Home

RTTS: Contractual Options

This is a discussion on RTTS: Contractual Options within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 7
RTTS: Contractual Options

Looks like I picked the wrong day I start a thread.

Anyway, I'm sure The Show '13 has gone gold or whatever, but maybe this is something for '14, or could be patched in if possible, but......

I'd really like if we had the OPTIONS to change how contracts work PRIOR to starting our RTTS. Essentially I am speaking about the 6 years of team control a team has over our players. I (and many others perhaps) have always just wanted to get to that moment where we have 10 teams offering for our services. Where we get to finally sign that contract deal, and make our own destiny. THAT'S what I want. I usually find myself just asking for a trade to change things up.

If they could allow us to change the contractual option on team control to 2 years IN THE SYSTEM, that would be great. So after 2 seasons, we could declare for free agency and pick our own contract with whatever teams are offering. I hate being a slave to 1 team, because I never am able to play 6 major league seasons in RTTS, that's a TON. I find myself simming 2-3 years just to try and make it possible.

Anyway, that's my idea to make RTTS more fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: RTTS: Contractual Options

That's not realistic at all. The six years of protection is for the team's sake.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
That's not realistic at all. The six years of protection is for the team's sake.
You know what else isn't realistic? Here I'll make you a list:
  1. Mind controlling 9 different players AND the manager, and controlling their every move.
  2. Playing home games at a different stadium
  3. Magically skipping games without actually playing them
  4. Instantly giving a player a concussion, torn ACL or any other sort of injury, at will.
  5. Instantly healing a concussion, torn ACL, or any other sort of injury, at will.
  6. Disabling injuries.
  7. Disabling fatigue, budgets, etc...
  8. The Cubs winning a World Series
You get the idea...

Being "unrealistic" has never been a barrier of entry before, nor should it be. This thread is about an option that OP feels would enhance his enjoyment of the game, by bypassing the excessive amount of time between when he starts playing, and when he's a free man. Such an option would be merely that, an option, and has no bearing on the gameplay of anyone who choses to ignore the feature.
I have to assume you aren't saying all of the above listed things should also be removed from the game, since they are all in fact "unrealistic" options.
So... unless you have a REAL argument or point against the OP's suggestion, I assume you're in favor?

Last edited by Bobhead; 01-05-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Yeah, I understand how and why it's applicable in real life, but in terms of a video game, I don't want to be tied down for 6 years without ever having a say-so in what team I get.

And I asked as an OPTION, not as a new rule.

Does a FANTASY DRAFT ever happen in real life? NO, but they give us the OPTION in this game because it's fun that way.

Can you ever TURN INJURIES OFF in real life? NO, but it's an OPTION because some people don't find it fun to lose your best player for the year.

I think you get my point.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
Yeah, I understand how and why it's applicable in real life, but in terms of a video game, I don't want to be tied down for 6 years without ever having a say-so in what team I get.

And I asked as an OPTION, not as a new rule.

Does a FANTASY DRAFT ever happen in real life? NO, but they give us the OPTION in this game because it's fun that way.

Can you ever TURN INJURIES OFF in real life? NO, but it's an OPTION because some people don't find it fun to lose your best player for the year.

I think you get my point.
I don't think they can get this in for '13...but put it in the RTTS thread and it will be suggested to Kirby_SCEA.

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
You know what else isn't realistic? Here I'll make you a list:
  1. Mind controlling 9 different players AND the manager, and controlling their every move.
  2. Playing home games at a different stadium
  3. Magically skipping games without actually playing them
  4. Instantly giving a player a concussion, torn ACL or any other sort of injury, at will.
  5. Instantly healing a concussion, torn ACL, or any other sort of injury, at will.
  6. Disabling injuries.
  7. Disabling fatigue, budgets, etc...
  8. The Cubs winning a World Series
You get the idea...

Being "unrealistic" has never been a barrier of entry before, nor should it be. This thread is about an option that OP feels would enhance his enjoyment of the game, by bypassing the excessive amount of time between when he starts playing, and when he's a free man. Such an option would be merely that, an option, and has no bearing on the gameplay of anyone who choses to ignore the feature.
I have to assume you aren't saying all of the above listed things should also be removed from the game, since they are all in fact "unrealistic" options.
So... unless you have a REAL argument or point against the OP's suggestion, I assume you're in favor?
I do have a "real" argument against the OP's suggestion, and that is in the current setup of Major League Baseball, players that first move up to the major leagues start their clock of six years of pre-free agency. Now if he wants to play the Michael Young Trade-Me game that's fine, but there's a reason why this is in the game to begin with.

I'm not trying to argue about flawed mechanics in the game, I'm making a case that the rules of Baseball and its agreement with the Player's Union make this game "So real that it's unreal." Unless you just want to throw a wrench into the whole contract mechanism, I don't see why this is even an issue.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
I do have a "real" argument against the OP's suggestion, and that is in the current setup of Major League Baseball, players that first move up to the major leagues start their clock of six years of pre-free agency. Now if he wants to play the Michael Young Trade-Me game that's fine, but there's a reason why this is in the game to begin with.

I'm not trying to argue about flawed mechanics in the game, I'm making a case that the rules of Baseball and its agreement with the Player's Union make this game "So real that it's unreal." Unless you just want to throw a wrench into the whole contract mechanism, I don't see why this is even an issue.
He is only asking for it as an option.....and if they implement it where they simply ask the USER....."How many years of service time would you like to start with?"....that's all the game would look for as far as the mechanics.

While I think it's called RTTS for a reason(the devs wanted you to fight your way through the ranks)....I don't think implementing a choice of how long until your minor league FA is that bad.

I know what you're saying PZ...and technically you're right, but options are never bad!

M.K.
Knight165
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I know what you're saying PZ...and technically you're right, but options are never bad!

M.K.
Knight165
My true problem with this is that this is supposed to be a simulation of what a young player goes through on the way to the Major Leagues. In addition to that, I don't want some option added that breaks the whole thing (and I've seen that in the past with many games).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »