Home

Catcher Calling a Terrible Game

This is a discussion on Catcher Calling a Terrible Game within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
I have been using fan graphs data as well as an app called batting goggles which is outdated but seems to have fairly accurate hot and cold zones. I mix up my pitches locations and speed and that seems to work for me. The API is sometimes not the best way too go.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Catcher Calling a Terrible Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
That's a pitch you should never throw anyway. If you're throwing a change-up for a strike it should be on the outside portion of the plate. Throwing it anywhere else in the strike zone is just asking for the ball to get crushed. If you ever see a pitcher in real life throw a change-up in the inner part of the zone, he missed his spot badly.

The API calls for some really stupid pitches at times. If you're going to use it, be willing to ignore it sometimes.
Tell that to Felix Hernandez lol

Location on 0-2 counts against right-handed batters:

A changeup down and in can be one of the deadliest pitches in baseball if used properly, he's probably the only guy that does this though.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 9

The thing with the changeup in is that for the most part you want to make sure it is out of the zone. If you leave it in the zone you are more then likely seeing that pitch pulled over the wall. If it is out of the zone its going foul more then not, or being pounded into the ground if its both in and down. If you have a dominate fastball though the inside changeup is a great out pitch.

As far as the calling of games the catchers call any pitch anywhere, which we all know isn't realistic at all. I'm never throwing a slider belt high or above that is in the zone. I'm never throwing a sinker up in the zone period so why is he programmed to even ask for it. Of course the guys with the better call game ratings do much better and thus why you see it more in the minors than the majors.
GM of the KC Royals in the OS Arbitration Thread

Last edited by HechticSooner; 05-12-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I believe the reason the AI catcher calls for so many pitches over the plate (even ones that shouldn't end up there) is because it's trying to compensate for the notion that the pitcher will probably miss that mark due to the low ratings. The problem with that is that the pitcher is just as likely to miss to either side, and that means you stand a pretty good chance of throwing meatballs if you follow it exactly.

Personally I think API calls for too many strikes anyway even in normal games, and as such I only use it as a general area guide for where to pitch rather than the exact spot. For example, if the API calls for something down and away, but still in the zone, I'll often times push my aiming marker even more toward that corner or even off the plate. And if I'm way ahead in the count I'll move it away from that dot even more, to make waste pitches that will almost certainly miss the plate.

Of course I will walk people like this at times, but it's better than leaving a fat one over the middle. Especially when the bullpen takes over - the low ratings of those pitchers can turn one fat fastball into a homerun, as many of us well know. I'd MUCH rather walk someone with a reliever than leave it out over the plate.

Last edited by bcruise; 05-12-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 9

Is it just me or do catchers have different abilities to call a good game?

In my 3 franchises (yes 3!) lol - I've allowed the catcher API to call the games and I've noticed that lower rated and/or youngs catchers call very conservative and predictable games.

Nomo said catchers in the minors they call horrible games, so my findings would go right along the same path as his.

Anybody else notice a difference in catchers ability to call a game?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »