Home

2018 Chicago Cubs

This is a discussion on 2018 Chicago Cubs within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #57
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Yu Darvish has absolutely destroyed his credibility with me (I know, like he cares lol). His arm feels perfect. It feels terrible. It feels perfect. It feels terrible. So much pain. Categorically pain free. Wincing. Laughing. This has been the most ridiculous "rehab" by a Cubs player this side of Mark Prior.
I doubt he pitches again this year. At this point depending on severity, part of next season could be in jeopardy too.

Also, Adam Frazier just walked off the Cubs.....blegh. 4 runs in the series is pathetic, but at least the starting pitching (minus Chatwood who shouldn't be there) was solid

Thanks Peyton. #18
Old 08-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #58
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

This was probably not the way the team wanted to enter a stretch of 21 straight games and 29 in 30 days. Bryant returning soon would help, but I don't see how the pitching will hold up with Chatwood back in the rotation.

Watch me play video games
Old 08-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #59
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

One of the things I've really grown to dislike about Joe Maddon is that his "new age hipness" sometimes is just a thin veneer over a deep-seated inflexibility. I mean, having the batters take a little BP isn't going to cause the end of the world like Maddon claims it will. In fact, the idea that practicing a skill doesn't help any is patently absurd if you really think about it, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maddon
I thought we were [getting better], and then we kind of slipped backwards a little bit. It's a mental thing more than it is physical. It's not going to require more batting practice. It doesn't require more video. It requires the plan at the plate, trusting yourself, using the whole field. That kind of thing is what it requires. Not extra work this time of the year. Extra swings are not going to get it done.

How does he know more BP/video etc won't help? You'd think if he really knew the root cause of the inconsistency, the team could take steps to fix it, right? And we could stop hearing these platitudes. Does he just object to getting to the ballpark before a certain time of day?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #60
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
One of the things I've really grown to dislike about Joe Maddon is that his "new age hipness" sometimes is just a thin veneer over a deep-seated inflexibility. I mean, having the batters take a little BP isn't going to cause the end of the world like Maddon claims it will. In fact, the idea that practicing a skill doesn't help any is patently absurd if you really think about it, lol.

How does he know more BP/video etc won't help? You'd think if he really knew the root cause of the inconsistency, the team could take steps to fix it, right? And we could stop hearing these platitudes. Does he just object to getting to the ballpark before a certain time of day?
I get what you are saying, but I also understand Maddon's point. You aren't going to necessarily "fix" your swing with repetition at this point (you've been swinging for 6 months!). I do think there has to be some give and take though...some guys might benefit from extra work, etc.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:18 PM   #61
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
I get what you are saying, but I also understand Maddon's point. You aren't going to necessarily "fix" your swing with repetition at this point (you've been swinging for 6 months!). I do think there has to be some give and take though...some guys might benefit from extra work, etc.
My point is more that he's so dogmatic about it and dismisses it out of hand. It's the inflexibility couched in "savvy new age thinking" that bothers me more than trying to increase the swing count for each player. There are enough slumping players on the team that I feel there's no harm in devoting some additional practice time. Or at least considering it. The way it is now, some players are taking their BP swings in games it seems like anyway. And the results are predictably poor.

When Maddon's teams historically have taken off in the 2nd half, you figure he might know what he's talking about with curtailing practice time and balancing things out, doing things his way. When the team doesn't click, however, then I think it's fair to re-examine those methods.

How else do you fix your swing if not by watching yourself on video, taking to coaching, tweaking, getting in there and practicing until the movements are the most natural things in the world? Visualization is useful, but you can't just play out swings in your mind and hope for any sort of timing or muscle memory. There's something to be said for the "mental side" of hitting and God knows several players could use a fresh approach, but I find Maddon's POV to be frustrating. Then again, I've never managed a baseball team through a 6 month grind so what do I know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2018, 06:35 PM   #62
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

I'm starting to agree with you. There's a difference between hitting before games because it's what you do, and hitting before games to get timing and work on something. Maybe they're hitting in the cages underneath, but it's a different feel seeing the ball travel out of the cage.

Maddon is looking just as stubborn as the old timers that still preach beating the ball into the ground and pitchers running long distance after throwing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app

Old 08-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #63
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

And Darvish is officially done for the season. To the surprise of no one at this point.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app

Old 08-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #64
the team

k_mac's Arena

OVR: 17

Hard for Daniel Murphy to hit home runs against the Cubs in the playoffs if he's playing for the Cubs.

In all seriousness, he's been hot since the all-star break so hopefully this turns out to be a good move. Probably means KB or Russell are a little more hurt than we expect.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »