Home

Lets talk player ratings!

This is a discussion on Lets talk player ratings! within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Lets talk player ratings!

Why is it that year after year I have to spend all my time editing player ratings.
How does SCEA determine plate vision etc..?
Why do some guys who hit 250 have better plate vision or contact than 300 hitters?
Why do some hitters who hit 14hrs have better power than those who hit 25 plus homeruns?
I've read about how SCEA takes a 3 year average or something like that, but I just don't get some of their ratings?
How do they determine fielding ratings as well?
Does anyone have some real answers?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
Rookie

Ike Slider2's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Lets talk player ratings!

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...s-batting.html
Here is a thread I made about how to get the right stats for continous performance
Old 03-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3

I always wondered what the ratings are based on because if you compare some players then some ratings just don't make much sense. I always edit the ratings myself and it's pretty much based on "Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster". It's a good book to use for ratings (and for fantasy baseball, of course ) because of the stats they use and stuff like PX and SX so it's not too much work for me. My ratings are usually based on the last 2 seasons and the results were pretty good in the past.

Of course some things are weird sometimes if you edit stuff yourself because u can't edit managers and their decisions, playing time/platoons, how often players have green light and stuff so the right ratings sometimes have a wrong outcome what makes things really hard. Just an example: Stephen Drew is at least as fast as Carl Crawford (that's a fact btw) but he doesn't even steal more bases than Albert Pujols. How u wanna edit that? It's impossible. So u have to edit Drew that he is a) way to slow in the game or b) he steals way to many bags. So NOW it's pretty much impossible to edit the players the way that it results in let's say 90% plausible stats. You just can rate the players' skills perfectly but you can't influence how the game's using each player. I'd say NBA 2K11 is the only game were u can edit stuff the way that it is really close to real life.
NFL: New York Giants
Old 03-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Rookie

drustrk3's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigadkc
I always wondered what the ratings are based on because if you compare some players then some ratings just don't make much sense. I always edit the ratings myself and it's pretty much based on "Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster". It's a good book to use for ratings (and for fantasy baseball, of course ) because of the stats they use and stuff like PX and SX so it's not too much work for me. My ratings are usually based on the last 2 seasons and the results were pretty good in the past.

Of course some things are weird sometimes if you edit stuff yourself because u can't edit managers and their decisions, playing time/platoons, how often players have green light and stuff so the right ratings sometimes have a wrong outcome what makes things really hard. Just an example: Stephen Drew is at least as fast as Carl Crawford (that's a fact btw) but he doesn't even steal more bases than Albert Pujols. How u wanna edit that? It's impossible. So u have to edit Drew that he is a) way to slow in the game or b) he steals way to many bags. So NOW it's pretty much impossible to edit the players the way that it results in let's say 90% plausible stats. You just can rate the players' skills perfectly but you can't influence how the game's using each player. I'd say NBA 2K11 is the only game were u can edit stuff the way that it is really close to real life.

I use this as well...i never have enough time to edit every player, but I get ones that seem obviously ranked poorly to me. I use the overall rating bars, on the main roster screens to see who I think is over/underrated.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigadkc
Stephen Drew is at least as fast as Carl Crawford (that's a fact btw)
i would like to see that fact some where, because there's no way thats true, if so Arizona would have Drew steal more bags, simple fact
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubeavs721
i would like to see that fact some where, because there's no way thats true, if so Arizona would have Drew steal more bags, simple fact
Maybe he has no green light for a reason we don't know? Speed doesn't mean you have to steal many bases, perhaps Drew can't read pitchers that well. I'm not saying you have to believe it. Buy the book and you'll see it yourself, Drew's SX was higher than Crawford's in each of the last 5 years.
NFL: New York Giants
Old 03-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm loving this rating system, but vision and discipline are backwards according to this link.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ipline-do.html

I played a few games and switched vision and discipline ratings and got great results!
I play on vet hitting and all-star pitching with button controls, meter pitching and (Timing Hitting).
Old 03-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
Banned

dingleberryfinn's Arena

OVR: 7

i just wish scea would switch to a number based rating system

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »