Home

Three Part Question About Your Franchise?

This is a discussion on Three Part Question About Your Franchise? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Three Part Question About Your Franchise?

1) What is the most games that you've won/lost in a row?

2) When your struggling in your franchise at what point do you throw in the towel? (and by that I mean, sim to the next season not, starting over)

The reason I ask is because I'm sucking up the field in my current Houston franchise. I started out the season winning 1 game vs. the Giants then sweeping the Philly's but, since that series I haven't been able to string together two wins in a row. Plus, I was swept by St. Louis, Cincinnati and Arizona.

I'm currently in the middle of May and my record in 8-22. I'm the worst team in the league by 2 games.
I'm struggling in every facet of the game and I think it's unrealistic at this point to try and pull off a trade or sign a decent FA. I may consider a fire-sale if this goes on for another month or two but, I haven't gave up hope just yet.

I think that I bit off more than I could chew by moving up to All-Star on both hitting and pitching. I tried moving hitting back to veteran (for hitting only) after a 5 game losing streak to end the month of April (yeah, I know that's taking the ***** way out). Well, I was able to win 1 game against Atlanta when I made the change but, then I preceded to lose the next 7 games in a row and that's where I am now in my season.

Lastly, I just wanted to make it clear that I don't mind losing and I'm not complaining about that. This threads purpose is to discuss at what point you would pack it in for the season mainly because I don't want to spend 3-4 months playing this game only to finish last in the NL Central. As of now, my plan is to try to turn things around. Hopefully, we can reel off 10-15 wins in a row and get back in the thick of things. But if not, I'm thinking August may be a good point. Well if I'm 15+ games back, then I'll strongly consider moving on to the next season.

3) Have any of you ever experienced this or have you ever traded away your star's for prospects? Just asking out of curiosity.

Discuss.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 60
Re: Three Part Question About Your Franchise?

What level are you playing on that you are 8-22?
Old 04-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #3
Crunchy

Mabster's Arena

OVR: 7

If you hadn't seen it already I wanted to point you to this thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-glitches.html

It's kinda the same question that you have.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
MVP

redsrulenc's Arena

OVR: 8

In my Cincinnati Reds Chise' I started off 0-5, and now my current record is 6-6. Just stick with it, or do a "firesale" like you said. I've never quit a franchise before and I knew this year wouldn't be any different. Starting off terrible is no fun though, and that's the truth. I just stuck with it and the team pulled themselves together I guess.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
What level are you playing on that you are 8-22?
All-Star hitting and pitching with Psychobulk's slider's . I moved hitting back down to Vet after a 5 game losing streak. Then, I won one game ten lost the next 7.

The funny thing is I had a "practice franchise" with Houston before Knight's roster's came out and I made it to about the same point in the season except my record was around 17-11 (or something similar, I can't quite remember). In that season I started out on vet/vet. Then I moved pitching up to All-Star because my ERA was 2nd in the league. When I made the move I still won games and pitched well, unlike my current season...

Like I said I'm not a quitter, I'm going to chalk this up to a team slump and hopefully we can get thing's turned around. At this point I think that my poor play is due to my pressing a little to hard so, maybe I should relax or drink a beer or before the game

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Rookie

krmarks's Arena

OVR: 5

I took over a Pirates franchise and planned to rebuild from the get go, so I can't help a lot on this question. But, what I did was keep the team together and play a lot till June, then firesale for prospects on everyone who could breathe and had major league experience. I loaded up with top 50 prospects and simmed a week, played 1 game or 2, then simmed a week till the end of the season. Now I play 3 games each week and my record went from 53 - 109 to after 1 month so far 15-10. And to top that off, I am loaded with young talent, but still have enough holes in my team to make me want to keep going.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabster
If you hadn't seen it already I wanted to point you to this thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-glitches.html

It's kinda the same question that you have.
Yeah, it is a similar thread but, the difference is the OP was talking about restarting. My question's are about moving forward and what you would do in this situation.

I mean, I have some All-Star type player's who have plenty of value. Berkman, Lee and Oswalt are all in their mid-thirty's and still rated highly. Oswalt is having a awesome season but, is getting no run support. He's 2-2 and lost his last two games. One he lost 1-0 and the other he lost 2-0 and the second game a relief pitcher allowed the second run. Lee started off slowly but, has since turned things around a bit and actually having a decent statistical season now. Berkman is having a horrible season after coming off his stint on the DL. I've actually moved him down to 6th in the order. Also, he's in the last year of his contract so, I think I will have to trade him at some point. I just don't know if it's going to be sooner or later...

Also, one of my question's was when would you start looking to shed payroll and grab prospects. I didn't see anything like that in the other thread.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 04-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 14

Fortunately for me, the A's are standing tall a game up in the division with a record of 26-20, but with my pre knight roster practice franchise, I was 10-30 and looking to fire sale as well. What I like about having Knight's rosters is that I have tons of prospects to look forward to if the season takes a turn for the worst (and firing Geren!). In fact, I was kind of hoping for that to happen, but now that I am winning I have to stick with it. I probably could get a lot for Sheets and maybe a bit for Duchscherer as well, but now I want to muscle through and try to have a winning season. A little off track, but if I were you and still losing badly by June, I would call up some of your prospects, although I am not really all that familiar with the Astros system. Perhaps you could find some players you really like and hit well with or pitch well with and can off load Berkman and others.

Oh and to answer number 1, 5 games is my longest winning streak so far with a 7 game losing streak before that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »