Home

Good game, but not MVP

This is a discussion on Good game, but not MVP within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Good game, but not MVP

This game is great in details and is a solid baseball game
but it sure isn't groundbreaking like MVP was. I bought a ps3 this year for this game and like it but am somewhat disappointed. It lacks in hit variety... (can you ever get a blooper?). The fielding is boring and not very involved. I can hardly tell if one fielder has a better arm than another. In MVP when a fielder had a bad arm it would show or your accuracy would be very poor. Something feels like it's really missing in that department. The baserunning controls are ok but not that great. I do like the responsiveness though. You might as well have it on auto because thats basically what manual fielding is in this game. I can't say that it's the best game of all time because even though it's good and does a lot of things right, it does a lot of things wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #2

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Good game, but not MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan
This game is great in details and is a solid baseball game
but it sure isn't groundbreaking like MVP was. I bought a ps3 this year for this game and like it but am somewhat disappointed. It lacks in hit variety... (can you ever get a blooper?). The fielding is boring and not very involved. I can hardly tell if one fielder has a better arm than another. In MVP when a fielder had a bad arm it would show or your accuracy would be very poor. Something feels like it's really missing in that department. The baserunning controls are ok but not that great. I do like the responsiveness though. You might as well have it on auto because thats basically what manual fielding is in this game. I can't say that it's the best game of all time because even though it's good and does a lot of things right, it does a lot of things wrong.
Itsnot trying to be MVP, its trying to be the Show.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

I don't see how this is contributing to the greater good...
Old 04-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I love baseball, more than any sport out there. I've played them all also. With that said MVP was a very good game especially with PC/mods. However MVP had it's own issues and is getting to the realm of most over exagerated great title in history. Again it was good but it was never the holy grail of baseball games that each year people claim it to be especially the console version. Flame me if you want but that's the way I feel.

Also like previously mentioned The Show isn't trying to be MVP but rather it's own game.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 04-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 6

I agree in that the show is not MVP but I feel that MVP has been the greatest baseball game ever and even the Show is great this year it still falls short to MVP. To me hitting physics in MVP are still superior to The Show. In MVP there were a wide variety of hits and situations. In the Show i see either singles, groundouts, or homeruns. And thats pretty much it. But Ill give credit where credit is due and The Show is BY FAR the best right now and the closest to being the greatest baseball game yet but still has some work to do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I love baseball, more than any sport out there. I've played them all also. With that said MVP was a very good game especially with PC/mods. However MVP had it's own issues and is getting to the realm of most over exagerated great title in history. Again it was good but it was never the holy grail of baseball games that each year people claim it to be especially the console version. Flame me if you want but that's the way I feel.

Also like previously mentioned The Show isn't trying to be MVP but rather it's own game.
Agreed. 2K5 and MVP 05 (good year for sports, actually) were both top notch games and are worthy of the praise they were given. They have both, however, reached a state of worship that is almost scary...lol.

2K5 is a bit more understandable to me (though not entirely), since there is only one football option and it hasn't come close to the level of quality that game had. MVP I think gets muddled due to the PC updates. The console version is WELL past it's prime, IMO.

I'm sure it's all related to them being killed in their prime and all that, but it's an odd thread to start an IMO, completely unproductive.

EDIT: and I completely disagree about the hit variety. I see plenty of different hits, so I'm not sure where those complaints are coming from by some people. I would only agree about the level of control offered is still lagging, particularly in the field.

As far as comparisons go, this game reminds me more of the ASB series with MUCH better gameplay. That's not a bad thing either, folks. ASB got a lot of detail right...particularly on the periphery. Couple that comparison with the tight gameplay of The Show, and it's clear to me why this game is so good and appreciated. Just my 2 pennies.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 04-02-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: also...
Old 04-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryantLee
I agree in that the show is not MVP but I feel that MVP has been the greatest baseball game ever and even the Show is great this year it still falls short to MVP.

Quote:
To me hitting physics in MVP are still superior to The Show. In MVP there were a wide variety of hits and situations. In the Show i see either singles, groundouts, or homeruns.

You either don't play very much or you don't play very well.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

Have to agree with azamien.

I must be playing a different game, the hit variety is superb in mine, maybe i got a broken one

MVP was great...for its time but im sorry that time was many years ago, it simply cant touch the Show now on any level.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »