Home

MLB 12 The Show Video Review (GameSpot)

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show Video Review (GameSpot) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #25
Banned

FreezeTime's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: MLB 12 The Show Video Review (GameSpot)

LOL at people that actually go to gamestop for anything video game related. They have some of the worse reviews around period. They score A LOT of good games low. I think they even game Skyward Sword a 7.5 when it got mostly 9's and 10's from every other site. Then have been reviewing games low for years now. Don't take any of their reviews seriously. The best reviews in the business come from sites like gametrailers, IGN, the escapist, etc. Gamestop is literally one of the worst. Here is a comparison from the escapist for last years 2 baseball games:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...LB-11-The-Show
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #26
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
It's not that we on here are worried. It's that when it unfairly gets reviewed low, it does effect investments and sales wether we think so or not.

Which will effect us in the long run, if this trend is allowed to continue.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #27
Rookie

reersh9's Arena

OVR: 0

The comments in this thread are embarrassing and perfectly indicative of why reviews in the gaming industry are a joke today. A score of 7.5 should be perceived as quality with plenty of room for improvement (online lag, glitches/bugs that remain from past years, pulse pitching is poor quality, franchise mode needs deeper options).

By today's industry examples, the best of the best games seem to receive something like a score of 9.8 to 10. Amazing games get something like a 9.5, quality a 9, decent an 8.5. Games that will only appeal to their niche market get an 8 and supposedly anything below that is utter crap.

That system is broken. If the past three years are indicative of MLB12, a 7.5 seems about right to me.

Good on you guys for perpetuating the problem. The Show series is not close to perfect. Simply being the best sports game out there does not automatically mean it's a good game; the bar has been lowered for half a decade now and the bugs/glitches thread year in and year out are a shining example of the blatant refusal by SD and Sony to strive for anything more than small, incremental upgrades.

Personally, I'm tired of being an unpaid game tester for San Diego Studios. It stunned me to see so many issues from the 2008-2010 releases still present in last year's iteration; I didn't bother getting my hopes up this year expecting anything different.

It's amazing that a studio can publicly announce that they are ending support for a baseball game at the end of May without any backlash, especially from such supposed diehard fans. I'm tired of seeing balls going through walls or under the playing field, fatal animation loops, extremely long load times (rumored to be better if you choose the 10GB install) and one of the worst online experiences you can find in a sports game of this caliber.

Lastly, it's sad to see honest reviews buried under romanticized comments from delusional fanboys and those so thirsty for a taste of baseball that they throw any rational thought aside.

My copy should be here today; I am excited for baseball. After the past three years of feeling like I received an incomplete and broken product, I can't say I'm too excited for The Show.

Last edited by reersh9; 03-06-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #28
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by reersh9
The comments in this thread are embarrassing and perfectly indicative of why reviews in the gaming industry are a joke today. A score of 7.5 should be perceived as quality with plenty of room for improvement (online lag, glitches/bugs that remain from past years, pulse pitching is poor quality, franchise mode needs deeper options).

By today's industry examples, the best of the best games seem to receive something like a score of 9.8 to 10. Amazing games get something like a 9.5, quality a 9, decent an 8.5. Games that will only appeal to their niche market get an 8 and supposedly anything below that is utter crap.

That system is broken. If the past three years are indicative of MLB12, a 7.5 seems about right to me.

Good on you guys for perpetuating the problem. The Show series is not close to perfect. Simply being the best sports game out there does not automatically mean it's a good game; the bar has been lowered for half a decade now and the bugs/glitches thread year in and year out are a shining example of the blatant refusal by SD and Sony to strive for anything more than small, incremental upgrades.

Personally, I'm tired of being an unpaid game tester for San Diego Studios. It stunned me to see so many issues from the 2008-2010 releases still present in last year's iteration; I didn't bother getting my hopes up this year expecting anything different.

It's amazing that a studio can publicly announce that they are ending support for a baseball game at the end of May without any backlash, especially from such supposed diehard fans. I'm tired of seeing balls going through walls or under the playing field, fatal animation loops, extremely long load times (rumored to be better if you choose the 10GB install) and one of the worst online experiences you can find in a sports game of this caliber.

Lastly, it's sad to see honest reviews buried under romanticized comments from delusional fanboys and those so thirsty for a taste of baseball that they throw any rational thought aside.

My copy should be here today; I am excited for baseball. After the past three years of feeling like I received an incomplete and broken product, I can't say I'm too excited for The Show.
I'd be interested in hearing your opinion after you play the game.

Edit: and I mean that in all seriousness, not trying to be snide. I personally think that this version of the game is THAT good, and polished.

YouTube

Last edited by thaSLAB; 03-06-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #29
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by reersh9

In my best British aristocrat voice

"Pardon me.....would you please pass me the Grey Poupon?"

Get over yourself a bit and let loose.
Unpucker a bit and have some fun.(if it's possible, but I'm having doubts!)

M.K.
Knight165
Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #30
Rookie

loogs's Arena

OVR: 3

06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11 and now 12 are all the same game. the 7.5 score seems about right. if you dont give gamers something new and improved, its going to be noticed.

too many bugs, the same commentary, wrong batting stances, the list goes on and on. and now they dont even include the new playoff format. i think ill finally pass on a game that ive been swearing for the past few years, that i would pass on.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 0

The game is rated on a 1-10 scale and got a 7.5 (good) score.

I don't see what the complaint is?

I think it's hilarious that a review that received a 7.5 "good" review, is somehow not giving the game the credit it deserves.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #32
Pro

sparkdawg777's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loogs
06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11 and now 12 are all the same game. the 7.5 score seems about right. if you dont give gamers something new and improved, its going to be noticed.

too many bugs, the same commentary, wrong batting stances, the list goes on and on. and now they dont even include the new playoff format. i think ill finally pass on a game that ive been swearing for the past few years, that i would pass on.

So you're saying MLB '06 is the same game as MLB '12?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »