Home

2019 Atlanta Braves

This is a discussion on 2019 Atlanta Braves within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2019, 04:55 PM   #17
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: 2019 Atlanta Braves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
Ya, with Markakis signing I was thinking something more like this:

Acuna
Markakis
Freeman
Donaldson
McCann
Albies
Swanson
Inciarte

I think Markakis would be a good #2 hitter, get on base ahead of Freddie, not be bothered if Acuna wants to swipe a bag, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
From what I've gathered we're not going to be using McCann as our #1 Catcher. Flowers will be our regular Catcher with McCann getting that spot start every 5th game for someone specific in the rotation(probably Teheran) & also if Flowers needs rest or gets banged up.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11

Last edited by tonybologna; 01-24-2019 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:52 AM   #18
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

I know that I've already asked all of you Braves guys what your opinions was on the SP rotation for 2019. I want to ask a more specific question about the rotation now.

Who is going to be our 5th SP in the Opening Day rotation that will be named? There are several candidates. Looks like Folty, Gausman, Newcomb, & Teheran are locks for 1-4 as of right now if no trades or FA signings are made. Here are just some of the candidates for that 5th spot in no particular order:

Mike Soroka
Touki Toussaint
Max Fried
Kolby Allard
Luiz Gohara
Bryse Wilson
Kyle Wright
Ian Anderson
Kyle Muller
Joey Wentz

That's 10 names listed above. Now, in my opinion 3 guys in the list above aren't serious candidates for the 2019 rotation but are definitely in the race for 2020 & beyond.

We have 7 guys listed above that has pitched at least 1 game for the MLB level club. Those 7 guys are Soroka, Touki, Fried, Allard, Gohara, Wilson, & Wright. The other 3 guys remaining haven't made an appearance for the Braves MLB club.

I think personally the 5th spot has to come from one of the guys that has already made at least one appearance/start. That's to start the season anyhow. In my opinion, the SP with the absolute best stuff listed above is in the bottom 4 guys mentioned & that Pitcher is Ian Anderson. He's just too young & still needs more grooming in the minors for at least 1 more season if not 2.

Kyle Wright I think has the 2nd best stuff from all the guys named above. He could be ready for the big leagues but I think it would be best to start him out @ AAA Gwinnett to begin the season. We have 2 guys coming off major/serious injuries. Those 2 are Soroka & Gohara. Soroka has already made a select few starts for the Braves & while he didn't tear it up he pitched rather well actually.

Gohara in his few appearances/starts showed pretty good stuff but had some control issues. He also went through 2 tragedies off the diamond losing his father & mother within months of each other so his mind couldn't have been in a good place in 2018. Kolby Allard was called up to make a spot start & to me just didn't look to have good enough stuff to be a regular guy in the rotation. Bryse Wilson made a start for a double-header & pitched well. He has above average stuff & pretty good control. Both Allard & Wilson each had 3 total appearances in 2018 with 1 start each.

Touki made 5 starts with 7 total appearances. His problem was control with 21 BB's in 29 IP. He did have 32 K's though as well. Soroka made 5 starts before injury. He had a decent ERA of 3.51 in 25.2 IP. He showed solid control with only 7 BB's with 21 K's so that's a 3 to 1 K-BB ratio. Kyle Wright made 4 APP out of the bullpen during September callups. He had 6 BB's in 6 IP with 5 K's. Not enough to even evaluate him on really.

Gohara made 1 start & had 9 total APP before his injury & off the field tragedies. In 19.2 IP he had an ERA of 5.95 with 8 BB's & 18 K's.

I really think the Braves coaching staff can't go wrong in picking between one of 4 certain guys listed above. Those 4 are Soroka, Touki, Fried, & Wilson. Now, remember this is only for the Opening Day rotation. I could see at least 8-9 of the above mentioned SP's that could factor into the rotation later in the 2019 season. Kyle Wright in my opinion has a good chance to be break the rotation later in the 2019 season & the same goes for Kyle Muller.

I personally think if Gohara comes back healthy then he would be better suited being a Long Reliever out of the bullpen or someone coming out of the bullpen to give us 2+ innings if needed. The sleeper for the rotation to me though is Max Fried.

He already has experience with 5 starts last season with 14 total APP plus he pitched some in 2017 as well. He posted an ERA of 2.94 in 33.2 IP with 20 BB's & 44 K's. He would need to cut down on those walks but 44 K's in 33.2 IP shows that he has big league stuff.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Last edited by tonybologna; 01-24-2019 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:15 AM   #19
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

https://www.talkingchop.com/2019/1/2...y-ian-anderson

The MLB.com(MLB Network) will announce their new Top 100 2019 Prospects this coming Saturday night @ 8 PM EST on MLB Network.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 01-25-2019, 01:08 AM   #20
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Alex Anthopoulos speaks on MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM(Thursday, January 24th):

"We're definitely going to be involved in trades," Anthopoulos said, alluding to his pursuit of lefty James Paxton and closer Edwin Diaz before the Mariners sent them to the Yankees and Mets, respectively, early in the offseason. "At the end of the day, we really feel strongly about the talent we have. We've put some good young players on the table in [proposed] deals.

"Whether it was Trade Deadline last year or even this offseason, we've been pretty engaged on the trade market," Anthopoulos continued. "But we haven't been able to say 'yes' to a deal we thought made sense for us. We have the players to go get [big names]. We certainly have the currency. We have the prospects to do it. It's not a financial thing. It's ultimately when we're making a decision from a baseball standpoint, do we think this is the right move for the organization?"

Here's where Anthopoulos took care to point out to anxious Braves fans that, although he understands their desire to pull off a blockbuster, sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

"I can tell you last offseason I got asked about [Ozzie] Albies a ton, and I got asked about [Ronald] Acuna a ton," Anthopoulos said. "There were a lot of deals that we could have done where we would have gotten good big league players, but at this time now, we would be regretting those deals. I could say the same thing about the Trade Deadline as well."

The Braves still could use an upgrade in the bullpen and certainly would like to land a front-of-the-rotation starter to lead a barrage of young arms who either are ready to make an impact in the big leagues (read: Kyle Wright, Touki Toussaint, Mike Soroka, Max Fried) or are on the verge of doing so (think: Luiz Gohara, Ian Anderson, Bryse Wilson, Kolby Allard).

Bottom line: If Anthopoulos wants to fill those areas via trade, he has the assets to do it -- and then some. The question, then, is whether the Braves will make a massive move soon or wait until some of the young talent sorts itself out early in 2019 ahead of the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 01-27-2019, 01:00 AM   #21
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

The new MLB Top 100 Prospects list was released tonight. Mike Soroka comes in @ #24 overall. Kyle Wright comes in @ #30. Ian Anderson comes in @ #32 overall. Christian Pache comes in @ #37. Austin Riley comes in @ #38. Touki Toussaint comes in @ #50 overall. Bryse Wilson comes in @ #82 overall. Drew Waters comes in @ #86 overall. So, 8 Braves made the 2019 initial Top 100 Prospects list.

I really don't see why Touki is still in the 2019 Top 100 Prospects list. He was in the Top 100 Prospects for 2018 & has already made his MLB debut too including multiple starts & appearances.

I don't really get the criteria/rules for being able to qualify on these Top 100 Prospects lists.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Last edited by tonybologna; 01-27-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2019, 01:59 AM   #22
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Braves management announced today(Monday, January 28th) that Arodys Vizcaino will be our #1 closer as long as he's healthy enough to do so. If not, then it's going to be given to A.J. Minter. This is at least the plans to open the 2019 season.

Also, here is our 2019 non-roster invitees: https://www.talkingchop.com/2019/1/2...pring-training

Here is "Talking Chop's" Preseason Top 30 Braves Prospects: https://www.talkingchop.com/2019/1/1...spect-rankings

MLB.com will announce each organizational Top 30 Prospects in February.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Last edited by tonybologna; 01-29-2019 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:18 AM   #23
All Star

OVR: 8

Hopefully some of the relievers on the market become more reasonable with their demands. I don't want to see either viz or minter closing out games. I can't take another season of 30 pitch 9th innings

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #24
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Hopefully some of the relievers on the market become more reasonable with their demands. I don't want to see either viz or minter closing out games. I can't take another season of 30 pitch 9th innings

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Operation Sports mobile app

I want Kimbrel...get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »