Home

Can someone break down baserunning for me??

This is a discussion on Can someone break down baserunning for me?? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
Can someone break down baserunning for me??

Seems very counterintuitive to me. Lost a game last night cuz I couldn't score from second in the 8th. If someone could just break down the base running controls, I'd appreciate it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Can someone break down baserunning for me??

It is really very good once you get used to it. It is the opposite of MVP 2005 if you ever played it. I'll do my best to explain how it works...

When a ball is in play you can do a number of things...

R1 advances all runners (I usually press this repededly if I want everyone to keep running). However, I've noticed that this method sometimes results in a slight hiccup as the baserunners round the bases. Controlling each individual baserunner is the best way to go.

You have to use the left analog stick to select each runner on the basepaths. You will know you have selected them because the blue circles will blink. Once you have a baserunner selected all you do is press the button that corresponds to the base you want hi to advance to. For example...

If I have runners on 1st and 2nd and I drive a ball into the gap the first thing I do is press up on the left analog stick (this selects my runner at 2nd base who is advancign to thrid). After I have selected him just press "X" and that tells him to go home.

After that I would have pressed right on the left analog stick to select the runner that was on first base who is advancing to second. Once he is selected I press the Square button to tell him to go to third base. The last thing I usually do is press right on the right analog stick to select the batter that should be rounding first. Depending on the throw from the cut off man I may press the Triangle button to send him to second.

This may sound a little confusing but the baserunning is done very well once you get used to it.

Also R2 stops all runners on the basepaths and I think L2 returns all runners (can't remember).
Old 07-23-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by annan
Seems very counterintuitive to me. Lost a game last night cuz I couldn't score from second in the 8th. If someone could just break down the base running controls, I'd appreciate it.
If you have a runner at second and get a base hit the first thing you should do after the ball is hit is press up on the right analog stick. This selects your runner at second. From there press X. That will tell him to go home. You can even designate a slide for him if you want. This sound like a lot to do given only a couple of seconds but once you learn it, it become second nature. I don't even have to think about it anymore.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 4

Haha, that seems hard as ****. Thanks though man.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:28 AM   #5
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by annan
Haha, that seems hard as ****. Thanks though man.
It does sound complicated when it is typed out like that. But it comes very naturally once you get the hang of it. Baserunning is one of my favorite aspects of this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 01:02 AM   #6
Rookie

djo201's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
It is really very good once you get used to it. It is the opposite of MVP 2005 if you ever played it. I'll do my best to explain how it works...

When a ball is in play you can do a number of things...

R1 advances all runners (I usually press this repededly if I want everyone to keep running). However, I've noticed that this method sometimes results in a slight hiccup as the baserunners round the bases. Controlling each individual baserunner is the best way to go.

You have to use the left analog stick to select each runner on the basepaths. You will know you have selected them because the blue circles will blink. Once you have a baserunner selected all you do is press the button that corresponds to the base you want hi to advance to. For example...

If I have runners on 1st and 2nd and I drive a ball into the gap the first thing I do is press up on the left analog stick (this selects my runner at 2nd base who is advancign to thrid). After I have selected him just press "X" and that tells him to go home.

After that I would have pressed right on the left analog stick to select the runner that was on first base who is advancing to second. Once he is selected I press the Square button to tell him to go to third base. The last thing I usually do is press right on the right analog stick to select the batter that should be rounding first. Depending on the throw from the cut off man I may press the Triangle button to send him to second.

This may sound a little confusing but the baserunning is done very well once you get used to it.

Also R2 stops all runners on the basepaths and I think L2 returns all runners (can't remember).
Actually, L1 advances all runners, while R1 returns them. Also, you said you press it repeatedly if you want everyone to keep running. What I do is just keep it pressed until they reach the desired base and, if needed, use the analog stick method.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Everytime that I am batting and I have a man on 3rd base, he automatically starts to head home and I get picked off by the pitcher.

What am I doing wrong?

I have to hold the analog stick because I am batting. But maybe I'm pressing something wrong or prematurely? I'm not trying to lead runners or anything.

Help!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »