Home

AI pitch calling

This is a discussion on AI pitch calling within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
AI pitch calling

Does anyone know if the game calls a pitch based on what "number" it is, or rather what the pitch itself is?

Sometimes the catcher's calls seem right on, and other times it seems like he's putting down a "2" because the CPU recognizes that as my second best pitch, not because it's a curveball. Does that make sense?

It also doesn't seem like the CPU realizes when I've called a different pitch than it called last time. Calling for 2 curveballs in the same spot consecutively, etc.

I've never actually labbed this, I'm just wondering if other people notice it's a little "weird."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: AI pitch calling

I'm reasonably sure the API is aware of what kind of pitch (and not just which gets listed higher) that it is calling for. Something like how it would call for high fastball but not high splitter, etc.

I think repeating just happens sometimes. Especially if you missed a spot with a previous pitch, it's not unreasonable to call for the same pitch, hoping it's well located that time.

Yes sometimes I don't understand its logic, like how it sometimes calls for a high two-seamer. But even people think differently, so...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »