Home

MLB 12 The Show Gameplay Video - Angels vs. Rangers

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show Gameplay Video - Angels vs. Rangers within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #25
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballT
I played college ball as a shortstop, and now coach, and the general rule is that yes if the ball is in the air, runners go halfway initially. If your on second, you actually retreat closer to the bag as the outfielder gets closer to the ball. That way if Murphy catches that ball, you are able to quickly tag up and get to third on a ball that normally you would not be able to tag on (ball to left field). I can't see the runner to say that is what happened in the game, and he probably still should have scored, but this is what is supposed to happen in real life. On a separate but related note, my concern is the outfielder's arm strength. I mean, I know Cruz has an absolute cannon, but that throw he makes is impressive by even his standards. It's more prevalent in the Cubs vs Cards vid, where Soriano throws frozen ropes that he is generally incapable of ever throwing. Just my opinion on both areas, though.
That makes sense.

You can see the runner from the base runner window. He stays at second to tag up the whole way through.

I'll retract and say he could have scored. Never know. But there is no reason for him to immediately tag up on 2nd once the ball is hit in the air.

Having said that, if this is my biggest complaint in what amounts to about an hour of footage yesterday then this game is amazing.

Sent from my mobile device.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #26
Rookie

BaseballT's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 12 The Show Gameplay Video - Angels vs. Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
That makes sense.

You can see the runner from the base runner window. He stays at second to tag up the whole way through.

I'll retract and say he could have scored. Never know. But there is no reason for him to immediately tag up on 2nd once the ball is hit in the air.

Having said that, if this is my biggest complaint in what amounts to about an hour of footage yesterday then this game is amazing.

Sent from my mobile device.
Yea that's what I was thinking too. It looks fantastic and my biggest issue now is I alhave to wait to play it!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #27
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

Colby Lewis getting pounded early on...realism at its finest
Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #28
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballT
I played college ball as a shortstop, and now coach, and the general rule is that yes if the ball is in the air, runners go halfway initially. If your on second, you actually retreat closer to the bag as the outfielder gets closer to the ball. That way if Murphy catches that ball, you are able to quickly tag up and get to third on a ball that normally you would not be able to tag on (ball to left field). I can't see the runner to say that is what happened in the game, and he probably still should have scored, but this is what is supposed to happen in real life.
You can look at the baserunner box on the right, and they did exactly what you explained. That's pretty much my understanding too... maybe could have scored, but that may be a result (or non-result) of what you mentioned here:

Quote:
On a separate but related note, my concern is the outfielder's arm strength. I mean, I know Cruz has an absolute cannon, but that throw he makes is impressive by even his standards. It's more prevalent in the Cubs vs Cards vid, where Soriano throws frozen ropes that he is generally incapable of ever throwing. Just my opinion on both areas, though.
Yeah, this was one thing that caught my eye too. Cruz has a cannon, but those were 2 lasers that he threw! If it isn't adjusted in the final version, I can definitely see turning that slider down some.

YouTube

Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #29
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
From an AI perspective, what exactly does baserunning ability influence?
It will influence how "smart" a baserunner is on the basepaths.
99 does not make him infallible though....nor does 0 make him constantly make mistakes...

M.K.
Knight165
Old 02-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #30
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
You can look at the baserunner box on the right, and they did exactly what you explained. That's pretty much my understanding too... maybe could have scored, but that may be a result (or non-result) of what you mentioned here:
edit: Just checked again to confirm I'm not going nuts. The runner on 2nd did not go halfway. He tagged up immediately.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

Last edited by CMH; 02-22-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #31
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
Yeah, this was one thing that caught my eye too. Cruz has a cannon, but those were 2 lasers that he threw! If it isn't adjusted in the final version, I can definitely see turning that slider down some.
I'll never forget, two years ago I was playing a buddy and Cruz threw a one hopper from the right field wall to deny me a run. Cruz released the ball, it went up and out of the camera's sight, and appeared to drop from outer space. Couldn't believe it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #32
Rookie

earp4530's Arena

OVR: 5
Idk if you guys know this or not.. but Cruz has a cannon for an arm in real life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »