Home

MLB 12 The Show - Vita Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show - Vita Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #73
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: MLB 12 The Show - Vita Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
I'll try it and report back.

Could someone load up a game and try to check using Timing for me in the meantime? I'm losing my mind!!! Well sort of. I'll be back. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong, but what it is I am unsure.
I went into practice and had no problems checking my swing on timing either.

Try this: Go into practice mode and try playing the Timing or Contact games. Everything you'll see will be a strike, so try to practice checking against those (even if you won't actually do that in a real game).

Reason being, when you time a swing on an offspeed, out of the zone pitch badly you'll often get those lunging, off-balance swings (it tells you as much in the analyzer). Those are almost impossible to check, even for good hitters. When your timing is good you should find it a lot easier to check.

Also, I'm sure you know this, but it's easier to check a normal or contact swing than a power swing. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #74
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I went into practice and had no problems checking my swing on timing either.

Try this: Go into practice mode and try playing the Timing or Contact games. Everything you'll see will be a strike, so try to practice checking against those (even if you won't actually do that in a real game).

Reason being, when you time a swing on an offspeed, out of the zone pitch badly you'll often get those lunging, off-balance swings (it tells you as much in the analyzer). Those are almost impossible to check, even for good hitters. When your timing is good you should find it a lot easier to check.

Also, I'm sure you know this, but it's easier to check a normal or contact swing than a power swing. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. Practice, here I come!

I was checking like a machine - one specifically programmed to be a check swing master - last night on the PS3 version. So I know I can do it (forgive my little pep talk to myself)!

You're probably right. I'm sure it's just me trying to adjust to the new console.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #75
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Heads up for the guys who skip a lot of games - the Vita's sim speed is considerably slower than the PS3. I was just skipping to a random game in Season mode in July on both systems, and it took around a second to sim each day. That might not seem like much of a big deal, but consider that Franchise mode has 3 times the games as season mode and things might start getting a little slow in that mode.

Just setting expectations a bit.

Edit: Ooooh....Even with the presentation as bare bones as it is, one thing did make it over from PS3 - the franchise ticker!

Last edited by bcruise; 03-06-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #76
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
The first thing I did last night, until freaking 1:00 AM, was try to figure out how to turn the menu music off too. The only way I could accomplish this was by going to audio settings and turning off all of the music.
Yeah, I eventually thought of that as well.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #77
#ITFDB

sbmnky's Arena

OVR: 14

After playing with game all weekend (w/o the benefit of having the PS3 version), I have to say the game is amazing and I'm having a blast playing it.

I was initially disappointed with the lack of custom batting cameras, but then I stumbled upon the catcher offset cam which offsets from the view of the batter. This is very similar to the camera I was using last year and it's improved my ball/strike ratio at the plate immensely.

I spent a ton of time in BP mode to get used to the Vita controls and I think this a must to get timing and a good understanding of the strike zone. I'm starting to hit and get walks, but I still strike out too much. My pitching is also suspect - pulse pitching w/o aides is tough, but I'm loving it. I see myself playing the Vita more than the PS3 version just because of it's convenience and that fact that I'm away from my house more often than not.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #78
Pro

Geolink's Arena

OVR: 4

Looking forward to getting playing time with the Vita version later today.

Didn't get to play with it much except changing around settings last night.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #79
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

another thing i noticed on the vita version which I do not like is there is no option (or at least I have not found it) to use classic base running, which is what i use on the PS3
Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #80
Pro

OVR: 5

when will it be available in the ps store to download?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »