Home

first pitch meatballs....bug?

This is a discussion on first pitch meatballs....bug? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #89
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: first pitch meatballs....bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB Bob
I have always played with 1 or 2 ticks for strike frequency, I mentioned it earlier if you follow the thread..it still happens in RTTS. The "helpful" suggestions arent helpful, we arent stupid, or most of us arent. Ive tried lowering and then upped everything but strike frequency and it still happens. Ive played 17 games in RTTS and I have 12 home runs, I had 7 after 6 games. Im crushing the ball because its coming right down the middle, or there abouts, its not in the corners or outside. Just what Im seeing and have tried all the helpful hints.
Try this:

CPU Control - 5 (default)
CPU Consistency - 3
CPU Strike Frequency - 0
Old 03-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #90
Just started!

OVR: 0

Just finished my first 4 franchise games, and while i am no where near "good" at baseball games, i am playing on all-star, with default sliders, and while i get a good challenge from the computer, (in fact striking out more then i should and walking far to rarely) i would say 85 percent of my "well hit balls" come in the very first pitch of the at bat. In the game i just played, i hit 3 home runs on the very first pitch a batter sees, even when i am hoping to lay off, they are just too right there to ignore. Its not every pitch, some are thrown well outside as the cpu adapts to my aggressiveness, but the best pitches i see are always the first...
Old 03-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #91
Rookie

Levesque7's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
I mentioned this earlier in the thread and of course it's ignored. This slider has always needed to be adjusted and seems like it's no difference this year. I'll have to try it out some more tonight, because I noticed there was seemingly too many 1st pitch fastballs as well. But this was in RttS and AA, where it makes sense that weaker pitchers are trying to get ahead.

ie: lower the slider guys, or up the difficulty...or both.
It's ignored because its not the same as every year. It's different this year. I've had every game since 08 and never had to adjust sliders before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #92
Rookie

Exactly. There is a difference between tweaking the sliders to make it more/less challenging and dealing with a fundamental gameplay flaw. You can't use the sliders to mask a bug this blatant. There are numerous posts in this thread that confirms this. Only way to fix is for SECA to patch.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #93
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

My RttS player got promoted to AAA and I still see 70-80 first pitch fastballs (or whatever their "no 1" pitch is) right down the middle. I was on AS but bumped up to HoF and it made zero difference. My player is currently hitting about a combined .400 with 43 HR and 139 RBI and its July 31. I generally never mess with sliders but apparently I need to. Seems....strange that just about every first pitch is right down the middle.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #94
Rookie

BTW, I created a "bug report" ticket on their site and I saw atleast one other person reported the same bug so hopefully it's looked into soon...
Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #95
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Not that it matters how you define it, but what if this is less of a "bug" and more a gameplay design done intentionally to help the user have more offensive success? There is always give and take with the "fun" versus "realism" crowd, and this could be an example of the "fun" side bleeding into our realm of realism.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #96
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

If this indeed an issue it's going to have to be proven to the guys in charge, so I did some research and the results were interesting. First off, on average the first pitch strike happens roughly 60% of the time with the Phils Cliff Lee leading the way at 71.6% so the first thing that needs to be done is first pitch strike tracking to see if it does indeed mimic real life.
From there we get into the strategy of whether to swing or not to swing, and which option is better for the team overall, this article was absolutely fascinating and I suggest reading it, what it suggests is that even though BABIP(.315) for first pitch strikes is much better than overall BABIP(.297), batters are actually swinging less! To me this has everything to do with pitch count and the desire of nearly every MLB club to get into the opponents bullpen. What do you guys think? Here's the article

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...h-strike-game/

Another theory I have is this, maybe it's not the first pitch strikes that are the problem, maybe it's that hitting is too easy and that's what needs to be lowered with sliders. Checking this is easy as well, calculate BABIP for first pitch hits.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »