Home

Difference between All-Star and Veteran

This is a discussion on Difference between All-Star and Veteran within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Difference between All-Star and Veteran

For those that have played on both levels, can you describe what is different about the two levels?

All I know is that All-Star has zone hitting vs. Veteran timed hitting. I expect it to be harder but are there significant differences besides a simple jump in difficulty? Does the CPU pitch differently or execute different strategies? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Difference between All-Star and Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
For those that have played on both levels, can you describe what is different about the two levels?

All I know is that All-Star has zone hitting vs. Veteran timed hitting. I expect it to be harder but are there significant differences besides a simple jump in difficulty? Does the CPU pitch differently or execute different strategies? Thanks.
Good question: I'm anxious to hear from folks. I just played my last game on Veteran. I'm going to Allstar. It's not because I'm too good, but because I think it Veteran plays just like last year's game with the exception of an extra walk per game. BFD. Other than that its the same old 17 hit fiesta with too many 0-2 counts. Once again, working the count is for losers.

I'm hoping in allstar, the cpu nibbles more and is less predictable on certain counts. My fear is striking out 10x per game will eventually lead me to that "other" game.

Damn, can't they make a game that has good pitching and good hitting engines combined? If I play MVP, I have an ERA of 1.50 but boxscores are very accurate. If I play MLB, my pitchers ERA is 4.25 but my hitters put up Hall of Fame #'s!....very frustrating.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

pb

Did you try editing your teams contact attributes to see if it makes it harder for you to get hits? I'm guessing that there is some sort of "zone" that increases/decreases in relation to a players contact ratings.I guess it would be like altering the size of the bat. It's worth a try before you move to All-Star(if you're worried about strikeouts)

M.K.
Knight165
Old 03-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
pb

Did you try editing your teams contact attributes to see if it makes it harder for you to get hits? I'm guessing that there is some sort of "zone" that increases/decreases in relation to a players contact ratings.I guess it would be like altering the size of the bat. It's worth a try before you move to All-Star(if you're worried about strikeouts)

M.K.
Knight165
No, my frustration is deeper than that. First, the cpu gets too many hits, many are meaningless that prolong the innings. If I lower my attributes, I'm handicapping my team's performance compared to the rest of the league?

The difference between this year's game is simple. Instead of striking out on 3-2, 2-2 counts, the cpu throws fastballs over the plate. That's ok for some at bats, but mix it up a little! Give me some balls outside the plate for some more walks.
When the cpu's pitching confidence meter is low, he throws fastball after fastball down the plate. Like a jerk, I'm looking at them trying to work the count. Well you can't work the count down 0-2. So I changed my approach and "hack" away. The result? 17 hits, 11 runs, blah, blah.

Believe me Knight, I'm not that good to deserve such great offense.

This is not nitpicking, its a real problem with playing style. Once again, MLB has failed to offer pitch variety (not to be confused with hit variety). When all is said, I'm averaging 2 walks per game with an occasional 4-5 walk game. Improvement" yes, but hardly enough to get excited about.

I deal with the strikeouts on Allstar. Thanks for your concern, I know you speak for the game.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pberardi
No, my frustration is deeper than that. First, the cpu gets too many hits, many are meaningless that prolong the innings. If I lower my attributes, I'm handicapping my team's performance compared to the rest of the league?

The difference between this year's game is simple. Instead of striking out on 3-2, 2-2 counts, the cpu throws fastballs over the plate. That's ok for some at bats, but mix it up a little! Give me some balls outside the plate for some more walks.
When the cpu's pitching confidence meter is low, he throws fastball after fastball down the plate. Like a jerk, I'm looking at them trying to work the count. Well you can't work the count down 0-2. So I changed my approach and "hack" away. The result? 17 hits, 11 runs, blah, blah.

Believe me Knight, I'm not that good to deserve such great offense.

This is not nitpicking, its a real problem with playing style. Once again, MLB has failed to offer pitch variety (not to be confused with hit variety). When all is said, I'm averaging 2 walks per game with an occasional 4-5 walk game. Improvement" yes, but hardly enough to get excited about.

I deal with the strikeouts on Allstar. Thanks for your concern, I know you speak for the game.
Do you have API on or off? Where do you have the pitcher Aggressiveness slider and pitch count set at?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Do you have API on or off? Where do you have the pitcher Aggressiveness slider and pitch count set at?
API is off
Aggressive Slider is down 8 clicks to the left
Pitch Count - almost maxed.

With respect to the original poster, I apologize. I don't mean to monopolize the thread with my complaints.

Is there a big skill level leap on Allstar? Does the CPU paint the black alot more? Can you hit with just "x" instead of zone?

Are you walking 3-4x consistently?
Old 03-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pberardi
With respect to the original poster, I apologize. I don't mean to monopolize the thread with my complaints.

Is there a big skill level leap on Allstar? Does the CPU paint the black alot more? Can you hit with just "x" instead of zone?

Are you walking 3-4x consistently?
Don't worry about it.

Threads need to have some leeway to them anyways. Hopefully someone will still answer our questions about the All-Star level. I'm pretty happy on Veteran and don't want to waste my time moving up a level, tweaking slidesr, etc. if I'm not going to be happy in the long run.

Rudy
Old 03-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 9

Well, jumping between Veteran and AllStar, I found that on AllStar, my hitting was basically the same, and that is with using timed hitting. The problem I had was with pitching on AllStar. I just couldn't do it. My pitchers would get creamed. So, I kept going back to Veteran. I will probably continue to try All Star every now and then to see if I can get my pitching better.

tfigs

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »