Home

MLB 12 The Show - PS3 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show - PS3 Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #89
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 12 The Show - PS3 Impressions Thread

The pulse pitching if your not a great pitcher on road it really shows. I brought my buccos into Citi Field.

Correia was flat out awful walked 5 guys gave up a grand slam to luda and lasted 2 innings. Thole also took me yard i was down 8-0. I did comeback cutch hammered a santana circle change up and out and then we got a couple base hits in the 8th to draw close but i did hit some balls deep to the track but all caught. Lost that one 8-4.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #90
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

My Franchise Impressions:

I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time with the game to give an accurate impression so here goes:

The big one....The "2013 FA glitch"......May it R.I.P. forever, is finally gone! I have even tried breaking the system to bust budgets and can't. The new logic they put in while we were at CD really has helped tremedously now with franchise mode. Prospects are no longer swapped like candy by just being released in the offseason. Now, they are renewed at VERY low contracts(like real life) until they get MLB service time and start hitting arbitration)

My only thing, and it is small is they may have too much room in the begining few years. BUT there is a workaround, I have been giving those Highpriced players more realistic contracts, players like Soriano, Bay, Dunn, AROD etc....Looking good so far.

Players really seem to regress this year. In the past A potential players would hit like their prime right until retirement. Not this way this year. Now players will start to slip and may be reduced to a bench role towards end of their career. Great addition.

I have seen created players as league leaders in homeruns and average in the future. My only complaint there is too many A and B potential players are rated very low in the draft and by the time they progress and have an impact at the MLB level they are between 28-31. Too many times I see Rookie of the Year as a 29 year old. The good news is there are the rare players that come at 22 or 23 and contribute, so its not a hard fast rule. I don't even mind some B and A potential players falling late in the draft (hidden gem) just less.

The trade logic has been discussed and it's not as bad as some make it out to be. Yes the CPU values a position in need a little too much. RP seem to valued to heavily. I don't mind seeing your A prospect traded for a RP, but it better be for a Rafael Soriano type and be the best one in your bullpen, not the 3rd or 4th option. Some tweaks here and I think its good.

Lineup logic has been discusses. It's not bad, but too many guys with "pop" are placed in the leadoff. There is too much reliance on contact there.

Retirements look good players are retiring between 36-42 or so. Very realistic. I have seen a couple players retire with a year or two on their deal, but few and far between. I would like to have a player in contract finish it out, so hopefully something that can be addressed if there is a patch. Right now I am in a sim in 2019 and Albert P. is still playing. Again not a deal breaker by any means the players that do retire are doing so at 36 and up.

Stats are looking good.

I really like the franchise mode this year. HUGE improvement. A few tweaks maybe, but again subjective, and I think it's perfect. No game breakers here. NO BIG Bugs. It's been cleaned up alot. Overall on a scale of 1-10 I give it a 9. Few tweaks and it's an easy 10.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #91
MVP

COMMISSIONERHBK9's Arena

OVR: 19
I'm really enjoying this game my only negative is in exhibition mode they took out the option to save the game and continue it later. I hope they at least kept it in franchise mode I didn't get to check in that mode.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?r0xywl

https://www.youtube.com/@B1g___Boned
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #92
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26

The new batting cam is sweet. For the first time in the series, I was able to draw 5 walks in a game. I even drew 2 walks in a row to load the bases in one inning

Here is a screenshot:

Please ignore my strikeout totals. Not proud of that
New Youtube Gaming Channel -- SpicyChicharron
Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #93
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

Some more random thoughts:

- I think they should have made it an option, don't get me wrong, but I love how they've included the last pitch stuff on screen. I pretty much wore out clicking in the stick to check the last pitch in years past so to have it right on screen instantly (for the cpu hitters as well!) is great. And it looks slick. Again, should've been an option for the guys that don't want the "clutter" on screen. Unless it is an option to turn all that off, then disregard what I said. I vaguely remember some guys getting upset when the first screenshots were coming out and it was stated that through test groups, people preferred as much info on screen as possible and that it wasn't going to be an option to turn off. Granted, I never tried to lol.

- like in years past, issuing enough walks hasn't been an issue so to speak, because I use API and follow the location religiously and almost always the pitch type. Sometimes, if it calls for a fastball down and away, ill throw something off-speed in that location. But I never deviate from the location and since the catcher almost always calls for borderline pitches (or flat out asks for a pitch out of the zone) pitch count, walks and cpu batter aggresiveness to some degree, is not an issue. I would suggest this for some of you who ARE having those issues.

- its the first time I've created a SP in RTTS so excuse me if its been an issue before but when the batter hits the ball and it cuts to the RTTS view for fielding is very jarring. Maybe something to look into for SCEA for next year, that would make the transition a little smoother.

- one type of foul ball that is still missing from the game that I thought the new ball physics would take care of is the one where the batter is right on the pitch but JUST misses it and the pitch goes straight back into the screen. I've seen it once or twice in the 6 exhibition games I've played and the 5 RTTS games I've pitched in but would like to see this happen more frequently. Maybe even an animation with a slightly frustrated batter cuz he knows he just missed the pitch.

- I kind of wish that ZAB was available last year right out of the gate. I remember for the first little while when using Pure Analog batting in 11, I instinctively used the left stick to aim my bat but over time, stopped doing so. I want to use ZAB as I never became any good at rolling the right stick to the direction of the pitch but admittedly, this will take a while and its still not close to being natural. But I'm a trooper.

All in all, the game has been nothing but pure bliss for me from the start. Very encouraged by the findings of other posters as it relates to Franchise, because it seems like we'll just be able to play the game and not worry about too much going haywaire. Anyway, hoping to get some more time with the game and picking up on some subtle and not-so-subtle changes. The beautiful part is several times a game, something will happen that makes me notice it and it usually has to do with the ball physics and the changes in fielding. This is a good thing and will keep games more dynamic moving forward.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #94
Stop! Homer Time!

theaub's Arena

OVR: 35

Started a RTTS and got promoted to AAA after a month of 3-1, 1.42 ball. Its nice to avoid the tedium of being a LRP/bench player this year. Hopefully I can get the call to the bigs by the end of 2012.

Although I am in the bullpen in AAA. Time to get into the rotation haha.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #95
Pro

zukes's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
- one type of foul ball that is still missing from the game that I thought the new ball physics would take care of is the one where the batter is right on the pitch but JUST misses it and the pitch goes straight back into the screen. I've seen it once or twice in the 6 exhibition games I've played and the 5 RTTS games I've pitched in but would like to see this happen more frequently. Maybe even an animation with a slightly frustrated batter cuz he knows he just missed the pitch.
That's weird, I was just coming on here to say that I have seen a lot more of that. I have 2 or 3 a game it seems.

A couple other things:

- Not sure if this was in last year, but I was tealing a base, felt like I had a good jump, was an off speed pitch, cather threw it high so that the SS had to jump, runner slid to the bag oif the bag, but was still out. I was running with Yunel Escobar, so not the fastest guy in the world, but come on!!!! Then they cut to the replay, he did get a good jump, but then stumbled and almost fell for three steps...I was blown away, it made sense now.

- Pitcher confidence is still a bitch! Down 5-3 in the 8th, I bring on Jason Frasor and he gives up a walk, a guy reaches on an error and his confidence is shot, 5 straight hits, he gets a lucky K, 2 more hits, I yank him bring in Casey Janssen who proceeds to walk his first batter, confiedence shot, Indians score 8 runs, I lose 13-3. This happens a little too often for my liking, though it may be that I lose confidence as well and get frustratedm especially since I was on beer #6 or so. LOL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #96
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

If you turn off pitch callout I believe it wont show last pitch thrown. Think so anyways.
As far as the foul balls i've seen the straight back a few times BUT i dont think its an issue of having that type in the game. From the way i understand it, the physics engine now does it and if it happens(right pitch location and contact) it will happen.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »