Home

Bobhead's Sliders

This is a discussion on Bobhead's Sliders within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #113
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: Bobhead's Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by pberardi
I am very intrigued by your analysis of sliders and what you've put together here. I play on HOF (hitting and pitching) and many of the issues you address were my issues as well. I too agree that pitching especially the cpu and relievers are far too accurate and consistent. My fear which is probably based on myth was that the cpu would chalk up too many "meat" pitches and winning would become easy when cpu control and consistency were lowered well below default.

The cpu paints the corners far too much, imo. Relievers are like robo pitchers and pound the strike zone in late innings.

So my question is this. I am getting about 3.5 walks per game and really enjoy the fact that I can work the count deep.

I've always believed that part of my success was due in part to a lower strike frequency. That is, the cpu aggression was lowered so that it would once in awhile, throw ball 4 on 3-2 counts.

You have strike frequency at 5. MY complaint about HOF was that the cpu was too strike happy unless the frequency was lowered. Is this a wrong assumption? You seem to emphasize that lowering the control and consistency will provide the necessary pitch counts and walk opportunities without the need to lower frequency. What results would make you want to lower it?(frequency) Lack of walks? too many user strikeouts?
I agree with your sentiments completely, the CPU paints the corners excessively, and the "robo pitcher" thing is completely accurate. However, lowering Strike Frequency doesn't really change this. It only changes aggression, and this aggression (or lack of) is only a factor at the start of the at-bat. Decreasing it to 0 won't make the pitcher significantly more likely to throw a ball on 3-0, unless it was intentional to start with.

Without a change in accuracy, that 3-0 pitch is still probably going to be a slider on the corner, the 3-1 pitch is still going to be a high fastball, and the 3-2 pitch is still going to be strike 3. All lowering Strike Frequency really does is make the CPU pitcher less prone to challenge hitters. Yes this leads to deep counts and increased walks, but these deep counts and walks also include your #9 hitter/pitcher - my biggest problem with a large cut to Strike Frequency.

To answer the question in your last paragraph, I have been considering a 1 point decrease to Strike Frequency in the back of my mind, for quite some time. The biggest reason to lower Strike Frequency would probably be to reduce the frequency of "meatball" pitches.

Lowering Strike Frequency would make the pitcher more comfortable with pitching around your hitters, and less apt to just lay one in there in attempt to avoid a walk. This is more of a perception thing though, no stat can really tell you how many meatball pitches you are averaging. This is probably why I've yet to make a change (and probably won't, with the year being where it is, and most of us already deep into franchises), but I have definitely wanted to try and play around with a slightly lower strike frequency, although I haven't really had the time or commitment to do it.

I would want to raise Strike Frequency if I felt that the CPU was pitching around too many batters, and that they weren't challenging the strike zone enough, ie: if first-pitch strike percentages were excessively low, and pitches-per-at-bat were excessively high, not that I am familiar with what the average length of an at-bat is in MLB.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #114
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I agree with your sentiments completely, the CPU paints the corners excessively, and the "robo pitcher" thing is completely accurate. However, lowering Strike Frequency doesn't really change this. It only changes aggression, and this aggression (or lack of) is only a factor at the start of the at-bat. Decreasing it to 0 won't make the pitcher significantly more likely to throw a ball on 3-0, unless it was intentional to start with.

Without a change in accuracy, that 3-0 pitch is still probably going to be a slider on the corner, the 3-1 pitch is still going to be a high fastball, and the 3-2 pitch is still going to be strike 3. All lowering Strike Frequency really does is make the CPU pitcher less prone to challenge hitters. Yes this leads to deep counts and increased walks, but these deep counts and walks also include your #9 hitter/pitcher - my biggest problem with a large cut to Strike Frequency.

To answer the question in your last paragraph, I have been considering a 1 point decrease to Strike Frequency in the back of my mind, for quite some time. The biggest reason to lower Strike Frequency would probably be to reduce the frequency of "meatball" pitches.

Lowering Strike Frequency would make the pitcher more comfortable with pitching around your hitters, and less apt to just lay one in there in attempt to avoid a walk. This is more of a perception thing though, no stat can really tell you how many meatball pitches you are averaging. This is probably why I've yet to make a change (and probably won't, with the year being where it is, and most of us already deep into franchises), but I have definitely wanted to try and play around with a slightly lower strike frequency, although I haven't really had the time or commitment to do it.

I would want to raise Strike Frequency if I felt that the CPU was pitching around too many batters, and that they weren't challenging the strike zone enough, ie: if first-pitch strike percentages were excessively low, and pitches-per-at-bat were excessively high, not that I am familiar with what the average length of an at-bat is in MLB.
Excellent analysis. I played my first game with your sliders facing Josh Beckett. This of course is a perfect ace pitcher to start with. I managed to walk 4x vs. Beckett, something I had not done since playing MLB the show.

he did walk me 2x in the 8th (which he had no business being in the 8th as his fatugue was very low). The score was 8-2 (Redsox) and Beckett's confidence meter was about 7/8ths full which meant he was dealing pretty good. I honestly believe he struggled in the 8th due to your slider configuration of control 4, consistency 1, etc....

I managed to get his 60% strike level down to 58% by the 8th as seems to be my usual game but increased walks and my strikeouts were down to 6 compared to the usual 10 vs. an ace like Josh.

The comfort was my hits were only 6 and I managed a 2-run homer.

Even though Beckett was dominating, I did not feel overwhelmed. Every at bat was a decent one, most strikeouts required 5 pitches or more before Beckett struck me out.

It will be interesting to see when I face 4th and 5th rotation guys to see if my offense sees improvement. By the way, I still chased 11 pitches as is my normal game which means my eye for the plate can still be challenged.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #115
Banned

OVR: 11

Will these sliders work on All Star pitching and hitting with Meter pitching and zone hitting?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #116
Just started!

OVR: 0

I know it's a bit late but I like this mlb.
but I wanted to know if the final sliders are from the main page or page 14.
I'm using the one on page 14 and they're great at working with the pitcher in lague accounts, of course, you have to have good discipline to do it and what I see as a rare thing is that the relievers to the first batter is base by ball is normal?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »