Home

first pitch meatballs....bug?

This is a discussion on first pitch meatballs....bug? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #105
Pro

C_Bailey24's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: first pitch meatballs....bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
I dropped CPU pitch consistent, strike and control all the way to 0 and it took all the way until the 2nd batter of the 6th inning to finally get a first pitch that wasn't a fastball for a strike. It was a slider inside off the plate to a right-handed batter. I've only be able to get to 2 balls on 3 or 4 batters in almost 3 full games of playing so far.

Were you letting every first pitch go by?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #106
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Bailey24
Were you letting every first pitch go by?
In my RTTS I wasnt letting them go by. I was taking them deep or at least for doubles off the wall, and they still pitched them down the middle. Not sure if lowering the cpu strike frequency and consistency also affects my computer controlled pitcher in my 1Bman RTTS but I was having a lot of 11-15 saw a 17-18 game. Lots of high scores. Ive mostly played RTTS. In the exhibition game I played I just noticed how much easier it was to hit.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #107
Just started!

SweettChinMusic's Arena

OVR: 0

Swing hard in case you hit it!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #108
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

I just fired up an exhibition game between the Twins and Astros to test this out. I'm just not seeing what many others are. I think starting pitchers want to get ahead so they try to throw first-pitch strikes which are often fastballs. The ones for strikes weren't in the center "square" of the hot/cold zone though. As the game wore on the starters' command changed as well. When the bullpen guys came in they threw more first pitch strikes, but that's how it is in real life. Those guys may only have one or two pitches working and they HAVE to get ahead or they get the hook.

I was seeing about 60% first pitch strikes, and only two or three were what I call meatballs. I hit three home runs in the game on first pitch fastballs, however, not a single one was down the pipe. One was up and in, another down and away, and the third was on the outside corner.

At one point I counted five straight batters who took a first-pitch ball. Three were fastballs.

To be honest, it just feels like baseball to me.

Last edited by jmik58; 03-06-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #109
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
I just fired up an exhibition game between the Twins and Astros to test this out. I'm just not seeing what many others are. I think starting pitchers want to get ahead so they try to throw first-pitch strikes which are often fastballs. The ones for strikes weren't in the center "square" of the hot/cold zone though. As the game wore on the starters' command changed as well. When the bullpen guys came in they threw more first pitch strikes, but that's how it is in real life. Those guys may only have one or two pitches working and they HAVE to get ahead or they get the hook.

I was seeing about 60% first pitch strikes, and only two or three were what I call meatballs. I hit three home runs in the game on first pitch fastballs, however, not a single one was down the pipe. One was up and in, another down and away, and the third was on the outside corner.

To be honest, it just feels like baseball to me.
Play RttS. You will see it then.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #110
Rookie

I notice in AA of RTTS this is pretty prevalent, I hit something like .450 with 20+ homers in a half season. However when I played in the futures game against a good pitcher I struggled, he threw a lot of breaking stuff at me. And then in my 2nd year I was placed on the 40 man and invited to spring training and holy schnikes did I struggle. Dont think I saw a single fast ball, a lot of breaking stuff outside the zone, good pitchers don't need to throw stuff down the middle because they have such good accuracy and can work the edges, definitely makes it harder on the hitter. I've only played 2 quick play games, one as cardinals against garza and the cubs and the other as cardinals against cueto and the reds and both games were close affairs, maybe i'm just not that good, but i have really really enjoyed the gameplay thus far.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #111
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
Play RttS. You will see it then.
yeah, in AA when you are facing 50-60 overall pitchers. wait until you get invited to spring training or promoted to the bigs, HUUUGE difference. in real life a lot of low level minors guys are forced to throw a lot of fastballs because they do not have developed secondary pitches, i don't have a problem with the way it has worked at all. i can tell right now i'm gonna struggle big time when i first get called up because i wont be able to jump all over fastballs ill have to watch the whole zone and will myself to stop chasing junk.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #112
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15

The people that seem to not be getting it, try it in RTTS If this is an issue, and I believe it is , but it may not be so im not declaring anyone right or wrong, but my logic is: If its happening on the first pitch of an at bat each inning in other modes, than in RTTS, since I am only batting in my RTTS, is always the first pitch of the inning. Before it never showed the pitches in the history for your team mates. So this, to me, seems like a little quirk in franchise, exhibition etc that gets magnified in RTTS due to only seeing my player bat. I noticed this before I came here and saw a thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »