Home

Jimbo's Ratings Calculator inc. Historic Calculator (with downloads)

This is a discussion on Jimbo's Ratings Calculator inc. Historic Calculator (with downloads) within the MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Jimbo's Ratings Calculator inc. Historic Calculator (with downloads)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjimbo1885
Due to the fact I am unable to modify the opening post of my original thread (banned!!), this is where all my downloads and updates will now be located.

As well as my original calculator, I now have a new version that is linked to Brooks Baseball and downloads pitch f/x data for 2011-2013 into the calculator.

I also now have a historic ratings calculator that allows you to create ratings from 1950 onwards.

Both the Brooks Baseball version of the calculator and the historic ratings calculator pull information from the web, so an internet connection is needed for them to work.

Not sure how my ratings will compare to those in MLB The Show 2014 but as usual all the formulas can be modified in the "Calcs" tab and there are alternative formulas listed here as well.

26/03/14 --- New thread started to replace the old one!!
02/04/14 --- Brooks Baseball version of the calculator available to download
14/04/14 --- Fixed issue with pitcher year drop down menu (Historic)
16/04/14 --- Fixed problem with wrong baserunning formula being used (Historic)
17/04/14 --- Fixed issue with the 1969 vsLHP data (Historic)
18/04/14 --- A trial V2 of the Historic Calculator now features personal info
30/04/14 --- A couple of pitcher clutch rating formulas added to historic calc

2014 Calculator (original basic version)
========================
http://www.jamesagrant.webspace.virg...ator_2014.xlsx

2014 Calculator - Original version combined with Brooks Baseball version
==============================================
http://www.jamesagrant.webspace.virg...r_2014_v2.xlsx

2014 Calculator for those with older versions of excel or open office
==========================================
http://www.jamesagrant.webspace.virg...atability.xlsx

MiLB Calculator (Work in progress!!)
=======================
http://www.jamesagrant.webspace.virg...ator_2014.xlsx

Historic Ratings Calculator (Create ratings from 1950 onwards)
=========================================
http://www.jamesagrant.webspace.virg...ulator_v1.xlsx

http://www.jamesagrant.webspace.virg...ulator_v2.xlsx
* V2 Trial version - see note on Page 5 for one issue!!

If you have any questions or problems then feel free to get in touch!!

I have never been able to determine what exactly clutch does and when it is activated in the game. I'm curious how you determined the clutch rating.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #50
Rookie

With the historic ratings calculator it is difficult to put a figure on clutch, due to the lack of data available.

The only stats available are VORP, WARP, ERA and FRA, so I have a number of formulas listed that will hopefully appeal to people.

Joey has pointed out the problem with my original VORP formula with regards to closers, so I am going to change the default formula to one that uses ERA instead.

(All my formulas and alternatives are listed on the Calcs tab of the calculator)

Of course all this is dependent on clutch even existing, which is probably a debate for another day!!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #51
Rookie

Personally, I would say that in the game clutch represents a players ability to gain a hit when there are runners in scoring position and of course the reverse for pitchers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #52
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjimbo1885
With the historic ratings calculator it is difficult to put a figure on clutch, due to the lack of data available.

The only stats available are VORP, WARP, ERA and FRA, so I have a number of formulas listed that will hopefully appeal to people.

Joey has pointed out the problem with my original VORP formula with regards to closers, so I am going to change the default formula to one that uses ERA instead.

(All my formulas and alternatives are listed on the Calcs tab of the calculator)

Of course all this is dependent on clutch even existing, which is probably a debate for another day!!
I asked about clutch because it is one thing I've never exactly figured out in terms of how it impacts the game. It was either mlbts11 or mlbts12 which may have provided a clue. If you paused the game to look a the pitch analysis screen there was a category for "risp clutch". Very few pitches showed up in that category. My memory is tie game & runners in scoring position was the only time pitches were added to "risp clutch".

That changed my perception of what clutch was. I used to think any time a runner was in scoring position clutch was activated.

You have done a lot of work on your calculator. Good job.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #53
French Fried Taters, mhmm

puppies_on_acid's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm using Open Office to load the calculator. It loads up just fine but I cant get it to download the data when I select the year. Does anyone have any idea how or even if this works with Open Office?

Edit: This is the historical calculator, by the way...
Old 05-01-2014, 12:44 AM   #54
Pro

OVR: 4

I think you gotta have full Excel 2010...I tried using Office Starter Excel and wouldn't work cuz couldn't enable content. Once I used full Excel 2010 it started pulling the data from online. Hope this helps man.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:32 AM   #55
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppies_on_acid
I'm using Open Office to load the calculator. It loads up just fine but I cant get it to download the data when I select the year. Does anyone have any idea how or even if this works with Open Office?

Edit: This is the historical calculator, by the way...

Will have a look and see if I can come up with something when I get home from work tonight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2014, 05:59 AM   #56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I asked about clutch because it is one thing I've never exactly figured out in terms of how it impacts the game. It was either mlbts11 or mlbts12 which may have provided a clue. If you paused the game to look a the pitch analysis screen there was a category for "risp clutch". Very few pitches showed up in that category. My memory is tie game & runners in scoring position was the only time pitches were added to "risp clutch".

That changed my perception of what clutch was. I used to think any time a runner was in scoring position clutch was activated.

You have done a lot of work on your calculator. Good job.

I've often wondered if when the clutch rating comes into effect, the controller vibrates, which would mean it actually rarely occurs during a normal game??

I might start taking a note of when this happens, to see if there is any kind of link.

I'm guessing it would be RISP with at least one out and maybe some other parameters??

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters »