Home

Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 14 Version]

This is a discussion on Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 14 Version] within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #41
Rookie

nonoirie's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 14 Version]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Sorry that the spreadsheet is not very easy to understand. That line is hitting for CWS. So it's actually James Shields who pitched a no hitter. I think it was the second or third no-no I've seen in the game, haha...
Thank you for the clarification. I'm MoMer and I have yet seen a no hitter in any year.

Main reason why I asked you this is because I believe there is a hard-code behind the scene where CPU will leaves the pitcher in the game until their arms falls off if he's pitching a shut-out or better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #42
Pro

ralphieboy11's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonoirie
Thank you for the clarification. I'm MoMer and I have yet seen a no hitter in any year.

Main reason why I asked you this is because I believe there is a hard-code behind the scene where CPU will leaves the pitcher in the game until their arms falls off if he's pitching a shut-out or better.
Yep. And it's still there this year as well. I've seen a performance in the 140s already. I wish they could cap it at around 130, then bring in a reliever for the next batter after that.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #43
Rookie

nonoirie's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieboy11
Yep. And it's still there this year as well. I've seen a performance in the 140s already. I wish they could cap it at around 130, then bring in a reliever for the next batter after that.
IMO, if pitcher is throwing a no-hitter or better, the code should be triggered but not for shut-outs or worse.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #44
Senior AI Programmer - MLB: The Show

OVR: 7

Quick update. I look at this yesterday and this morning, and also ran some deeper tests overnight.

A few observations: Below average stealers (around 25 ability, 50 speed) fail more than they should, and it's partly hidden because they don't steal often to begin with. For decent stealers (50 ability, 75 speed) - let's call them "2nd-tier" stealers - a lot of steals are being decided by a very small margin (i.e. a few frames or <50-100ms), and this clustering is denser than it should be. Pitch speed can only account for a fraction of the difference, but still more than it would on paper because of the clustering. Something else must explain the rest of the gap. The most important lead I found was that certain pitchers appear to unrealistically hard to steal against.

I did a search and found one significant change from last year that would account for some of this. It's intended to aesthetically prevent runners from getting "too good" a jump against pitchers, but the actual result is that for pitchers with fast stretch deliveries and also 2nd and 3rd tier runners the steal balance is affected. It causes clustering where they're frequently "almost safe" because of the cap, and even a small shift either way will change steal balance more than it normally should. In addition, I'm looking at other factors related to this that make it hard for lower tiered runners to steal. Unfortunately, since the issue is caused by a cap, the base running slider will only help whenever the cap is not happening (ironically).

I'm working on other bugs as well, but when all things are done I'd be happy to go into more detail.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #45
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Jeez...

A 75 game test and a PM get Brian to do an all nighter!

I know I've said it before but it's an absolute privilege to be able to play a game that receives so much Developer dedication. I know a lot in your industry are just as dedicated, but I DON'T KNOW how often you guys get thanked for it. So yeah. Thank you.

This aesthetic change you mentioned; do you feel that it's possible that steals can be improved on your end without compromising the reason behind the visual change? Or is it too early to tell?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #46
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Jeez...

A 75 game test and a PM get Brian to do an all nighter!

I know I've said it before but it's an absolute privilege to be able to play a game that receives so much Developer dedication. I know a lot in your industry are just as dedicated, but I DON'T KNOW how often you guys get thanked for it. So yeah. Thank you.

This aesthetic change you mentioned; do you feel that it's possible that steals can be improved on your end without compromising the reason behind the visual change? Or is it too early to tell?
I feel guilt bring up issues but as SCEA are the most responsive dev team I've ever seen it's hard not to, I know they will follow every lead and improve the game as much as they possibly are levied by the people above them. I spend money on so much crap over the year but my $60 for The Show is a no brainier and never regretted.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #47
Pro

ralphieboy11's Arena

OVR: 4

Thanks a lot, Brian.

I have noticed cpu pitchers doing sort of a slide step from time to time with runners on first.

Plus there's that animation I mentioned before where the 2B or SS really gets the tag down quick to get the runner on a bounced throw from the catcher.

I can't remember a bounced throw last year resulting in anything but a safe call at 2nd.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #48
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

If somebody has PMed the dev because of what I'm doing in this thread (I never PM a dev myself), I actually do not appreciate that. There is a bug report form at theshownation.com, and that's a good enough venue to get developer's attention.

Some people seem to take the access and interaction with the developers here in the forum for granted, and I am not sure if that will be to a good effect over a long term. The developers here must be bombarded with PMs if people casually try to reach them.

I'm sorry, Brian, but thanks for the detailed update. We of course appreciate your time interacting with us. I keep saying this but we are indeed extremely lucky to have you work on our favorite sport game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »