Home

2019 Atlanta Braves

This is a discussion on 2019 Atlanta Braves within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2019, 03:41 AM   #209
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 2019 Atlanta Braves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Yup. I wasn't facing major leaguers when pitching in high school, but I took great pride in not committing throwing walks.

I was also the best batting practice pitcher on the team though, which probably says a lot about how people could hit bombs off me if I didn't locate.

Thing is, the guys in our pen are walking guys AND giving up bombs.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-20-2019, 04:15 AM   #210
Rookie

2019 Atlanta Braves

Newcomb and Wright would benefit more by coming out of the MLB pen that starting in AAA. They have great stuff... just need to learn how to attack hitters instead of nibbling. Coming out of the pen for 1-2 innings would help with that.

Even if they are terrible, it can’t be worse that what we currently have to see each night.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:47 AM   #211
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I say we should call up 6 arms and do a complete bullpen line change. Don't know how the "rules" work regarding sending people down and getting rid of them, but surely we can find 6 new guys in the minors that can do the same **** or maybe, you know, be better.

We're not signing Kimbrel at least until the pick situation lifts and right now it's like putting a bandaid on a gunshot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2019, 03:33 PM   #212
All Star

OVR: 8

Beyond Kimbrel, what's amazing is that there are still other free agent relievers out there who would not cost a draft pick. None of them are on Kimbrel's level, but would we really be worse off with someone like Bud Norris in the pen than Sobotka? It's probably overblown, but there isn't a single veteran presence in the bp with Viz going down.

One thing to wonder about with the bp. In the next week or so the rotation is going to have too many guys for the number of spots when Folty gets back.
Folty
Gausman
Fried
Soroka
Teheran
Touki
One of those guys is going to drop from the rotation and we might see them added to the bullpen. I'd really like to see Julio moved into that role if Touki has another good start. Julio is durable and he can throw more sliders if he's only playing innings each time.

Fortunately we have started to see some major turnover in the bp. In the last week or so we've seen these guys added
Winkler - looked good, albeit in an extremely small sample size but we saw what he did last year
Tomlin - Was great in a mop up role for 5 innings, but we kind of know what he his. Hopefully his stuff will play up as a reliever.
Webb - Decent prospect who like Winkler has looked good in very small sample but does have a decent ceiling.

I'd like to see even more turnover though (Both AJ Minter and Sobotka belong in AAA until they prove they can throw strikes) and see even more new faces get a shot. Right now the only guy who has earned his place in the pen is Parsons who, if nothing else, at least throws strikes.

Last edited by KSUowls; 04-20-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #213
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27

I missed the comeback win last night. Got frustrated after we were down 7-0 & changed the TV station to watch Live PD. I was just too aggravated with them to continue watching. Just proves just like last season you don't give up on this team no matter what the score of a game is.

They have the bats to score in bunches. That's what they did last night with 5 runs in the 9th & I missed it. Oh well. Learned a lesson again because I did this at least once last season & they came back & won like this last year.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11
Old 04-21-2019, 05:36 PM   #214
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Beyond Kimbrel, what's amazing is that there are still other free agent relievers out there who would not cost a draft pick. None of them are on Kimbrel's level, but would we really be worse off with someone like Bud Norris in the pen than Sobotka? It's probably overblown, but there isn't a single veteran presence in the bp with Viz going down.

One thing to wonder about with the bp. In the next week or so the rotation is going to have too many guys for the number of spots when Folty gets back.
Folty
Gausman
Fried
Soroka
Teheran
Touki
One of those guys is going to drop from the rotation and we might see them added to the bullpen. I'd really like to see Julio moved into that role if Touki has another good start. Julio is durable and he can throw more sliders if he's only playing innings each time.

Fortunately we have started to see some major turnover in the bp. In the last week or so we've seen these guys added
Winkler - looked good, albeit in an extremely small sample size but we saw what he did last year
Tomlin - Was great in a mop up role for 5 innings, but we kind of know what he his. Hopefully his stuff will play up as a reliever.
Webb - Decent prospect who like Winkler has looked good in very small sample but does have a decent ceiling.

I'd like to see even more turnover though (Both AJ Minter and Sobotka belong in AAA until they prove they can throw strikes) and see even more new faces get a shot. Right now the only guy who has earned his place in the pen is Parsons who, if nothing else, at least throws strikes.
Bold above. Touki had that outstanding long relief outing then got rocked in his next appearance with a start. I would have said put Touki in the rotation somewhere but we can't have that type of inconsistency. Teheran is reliable & for the most part he's not going to go out there to start & get rocked in the 1st inning like Touki did in his last start. Teheran might give up a run or two to start a game but he pulls it together to stop the bleeding.

Touki doesn't seem to know how to stop the bleeding once he gives up a run or two in the 1st inning. It just turns into a complete wipeout from him. I don't know if it's because of frustration or what but once he learns how to stop a somewhat bad inning with 1-2 runs instead of 5-6+ runs then that will go a long way with his chances at being in the rotation.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11
Old 04-21-2019, 11:11 PM   #215
All Star

OVR: 8

That's 4 straight really good starts out of Fried. Tonight should have been even better, but he had to throw about 15 extra pitches in the 1st inning due to some blown ball/strike calls with 2 outs. His lack of an established 3rd pitch beyond his 4 seamer and curve are a little concerning going forward, but right now he's the best thing we have going.

Also encouraging to see the bats wake up again. Even after the less that stellar performance against Arizona this team still ranks #11 in Runs per game, #10 in OPS and #9 in OPS+.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #216
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
I say we should call up 6 arms and do a complete bullpen line change. Don't know how the "rules" work regarding sending people down and getting rid of them, but surely we can find 6 new guys in the minors that can do the same **** or maybe, you know, be better.
They are already starting to do that. There are only 4-5 guys on the 40 man that haven’t pitched for Atlanta this year and that includes Allard, Gohara and Ynoa who won’t be called up until they are 100% ready. Grant Dayton and Patrick Weigel are the only other guys who haven’t made an appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls

Folty
Gausman
Fried
Soroka
Teheran
Touki

Will we be any better off with Bud Norris on the club?

They could have signed some real talent earlier this year but I still don’t think it’s the end of the world that they didn’t. The bullpen is the last place to spend money because pitchers are so hit and miss. Almost no one sees the best relievers coming until they are already blowing guys away in the majors.

1. Folty
2. Tehran
3. Gausman
4. Fried
5. Soroka

Touki and Newk need to go into long relief roles and learn how to attack and perform under pressure. They could both end up being dominant multi-inning relievers.

Minter and Sabotka need more time to develop into single inning lights out guys. If they can’t, dump them.

The rest of the guys go on the Gwinnett shuttle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »