Home

Online Pass for MLB 13 The Show

This is a discussion on Online Pass for MLB 13 The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
HAMBURGLAR

edwing's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Online Pass for MLB 13 The Show

I don't know what this exactly means, but in the game description on Gamestop's site it says: "Play with friends around the world at no extra cost on PlayStation Network."
Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaballa
I don't know what this exactly means, but in the game description on Gamestop's site it says: "Play with friends around the world at no extra cost on PlayStation Network."
It means buy it new from them (or any other retailer) and you get a free online pass. Like it always has.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
HAMBURGLAR

edwing's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
It means buy it new from them (or any other retailer) and you get a free online pass. Like it always has.
Ah that's what I thought as well. Don't know why that would be advertised as a feature then, especially since I don't think they change the descriptions for pre-owned games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #12
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Ah that's what I thought as well. Don't know why that would be advertised as a feature then, especially since I don't think they change the descriptions for pre-owned games.
Here in CA Gamestop actually agreed to advertise (although in practice this has been hard to find in store from my experience, but I have seen it and I did see ONE clerk mention the online pass to a customer) that games bought used that require online passes or came with similar buy-it-new DLC may not have the code be present or that it may be used.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/game...gs-used-games/

I'm unsure if it ever got rolled out to more states.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
That's actually an advertisement for PSN, not the game. Sony likes to put it on their games to point out the fact that you'd have to pay extra to do the same thing on XBox.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #14
Rookie

OriolesFanRD's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
If you buy the game brand new it comes with the online pass. So how are you penalized ?
Because if I wanted to take the game over a friends/family/significant friend with benefits house I wouldn't be able to go online unless I loaded my PSN onto their system. But I already have my PSN loaded on 2 PS3's, so now I gotta deactivate one of said systems to activate on another. See where I'm going with this?

Or for the simple fact if I have another PSN account that I use and pay for things online with, I can't use the item I purchase because the game only recognize the pass for the first name I registered on. That's how I'm penalized. Because back in the day I didn't have to deal with this absurd nonsense.

The consumers are losers in this situation. And if anyone told you otherwise they're in denial or Corporate Apologist.
  • Baltimore Orioles
  • San Antonio Spurs
  • Maryland Terps [Basketball|Football]
Online Championship Wrestling
2012 Baltimore Orioles - Left us way too soon. Fun ride, fellas!
2014 Baltimore Orioles - My soul hurts. It hurts really bad
Old 02-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #15
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

But you have to look at it from both perspectives.

Sure the online pass is a hassle, so is on disc DLC or buy-it-new content (i.e. Batman Arkham City). So are preorder bonuses for that matter too. But it is all in place for one reason, maximizing profitability of the product.

They allow for a greater profit to be made for publishers and game makers, which is why I assume this has become almost a standard. This profit theoretically gets put back into the games the publisher makes. In this case possibly MLB 14. I won't say that the online pass really results in more revenue because I have no idea if it does, but there is a reason that this has been occurring at a higher frequency. The publishers have numbers and they use them. If they thought they were losing sales, would they continue to utilize them?

You cannot help that people buy the game used, so you feel that you are being punished for buying it new. But with every copy that is bought new instead of used, perhaps some of that revenue gets put back into SCEA and subsequently SDS. People will still buy the game used, sure, but I wonder what the numbers are from a place like Gamestop if you compare the years before The Show had an online pass and then after they introduced it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2013, 03:42 AM   #16
Banned

FreezeTime's Arena

OVR: 7

This is a Sony mandate. SCEA has no control over it.

For those complaining, just imagine if the rumors are true about only being able to play a game on the original system the game was first played. That's WAY worse than not being able to play a game online at a friends house. You'll have to lug your PS3 to his house to play The Show.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »