Home

OS Roundtable: What Do You Think of The Show's Move to Analog Controls?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: What Do You Think of The Show's Move to Analog Controls? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
OS Roundtable: What Do You Think of The Show's Move to Analog Controls?

In this weeks' OS Roundtable, some members of the staff discuss what they think of The Show's move to analog controls.

What are your thoughts?

Quote:
"Dustin Toms: Personally I'm not too fond of the move. I think it is a step in the right direction for SCEA, but I have never been a big fan of analog sticks controlling most of the actions in sports games. I will admit that I love the shot stick in NBA 2K11, but other than that I like to keep it old school with the buttons. Last year's game was a great game, but it was still a disappointment to me. I was expecting something great, something fantastic, but instead I got a lot of the same. Hopefully the new analog controls it will kick out the staleness that The Show had last year and give it some new life.

Steve Noah: I think it is a welcome addition, and one that is long overdue. It gives us another option, and I mention "option" only because if it is something I don't like, I'll just use the old control system. I know it will take some time to get used to, but I think it's great that the team is giving us something different. A check swing will be a lot easier to execute using the sticks, as opposed to a button press. (I've always had a check-swing issue with The Show series. Maybe it's my strong thumb.)"

Read More - OS Roundtable: What Do You Think of The Show's Move to Analog Controls?
Platform: PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: OS Roundtable: What Do You Think of The Show's Move to Analog Controls?

While its not something that I would personally use, I think its a great addition. When it comes to real estate we always hear, "location!, location!, location!", well for video games it would be, "options!, options!, options!". No two gamers are alike and the more options the game provides, the more gamers it can adhere to.

Besides that, fans of the series themselves have been asking for these controls and its only natural for SCEA to implement them. Given they are allowing us old school, hate change gamers to play with the old button control scheme, I don't see how this can be viewed as anything but a good idea.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 12-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

It's another option. You don't like it, use the old option. No reason to not like this move because you aren't locked into using it.

Personally, I'll be using analog for everything when I first get the game. Looking forward to it.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Rookie

DiamondbacksLive's Arena

OVR: 6

I think it's a new feature that will bring more challenge to the game. In previous games, I think just hitting X is too easy. I just think of the timing of my swing. Now with the analog control, you have to time your stride and the release of the ball. I think it will be a great addition because it will bring more involvement.

MLB 11: The Show
NBA 2K11
Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 47
Nice write up guys. I am not so hype for this choice. I will most likely use the other way. I don't like change.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
While its not something that I would personally use, I think its a great addition. When it comes to real estate we always hear, "location!, location!, location!", well for video games it would be, "options!, options!, options!". No two gamers are alike and the more options the game provides, the more gamers it can adhere to.

Besides that, fans of the series themselves have been asking for these controls and its only natural for SCEA to implement them. Given they are allowing us old school, hate change gamers to play with the old button control scheme, I don't see how this can be viewed as anything but a good idea.
Agree 100%. I'm a little wary of it, but I don't have to use it, so no big deal. I doubt it takes away from anything else in the game.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
I don't see myself embracing analog controls. I will use them in the demo, but I'm pretty sure that once I get the full version. I will be going back to the buttons. But I applaud the dev team for making this an option.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
I like it. I think it gives the user more control. Whether that's an illusion or not. I feel like I have more control on the outcome of the play, whether it be fielding, or pitching. I'm not that sure about the hitting though. I kinda like the buttons for that.

All in all its a good move by SCEA. More options are never a bad thing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »