Home

2020 Atlanta Braves

This is a discussion on 2020 Atlanta Braves within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2020, 09:16 PM   #25
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: 2020 Atlanta Braves

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Excuses always happen, but I've never actually seen anyone critique the 90's Braves for having too many aces. That's just kind of backwards logic unless they were saying that all of the pitching sacrificed offense. Which, while true, doesn't explain how the team made 5 world series appearances in 9 years.

You win in the postseason with pitching and timely hitting. Atlanta was a bit unlucky in the ladder during the 90s, but it's really hard to win a championship. There only a couple of examples in the last 30 years of world series winners not having at least one true ace. I think Soroka has a good shot at being that guy for us now, but we're playing at a disadvantage in October if another guy doesn't step up behind him. The bullpen better be lights out good and the offense better comes through in the clutch.
Every year the Braves lost/flopped out in the 1990's I'd hear/read about "this team is built for 162 games, from the manager to the pitching to the lineup", but they aren't very good in short series. I'm not saying I buy all that (although I do think there is some truth); the Braves were routinely vulnerable to good LHP (McGriff, Klesko, Justice, Chipper early), the bullpen, outside of 1995 with Wohlers, never had that shutdown closer, and Bobby never seemed to manage with a sense of urgency.

That said - those teams were always good enough to win it all. They just flopped too many times. I mean, look at inning 1 of the 2000 playoffs and just how they threw up all over themselves!

I just found it ironic looking at the preview magazines and seeing how the predictions are that until the Braves have a true #1 they won't advance past the first round.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2020, 09:52 PM   #26
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I'll admit I'm concerned about Soroka having a typical sophomore slump after his excellent rookie campaign (I still think there should be 2 RoY's, 1 pitcher & 1 every day player).

on the other hand, I may have too high expectations out of Folty, after last years injury problem. I expect Folty to have an even better than his 2018 season
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if this is the year Folty eventually transitions to the pen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

Old 03-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #27
Rookie

DirtBallNation's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan1984
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if this is the year Folty eventually transitions to the pen.

Honestly it makes total sense in my mind. High velocity is something we need out of the pen. We have so many potential starters especially when Hamels comes back. If folty doesn’t start off super strong his place in the rotation may be in jeopardy. Part of me wants to see Newk come back strong and end up in the rotation again full time

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

GREEN BAY PACKERS

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

WISCONSIN BADGERS
Old 03-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #28
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Yikes - talk of Hamels starting the year on the 60 day IL and no way he pitches before mid-May. That’s pretty poor on the front office to invest $18M on a one year deal where the guy could miss 1/3 of the season.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:26 PM   #29
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

Yeah pretty crappy but insurance should help cover some. Kind of sucks since he was expected to fill a big hole. Let's hope Felix has some left in the tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
Yikes - talk of Hamels starting the year on the 60 day IL and no way he pitches before mid-May. That’s pretty poor on the front office to invest $18M on a one year deal where the guy could miss 1/3 of the season.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:33 AM   #30
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Pisses me off because we need proven pitching but you know what? **** it. We spent all this time losing on purpose and acquired like 84 pitching prospects. Let 'em pan out.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #31
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

I’m here to confess a sin: I love pitching with Luke on MLB The Show. That slider is nasty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2020, 12:34 AM   #32
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
I’m here to confess a sin: I love pitching with Luke on MLB The Show. That slider is nasty.
You need to add some realistic sliders when he's on the mound. Set AI contact and power to max. And then make sure you use him in as many high leverage situations as you can. We don't have real baseball so you need to simulate real life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »