Home

Why does this game take so long to load?

This is a discussion on Why does this game take so long to load? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #49
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Why does this game take so long to load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbguy311
Be objective here guys. It's not like this is the only baseball game ever released. I know this is not that great of an example but MVP 2005 for the GCN took 8 seconds to load a game. Now the PS3 is much more powerful and the graphics are much better but the required install should have been able to get the load times down to 2ks level at least. There is no way it should take this long to load up to the main menu and then load a game. The install should have helped out a lot and even more care should have been taken. It's like you guys are just picking and choosing what I'm typing and not reading everything. Again, other games on PS3 have proven that short load times are a reality but you are willing to overlook the fact that this game takes much longer to load than it should.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #50
Pro

GoBucs09's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Wow! I did not know his board becomes hostile when someone states an opinion. You learn something new everyday.
I don't think it was entirely the opinion itself that the board was being hostile towards. I think part of the blame rests on the way it was presented.

Statements like:
Quote:
I know the devs can get the load times shorter if they want. It's just a matter of them wanting to try to or not.
and
Quote:
Thing is, the game required a 5GB install and it still takes a long time to load. Just imagine how long it would have taken without an install. The devs really need to do a better job.
Imply that you think the dev's are not trying and that they are failing to do a good job. The inherent problem with that is you are unqualified to make a statement like that. There are two types of opinions, valid opinions and non-valid opinions. Non-valid ones if taken too far tend to get a hostile response. For instance if I were to claim that the moon is made of cheese, that would be considered a non-valid opinion and if I persisted with this opinion, i could expect a hostile response.

Quote:
Be objective here guys. It's not like this is the only baseball game ever released. I know this is not that great of an example but MVP 2005 for the GCN took 8 seconds to load a game. Now the PS3 is much more powerful and the graphics are much better but the required install should have been able to get the load times down to 2ks level at least. There is no way it should take this long to load up to the main menu and then load a game. The install should have helped out a lot and even more care should have been taken. It's like you guys are just picking and choosing what I'm typing and not reading everything. Again, other games on PS3 have proven that short load times are a reality but you are willing to overlook the fact that this game takes much longer to load than it should.
Again I kind of have to ask, how are you qualified to state that the difference in design from one game to another is affecting load times? It seems like you are failing to grasp some concepts that have already been stated in this thread and trying to make something out of nothing.

If you wish the game would load faster, fine just say that and be done with it, trying to falsely justify bashing the devs isn't going to get you anywhere when you don't really understand what it takes to design a game.

If you happen to be a game designer, why don't you provide some in depth knowledge as to what the developers at SCEA could do to reduce load time without sacrificing gameplay quality.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 1

Okay now correct me if I'm wrong but the mandatory 5GB install is supposed to reduce load times correct? Since 5GB of space is now in use just for this game, why does it still take so long to load?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #52
MVP

Darkleaf's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Okay now correct me if I'm wrong but the mandatory 5GB install is supposed to reduce load times correct? Since 5GB of space is now in use just for this game, why does it still take so long to load?
Nice thinly veiled bump of your thread...
Old 04-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #53
MVP

Darkleaf's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Why would they want to purposely aggravate people? A load time of 20 seconds, and then another 20, we're probably talking about a minute out of our lives, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I've seen some silly complaints about what the devs do or don't do.

But this one takes the cake.

End thread\
Old 04-29-2009, 12:21 AM   #54
Zero Finger Movement

CRIP4LIFE's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
obviously didn't read the post JUST prior to yours...

but since you know sooooooooo much, how long would the game take to load without the 5gb install? do you know?

Quote:
so long to load?
you do realize this statement is relative, yes?

i repeat another poster:

we know you're unhappy with 40 some-odd-extra seconds of load time... you've made your point. now, list the programming techniques they could employ to "fix" this "issue" or please go away.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:28 AM   #55

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

I actually find it entertaining that with all the other issues that many other are worried about right now, this guy is still hung up on the load time.

Its like comic relief.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 1

You're right. I should only have complaints if the majority are complaining about the same thing. I should never have had my own opinion about a gripe I have. My bad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »