Home

Changing Player Positions

This is a discussion on Changing Player Positions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 60
Re: Changing Player Positions

If you don't know, be careful when changing secondary positions. It might list a secondary position as 3b for a guy who plays 2b, but when you look at this card this player might also be subbed in at SS/LF/CF, etc, and once you change the secondary position you lose those options and are stuck with the secondary position that you choose.

So, check the cards first.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsleadtheway
That's a great idea. I think I will follow your lead, next year though as I do not plan on drafting any pitchers this year. How do you handle what positions your pitchers will play, i.e. which do you put as your starters, long relievers, middle relievers, setup me, and closers? So if you draft a pitcher, where will you put him at first? And then how do you decide where he goes from there?
After the first year, you will have at least 5 guys who were effective at starting games (mostly due to acceptable stamina ratings), those guys become SP. Everyone else becomes a RP and I just move them up or down to SU or CP based on performance. My default is to put the highest rated guys at CP and SU to start. If i notice over a couple months some guys are getting shelled and someone in the MRP spot is pitching great, I'll swap accordingly. I only carry 3 CP on my roster, and those are the highest potential, highest rating RP. For example, if I promote my AA CP to AAA, he starts over as a RP. (An additional benefit is if you are renogotiating, RP make less than CP ) If a guy gets moved out of CP for an extended period of time, guess what he is a RP again.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperz
I usually change all drafted pitchers to RP to start their career, unless their stamina is already like 95 or something. Then through performance before the MilB All Star games, i'll change the guy who is actually closing the games to CP so he gets All Star consideration. After their 1st year I usually have an idea if they will make a better starter or releiver and edit their position accordingly.

As for position players, I look at several things: for "real" players, I look up what positions they may have played in the minors as well as the Majors. For drafted playeys I usually look at their skills and attributes and assign them a primary or secondary position accordingly. It makes no sense to have roster logjams by making a speed/ reaction guy play 1B or a slow guy into a CF.

Yep, right on the money
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperz
After the first year, you will have at least 5 guys who were effective at starting games (mostly due to acceptable stamina ratings), those guys become SP. Everyone else becomes a RP and I just move them up or down to SU or CP based on performance. My default is to put the highest rated guys at CP and SU to start. If i notice over a couple months some guys are getting shelled and someone in the MRP spot is pitching great, I'll swap accordingly. I only carry 3 CP on my roster, and those are the highest potential, highest rating RP. For example, if I promote my AA CP to AAA, he starts over as a RP. (An additional benefit is if you are renogotiating, RP make less than CP ) If a guy gets moved out of CP for an extended period of time, guess what he is a RP again.
I don't quite understand the first part of this. You do this with all of your minor league pitchers as well as new draftees? As for the rest, those are some great ideas. My AA CP is getting shelled, so I may swap him out with someone else. Also, my AAA CP is a solid lefty that I might bring up to the big league level (which the real A's have already done), which means I will obviously need to change him to RP, thus leaving an open position in the AAA system for someone to earn the closer role there.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsleadtheway
In that case, how do you go about changing your pitchers? Do you adjust their stamina? I know it shouldn't matter for swapping between RP and CP, but what about for SP? What kind of formula would you use for that?

I really wish that there was no such thing as SP, RP and CP on this game, and that where you put them would determine what they are. Most pitchers drafted are SP in either high school or college, but only playing in the minors will one be able to assess whether they are a reliever or starter. I would love to be able to draft a low stamina pitcher and try to bring him up to a starter, or the reverse in drafting what I hoped would be a starter, but never develops in anothing more than a middle reliever.
The draft obviously needs a ton of work. I think your idea of eliminating specific positions (SP vs. RP vs. CP) is a great one, and it could be extended to position players, as well (middle infielders, corner infielders, outfielders, or other more vague descriptions). Our scouts could give us information on their best positions (based on the quality of our scouts). After drafting them, we assign primary/secondary positions based on whatever we feel is important (depth at a position, size/athleticism, a specific attribute, etc). Then over time our scouts could give us feedback on their development at a given position (maybe making suggestions for position changes).
Old 04-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
If you don't know, be careful when changing secondary positions. It might list a secondary position as 3b for a guy who plays 2b, but when you look at this card this player might also be subbed in at SS/LF/CF, etc, and once you change the secondary position you lose those options and are stuck with the secondary position that you choose.

So, check the cards first.
This is true...

Nick Johnson is a perfect example of that, in the edit screen he has no 2nd position, but if you look at his card by default he is a LF/RF as 2nd position. If you choose OF it is unrealistic as he doesnt play CF, and you cant set it back to just LF/RF
Old 04-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
Rookie

coachchris's Arena

OVR: 6

I noticed if you edit players primary position mid-season they will not progress after the season. I use auto training in my Padres 'chise and moved Blanks to 1b as primary and Gregerson to CP from RP after trading Gonzales and Bell and neither of them progressed even with A potential. It was no big deal to me because it was going to be a few years before I could compete and they both progressed nicely the next year. Just thought I would share if you are worried about progression the best time to change positions is spring training, after the progression from previous year is set and before training for next year begins.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachchris
I noticed if you edit players primary position mid-season they will not progress after the season. I use auto training in my Padres 'chise and moved Blanks to 1b as primary and Gregerson to CP from RP after trading Gonzales and Bell and neither of them progressed even with A potential. It was no big deal to me because it was going to be a few years before I could compete and they both progressed nicely the next year. Just thought I would share if you are worried about progression the best time to change positions is spring training, after the progression from previous year is set and before training for next year begins.
This is good to know. I remember last year, if you even edited batting stances past a certain point (I believe it was the draft), that player would not progress. I made a trade for a player near the break, then altered the stance and he did not progress at all, nor did any player whose stance i edited at the same time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »