far the ROY favorite right now. He & Soto no doubt are going to battle it out for ROY. That's if Acuna Jr. doesn't have a serious injury from that HBP.

I didn't like the way that ball sounded when hitting Acuna Jr. & I wouldn't be surprised if there's a broken bone in that elbow. I pray not but that was a 97 MPH fastball that got him right on the elbow.

Snitker seemed to allude to it not hitting the elbow as much and the pain felt more like a cramping pain and less like a broken type of pain. As someone who has broken both wrists and many other bones, you know when it's broken. It feels different.

― Plato
Old 08-16-2018, 04:39 AM   #197
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
McCarthy hoping to return this season, but in the bullpen. Then he’s retiring.

Good. Hate that ****ing guy.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #198
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Anybody else enjoying Frenchy in the booth?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
yea he is doing a good job and I assume he will take over full time next year
Old 08-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #199
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Snitker seemed to allude to it not hitting the elbow as much and the pain felt more like a cramping pain and less like a broken type of pain. As someone who has broken both wrists and many other bones, you know when it's broken. It feels different.
Yeah. Thanks the Lord. MRI showed no damage to Acuna's elbow. He is in the lineup for tonight's game in the leadoff spot. Can't believe that he isn't going to miss at least a couple of games.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 08-19-2018, 01:33 AM   #200
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

2 nights in a row that the bullpen has failed us. Not good after making those trades with Brach failing last night & Minter failing tonight. Anybody know the latest on Vizcaino & when/if he might be coming back this season? We are starting to really miss him now. Thanks.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »