Home

Harsh review from Games Radar

This is a discussion on Harsh review from Games Radar within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #25
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Harsh review from Games Radar

To be fair...Ramone did say that the review copies could go online....and it has been a sticking point for the game.

That said....the rest of the review reeks of not spending any real time with the game AND not knowing the feel of playing baseball.

-the new ball physics make this the best baseball game to date. Bar none.
-the fixes to the franchise mode make it the best franchise mode available in a baseball game. Bar none.
-the visuals...fantastic as usual
-many more OSD's
-true broadcast(even with a few hiccups is great)
-and it's obvious that the reviewer didn't give the time in to hear new audio. It's there. We know we're going to hear "old" audio....no game that is a series won't have it. The "stale" talk is getting...well....stale!

Hopefully....online is better than the reviewer alluded to.....but it's really the only thing in the review I can give credence to.(for now....hoping)

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #26
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
I don't want to be a jerk. But I will be the one that "went there"...

"She"...

Most girls do not grasp how a baseball game should play or feel, most don't grasp baseball in general. Gamer or not, one word: "Pink Hats"

Now yes there are those that will educate men about the fine intricacies of the beloved sport, but those are at a much lower (see: lightning strikes twice) clip than a man would.

Disclaimer: I just said what most wanted to say, and my girlfriend agreed with me after she herself read the ESPB review to me!

All comical and in jest of course, with still be it truths.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 03-05-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #27
Rookie

h4mbon3s's Arena

OVR: 0

I found this earlier when I was googling for reviews. I thought it was terrible.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I don't want to be a jerk. But I will be the one that "went there"...

"She"...

Most girls do not grasp how a baseball game should play or feel, most don't grasp baseball in general. Gamer or not, one word: "Pink Hats"

Now yes there are those that will educate men about the fine intricacies of the beloved sport, but those are at a much lower (see: lightning strikes twice) clip than a man would.

Disclaimer: I just said what most wanted to say, and my girlfriend agreed with me after she herself read the ESPB review to me!

All comical and in jest of course, with still be it truths.
Totally, totally disagree with this (where's the dislike button when it's needed!) from personal experience, having a baseball loving Mom, aunts, lady friends you name it. BUT I understand kinda where your coming from.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #29
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

I guess I disagree with most. To me, she sounded like she does know baseball and has played The Show for a long time.

What this review shows is that some (or many?) people do not care about the little things. That doesn't make her any less of a baseball fan or video game reviewer. In fact, it's reasonable to argue that most ****** fans of the game will feel exactly as this reviewer felt when they first pop in the game.

Not taking anything away from the developers, but we've been hearing for months how some gamers here on OS were concerned that the game hadn't improved much in terms of graphics or gameplay.

Yes, the lighting has improved and the ball physics are a huge change, but we're talking about ****** baseball fans that probably make up a larger percentage of buyers than us hard heads. ****** fans aren't going to notice or care that the sunlight from RF is sneaking out of the clouds at just the right angle and bouncing off the helmets realistically. Consider that we have people here that spend an inordinate amount of time analyzing and comparing real life shots to the video game counterparts.

****** fans aren't doing that.

Ball physics is a huge deal to us, but most ****** baseball gamers aren't going to notice or care that the ball slices or bounces off the grass realistically. They just want to know if the ball is going through for a single or being scooped up by the fielder.

Her complaints are valid for what she is expecting out of the game. That doesn't mean MLB The Show isn't vastly improved. Just know that her readers are likely people that take the same enjoyment out of the game as she does. She's writing to her audience and her audience is right in their expectations.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 5

Bottom line is, in this generation of video games and in terms of sports games, the show is a great game and the last few installments of the show rank right up there with the best sports games ever.

If you don't agree you either aren't a true baseball fan, not a sports game person, or have unreasonable expectations for a game.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 6

I've known of Kat Bailey for quite a while. I'm surprised she was ever tasked with doing a review for a sports games, as I've never seen her do one before, nor show any inclination to do so in various podcasts she's been on. She's known for being primarily an RPG fan (of all kinds/platforms).

I feel the review is shallow, that she glosses over or hates every new feature. To me, the review doesn't read as if she spent much time with the game. I think she did the game, and herself as a reviewer, a disservice.

There will always be low ends of the spectrum. I'd wager this one will fall in that low end. Reviews are, ultimately, subjective. Besides, just about everyone on this forum is going to pick up the game anyway. We don't need her, or anyone's, justification to enjoy the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #32
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
If it is pointed at ****** fans, then they are not buying the game every single year, so comments like, "it has not changed at all" are not only false, but unwarranted then.

Even someone ****** can notice a difference of the ball in play if they "played last years".

So yes, physics should have been mentioned. It is a main bullet point and feature that is new. ****** or not. To neglect mentioning it to think you have to write to a certain demographic is a disservice.

Are ******s even going to look for a baseball review? Just curious.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 03-05-2012 at 09:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »