Home

The Phoenix Slider Set v1.0 for MLB 10 + In-depth slider descriptions

This is a discussion on The Phoenix Slider Set v1.0 for MLB 10 + In-depth slider descriptions within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #97
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: The Phoenix Slider Set v1.0 for MLB 10 + In-depth slider descriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana2rice
Phoenix...I just plugged in your slider set halfway through spring training and just started my franchise not too long ago. I only adjusted the hitting difficulty for my skill level. Right now I'm 1-4 and all have been exciting games, never felt that the AI cheated me on my losses.

I've seen different types of hits from scorchers down the line, to doubles, even had a triple at AT&T park with Sandoval last night. I was just wondering what numbers are you getting for the opposing pitchers pitch count. Maybe I'm not showing enough patience at the plate to get a higher number. So far I feel my starters pitch count is fairly accurate. What results are you getting? Thanks again...loving the sliders so far.
I work the count pretty well with the following hitting approach:

First you need to scout your whole team, and by scout, I mean examine every player's hot and cold zones. Remember, if you are looking at them on their card, the hot zones are switched; the vs Righties zones are their zones against Lefties instead. The in-game H/C zones are correct. Look for a 4-quadrant zone where everything is hot. Ideally you want something like this:
XXO
XXO
OOO

You want to look for something in that zone until you get 2 strikes, and you'll want to use the power swing if you batter has decent power (like 15-20Hr power). You can use the contact swing instead so you can check but as you get better at pitch recognition, move up to the power swing. Don't swing at anything that's not in that zone before 2 strikes.

If someone has a zone like this:
OOO
OXX
OXO

You're going to want to look in this area:
OOO
OXX
OXX

You have to know you're players' strengths and weaknesses and swing at what they like, not what you like.

Using this method allows you to automatically work the count since you aren't swinging at anything that's not in the zone you are looking in.

You have to go up to the plate with a plan of attack. You just can't be swinging at everything that is a strike. Good pitchers throw strikes that are designed to get you out.

If you just feel the CPU just isn't throwing enough balls try lowering strike frequency a couple notches.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #98
#QuestForSix

JahMarLen's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixmgs
You have to know you're players' strengths and weaknesses and swing at what they like, not what you like.
See, this is exactly my problem. I tend do swing at pitches that I like and not use the hitters strengths (hot zone). Last night I did study my team's (SF Giants) hot/cold zone and I tell you, it did the trick. A come from behind win for the Giants, but this time it was my first walk off jack (for mlb10). I just waited for the pitcher to serve me one where Bengie Molina liked it and "CRACK" it was GONE! Very exciting game...Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana2rice
See, this is exactly my problem. I tend do swing at pitches that I like and not use the hitters strengths (hot zone). Last night I did study my team's (SF Giants) hot/cold zone and I tell you, it did the trick. A come from behind win for the Giants, but this time it was my first walk off jack (for mlb10). I just waited for the pitcher to serve me one where Bengie Molina liked it and "CRACK" it was GONE! Very exciting game...Thanks for the tip!
Awesome. There is a big difference when you hit pitches in your players' hot zones compare to their cold zones. Also, you should be able to become a better hitter yourself by doing this. For example, if you're a low ball hitter and you have a couple high ball hitters on your team, then start looking for high fastballs when those players are up. Over time, you'll become a better high ball hitter because you're focusing on high pitches when they are at the plate.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #100
Pro

OVR: 5

hotzones fluctuate during the course of the game right or no? and hotzones is a feature that can be toggled off i think... what happens at that point with respect to hitting results once you press X?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:54 PM   #101
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcabc
hotzones fluctuate during the course of the game right or no? and hotzones is a feature that can be toggled off i think... what happens at that point with respect to hitting results once you press X?
I don't think hotzones fluctuate during the game (over the season they do), batter confidence fluctuates obviously. Hotzones can be toggled off visually but they are always on. When you press X or [], the game uses a lot of equations to determine the type of hit (assuming you made contact) based on a lot of factors like: whether you used the contact swing or power swing, your timing and stick placement, your batter's hitting attributes, the pitcher's attributes, the pitcher's confidence, the pitch confidence, the batter's confidence, if the ball was hit in a hot zone or cold zone, whether you used the right stick to influence the hit, and probably much more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #102
Banned

OVR: 8

Hey Phoenix I dont know if you have used the newest version of rosters the OS V4 Rerated but I played a couple of games and it was almost like a new copy of the show. I don't know what they did but CPU chases pitches way more realistically and overall gameplay felt great using your exact sliders. Obviously I don't have enough sample too make a good judgement but Im just wondering if you have used this roster and what your opinion is.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #103
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcern23
Hey Phoenix I dont know if you have used the newest version of rosters the OS V4 Rerated but I played a couple of games and it was almost like a new copy of the show. I don't know what they did but CPU chases pitches way more realistically and overall gameplay felt great using your exact sliders. Obviously I don't have enough sample too make a good judgement but Im just wondering if you have used this roster and what your opinion is.
I just started a new season a week ago and I didn't use the OS roster because the Cubs rookie starting shortstop Starlin Castro is not in the roster for some reason. Maybe he's on the Cubs roster but just not on the 40 man roster since season mode only uses players on the 40 man roster. The SCEA roster had him so I used SCEA's roster because there's no minor leagues in season mode anyways. I am using the OS V1 roster in my RTTS though and Starlin Castro is on the Cubs AAA team in that roster.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #104
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixmgs
I don't think hotzones fluctuate during the game (over the season they do), batter confidence fluctuates obviously. Hotzones can be toggled off visually but they are always on. When you press X or [], the game uses a lot of equations to determine the type of hit (assuming you made contact) based on a lot of factors like: whether you used the contact swing or power swing, your timing and stick placement, your batter's hitting attributes, the pitcher's attributes, the pitcher's confidence, the pitch confidence, the batter's confidence, if the ball was hit in a hot zone or cold zone, whether you used the right stick to influence the hit, and probably much more.
hmm if theyre still on even when toggling off, then as a batter we gotta familarize our team's lineup of hotzones then, otherwise we are at a disadvantage, because the cpu pitcher is using it to avoid throwing to your batter hotzone, just teasing around it as much has his accuracy allows.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »