Home

Jimbo's Ratings Calculator inc. Historic Calculator (with downloads)

This is a discussion on Jimbo's Ratings Calculator inc. Historic Calculator (with downloads) within the MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
re: Jimbo's Ratings Calculator inc. Historic Calculator (with downloads)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauerMorneau09
Hey Jim, this isn't really a 100% accurate way to measure control and pitch break, but I've done some research and this is somewhat of a close method to figuring those ratings out. Normally I'll click on "Pitch Outcomes" on a player's card on Brooks Baseball and add up the "Strike" and "Swing" percentages for control. Obviously when a guy throws less pitches, say under 100, you might get some lopsided numbers when you add em up. Either too high or too low, but it's worth the try. As for break, normally using the "HMov" for fastballs is the way to go. "VMov" for changeups, but those seem like the only accurate break ratings. Once again, not 100%, but worth a shot.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I am modifying the calculator so that it includes the pitch outcomes as well but my only concern is that having looked at a few players, the control rating seems that it is going to be quite high?? How have you found it??
Old 03-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
Pro

MauerMorneau09's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjimbo1885
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I am modifying the calculator so that it includes the pitch outcomes as well but my only concern is that having looked at a few players, the control rating seems that it is going to be quite high?? How have you found it??
Yeah it is going to be high with some guys, I putzed around with it on MLB 13, I looked at some guys ratings for control and break and were somewhat close to the Pitch FX data. I forgot to mention that they'll be off for some players by 10 haha, but I'll double check again later. Sometimes it has been spot on for guys, other times completely off. Basically the only thing I can measure control and break from atm.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #11
Rookie

The Brooks Baseball version of the calculator has been updated to also include pitch outcomes which has finally enabled me to produce a control rating for each pitcher/pitch type.

Thanks to MauerMorneau09 for influencing/inspiring the formula... although I have used a variation on his suggestion.

Hope to come up with a suitable fomula for break ratings soon!!

Again, you need an internet link for this version of the calculator to work properly, as it pulls data from the Brooks Baseball website.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #12
Rookie

I have been unable to come up with a good method for calculating pitch break using the Brooks Baseball website and that along with the different pitch classifactions they give (compared to Fangraphs) means that I have done a compromise and included both in my calculator!!

I would suggest looking at both sets of pitching figures and deciding yourself what pitch classifactions to use etc.

In most cases it will be pretty obvious but please remember that Brooks Baseball class 2 seamers as sinkers.

Download here or at the opening post:

http://www.jamesagrant.webspace.virg...r_2014_v2.xlsx
Old 04-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
Rookie

One of the most common questions I get asked is about making ratings for older players and whether my calculator can be used to do this.

So, after a wee bit of work, here's my beta historic ratings calculator!!
(Works from 1950 onwards, as this is the earliest I can get splits data from.)

The calclulator pulls its data from the internet, so obviously you need an internet connection for it to work!! Also, due to the amount of data it is pulling in, it can be quite slow to begin with.

If you decide to change years and you are working on batting ratings then you will know when it has collected all the new data as the the boxes Totals, vsLHP and vsRHP will be displaying the new year you have selected. For pitching the box pitching will be displaying the appropriate new year.

Note: The batting and pitching are totally separate entities but on the same page.

Unfortunately, I can't generate ratings for all the attributes and the clutch ratings are a bit.. meh... but you can see all the formulas on the 'Calcs' tab and feel free to modify, change or suggest alternatives.

It should be pretty obvious how to work it but if anybody has any problems etc then feel free to get in touch. Oh and likewise if you notice any errors or mistakes!!

Download here:

http://www.jamesagrant.webspace.virg...ulator_v1.xlsx

Last edited by saintjimbo1885; 04-11-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 8

I can not seem to get the historical calculatort to work. I have an older version of excel. Would you be able to talk me through the process, please?

KCRoyals
Old 04-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRoyals
I can not seem to get the historical calculatort to work. I have an older version of excel. Would you be able to talk me through the process, please?

KCRoyals

I'm not actually sure if the historic calculator will work with older versions of excel, as I am unable to test it, as I use the 2010 version.

Basically, when you load the calculator you should get a security warning that data connections have been disabled, so you want to click on the Enable Content button - this allows excel to contact the web for the data it requires.

Having done that it should just be a case of selecting a year from either the batting or pitching drop down box. Once you have selected a year, you need to wait until all the data has finished loading (bottom left of excel window) before you select a batter or pitcher. Sometimes an error comes up that it is unable to connect, due to it timing out (taking too long to gather all the data). If this happens just select another year and then go back to the one you want.

If you could let me know what is happening when you try to run it then I might be able to help and/or fix the problem??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 8

Must be a compatitability issue with the historical calculator. I can not get the year to show up for pitchers.

The calculator compatitablily for current players works fine with my excel.

If I could get the historical calculator to work, it would be so much easier the complete my all time roster set.

KCRoyals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters »