Home

Stealing THIRD

This is a discussion on Stealing THIRD within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Stealing THIRD

It really depends on the pitcher as much as the speed of the runner. Right now I am doing a Whitesox Franchise, and for some reason I am able to tear up the basepaths on Verlander. Even out of the stretch he has a very deliberate and slow leg kick. I stole second and third on him twice in one game with De Aza (81 Speed). The kicker is that all steals except for one steal was a stand up steal. I got such good jumps that the catcher did not even bother to throw.

Also the early steal button can be used to great effect. If you can hold that button and learn to time a pitchers wind up effectively you can really create problems for the opposition. If your breaking before the pitcher goes into a wind up he will step off and get you everytime.

Also pitch count. Are you running against fastballs. Pitchers with a really high velocity on there fastballs are not going to get beat very often unless your guy has real elite speed, and even then it is difficult to accomplish the steal. Try and work the counts. You can steal much more effectively on a breaking pitch then a fastball. Try and mix it up as well. If you are continously trying to steal on the first or second pitch the computer will pick up on this and delay there wind up even longer to catch you running off base early. Mix it up. Work some counts and steal at different scenarios. Just because you have carlos gomez on first or second (99 Speed) does not mean you have to attempt a steal everytime. If you do that your creating uneccessary outs and taking away RBI opportunities for your big bats.

Edit: I have also noticed that sometimes just leading off with a good base stealer can help take a pitcher off of his game. He will continuously go for the pick off move throwing off his rythym. This can also lead to him giving you more fastballs in at bat that you can turn into Home runs or big doubles. The computer seems to realize that a breaking ball might give the runner the break to steal the base and will throw alot of fastballs. These are great pitches to hit.

Last edited by Caliboy626; 04-15-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
2022 Clark Cup Champions!

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20

I find it kind of easy to steal personally, out of 10 attempts i only got picked off 3 times. And the speed ranged from 52 to 71. For me, its all about timing. Try and pick the right pitch as well, obviously if you run on a fastball count the ball will get to the pitcher faster and then bam...your out. Trying reading the pitcher and see what/when he throws in certian counts. I tend to try and run if hes going to throw a change-up, curve or anything else slow.
MLB - Toronto Blue Jays 56-45
NHL - Colorado Avalanche 2022 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
United States Hockey League - Sioux City Musketeers
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
Rookie

As someone else pointed out, if you want to be successful stealing bases, you have to read the pitcher and the count. Fastballs and pitchouts are obviously steal killers. Off-speed pitches and hitter's counts are what you're looking for. 2-1 is always a good count to run on. 2-2 and 3-2 counts are also good and have hit and run potential since the batter is protecting. Personally, I've been having no trouble stealing but the only way you're going to have success trying to take third is if you play it smart. In real baseball, runners are able to take a bigger lead off of second because it's an awkward throw and they aren't in the pitcher's line of sight therefore less likely to targeted for a pickoff. If the guy on the mound is a lefty, the advantage is even greater. But if you're trying to take third with a normal lead, you might have problems, since the catcher has a much shorter throw down to third than he does to second. Gonna have to get a great jump if you're gonna play it that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm currently 42-0 with Mike Trout at stealing any base.

Just press L2 every first pitch he's on and he beats the throw.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
Pro

indcolts18288's Arena

OVR: 2

I steal 3rd when I have the opportunity and I usually use Cargo. His speed rating is 81.
Blackhawks fan
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
Rookie

Problem is, this isn't real baseball...you can't extend your lead after the pitcher looks over. if you take a second step off, he throws back. if you leave at any point before he starts his motion, you're in a rundown. it isn't realistic in this way and doesn't let you get a better jump when on 2nd...and with the shorter throw, I don't think I've have a successful steal of 3rd yet in around 15 attempts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmykels
In real baseball, runners are able to take a bigger lead off of second because it's an awkward throw and they aren't in the pitcher's line of sight therefore less likely to targeted for a pickoff. If the guy on the mound is a lefty, the advantage is even greater. But if you're trying to take third with a normal lead, you might have problems, since the catcher has a much shorter throw down to third than he does to second. Gonna have to get a great jump if you're gonna play it that way.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscbears99
just wondering why you would think its easier to steal 3rd? Its appx a 127 foot throw from home to second vs a 90 ft throw from home to 3rd
Actually, I've always been pretty successful stealing third. If no one is covering you and you time/guess the pitcher's number of looks correctly, you get a bigger lead, momentum toward the bag, and an earlier take-off if everything goes right.

I don't know what else it is, but I also always feel like I'm "running downhill" when going toward third base. Maybe somebody else can further elaborate on this feeling if they've felt it, too. Everything has always felt easier stealing third, like it feels easier stealing off a lefty when on first base even though you have to wait to make sure the pitcher is going to the plate. I just can't explain it.

NOTE: I'm talking about real life.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 04-18-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »