Home

MLB 12 The Show Screenshots - Your New Default Camera View and Other Tidbits

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show Screenshots - Your New Default Camera View and Other Tidbits within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #401
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: MLB 12 The Show Screenshots - Your New Default Camera View and Other Tidbits

I'm curious to read as well. I think it was Blzer who a while ago wrote a nice post about swing mechanics on what essentially is the same topic. If the inside-out swing leading to opposite HRs issue isn't address in MLB12, the issue will probably be brought up several times in coming months, haha.

EDIT: Found Blzer's post.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2042388850

Last edited by nomo17k; 01-09-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #402
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 12 The Show Screenshots - Your New Default Camera View and Other Tidbits

I'm no hitting coach, nor do I claim to know everything about swing mechanics so my post will be based on my own personal experiences.

(for argument's sake - let's say fastball, though I'm not sure if pitch type really matters and let's say inside = the inner 3rd of the strike zone to the inner black)

When swinging late on an inside pitch, you're not able to get the barrel of the bat on the ball and will most likely hit the ball off the handle. A ball off the handle will usually lead to a weak hit to the opposite side.

As far as hitting a ball on the outer third of the zone and pulling it for a homerun... In my experiences, these have usually been weak hits to the pull side because you're out in front of a pitch that you're trying to pull. Your front shoulder will probably fly open too early and you'll hit that ball off the end of the bat. Though, I'm not saying that it's impossible to pull a HR, or hit a rocket on these pitches... I guess it all depends on how early you are on this outside pitch.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #403
Banned

OVR: 0

I'm gonna say most opposite field HRs in real life are low in the zone.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #404
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Not so scientific, but just by quickly searching the MLB videos with "opposite-field home run", at least the ones found in the first page or two, I'd say a vast majority of opposite HRs are middle/outside pitches.

I couldn't find another good video for this purpose, but this one is a collection of opposite-field HRs in the Japanese league (hey it's still baseball... can't be that different....) Quality is bad as most cuts are from 90s...

Some data points there.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #405
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarningTrackPower
As far as hitting a ball on the outer third of the zone and pulling it for a homerun... In my experiences, these have usually been weak hits to the pull side because you're out in front of a pitch that you're trying to pull. Your front shoulder will probably fly open too early and you'll hit that ball off the end of the bat. Though, I'm not saying that it's impossible to pull a HR, or hit a rocket on these pitches... I guess it all depends on how early you are on this outside pitch.
I think this is commonly believed... A left-handed power hitter who tends to pull outside pitches often ends up hitting grounders to 2B, and that's one of the reasons why you want to use the extreme fielding shift against him, bringing SS over to 2B, 3B to SS, etc. I he tries to go opposite way (despite the lack of skill to do so), you are successful in depriving him of power that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #406
Resident Scout

ksig24's Arena

OVR: 20

This is a great reason why "bat speed" should be an attribute.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #407
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Hey, I'd love to show some support data, but it might have to wait until tomorrow. Why? I'm thinking of doing a wacky Blzer video to talk about it in greater length.

Even if not, I will be able to more clearly process what I'm talking about. I'm currently going over like nine recorded Jeopardy episodes with my mom, and she is just kicking my butt. My focus has to be on the tube.

EDIT: It looks like nomo actually found a post of mine which I don't even remember typing but there are other factors which I wanted to talk about that might also help explain things in more detail. It looks like that video is a clear indicator of where the pitches were when those guys hit their home runs, but you cannot ever prove by example. Nevertheless, they still are good examples.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 01-09-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #408
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksig24
This is a great reason why "bat speed" should be an attribute.
All things equal, bat speed should translate to how fast and far the batter is able to drive a ball, so the Power attribute is supposed to be enough I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Hey, I'd love to show some support data, but it might have to wait until tomorrow. Why? I'm thinking of doing a wacky Blzer video to talk about it in greater length.
Maybe you should continue on with another (existing) thread... it's a topic (batted ball directions) that keeps popping up. You might not want to go length in a thread where it's not really on topic...? Or it is going to be about how the Show screenshots affect hitters' ability to go opposite way? jk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »