Home

Rain Delays/Postponements in MLB 11?

This is a discussion on Rain Delays/Postponements in MLB 11? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #25
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Rain Delays/Postponements in MLB 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean3790
Eh, wouldn't be the first time developers skipped out on something they could easily add. No one's perfect.
What you may think is "easy", is more often than not.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 6

This is also true. I don't know a thing about coding so I guess I'm in no place to say what is easy and not.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:06 AM   #27
MVP

CubFan23's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
because everything is a building process. You have to be able to walk before you can run. My guess is they really wanted to get in real time progressive lighting and then add rain. They were able to do that during this cycle.

To add in rain delays and postponements not only effects the game you are playing, but it also effects franchise/season modes. So, they have to account for setting the AI to realize how to re-schedule the game, set up doubleheaders, use their rotation accordingly, or add a game to the schedule, etc...

Its not as simple as writing a code that says "rain delays and postponements" and poof its there and works as baseball fans would expect.
I love the fact that SCEA won't add something that's half a$$ed, I don't think people realize how much stuff they add or try and improve with each year. Quality not quantity!

“I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture".
- Bob Uecker
Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 8

Just to add a point to this..as game system develop and become larger and more complex..so does the programming and what you can add. It would probably be easier to program something with as many limitations as a commadore 64 or even a first gen playstation..but now that we have ps3 and all the "little things" it makes everything that much harder..I think people think about this backwards..because it was in a much more simple game it should be in a new one..pretty sure thats not the case but the opposite.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #29
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

I've always been hoping for rain delays/postponements since it seems to happen every other day to the Marlins in the summer, not like it'll matter after this year tho lol. Nice to see them make progress tho with rain.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #30
Banned

I agree it's a good start. I completely understand the impact having postponed games ( someone elaborated the logic pretty well ) and I prefer by far they wait next year and do it right.. My only disappointment is some cities like Toronto and Milwaukee will have rain effect where in fact they will never see such thing because they just close the roof when weather seems to be uncertain.

I was not expecting roof open/close animation during a game, just maybe play some games with roof closed sometimes. But they may encountered issues we didn't think of, or time/resources constraints.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 12

I understand the desire for some of you to want this, but I do think it is something that is much more difficult to program in than any of you give credit for. Even some of the most advanced text based sims have issues getting this in properly.

Just seems like a high risk, low reward addition to the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #32
Rookie

I am very excited about the rain being in, and should lead to the obvious and requested Rain Delays and Cancelled games. Double headers would be a treat in Franchise mode. The would have to build into the logic that you don't get 20 delays and cancelled games. I am sure lots of research would go into much like the research that went into cloud coverage and patterns.

Now, liek most have said we are not into builind games and coding, but how is it that a game like World Series Baseball '98 had rain delays can get this in and The Show cannot...yet?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »