Home

Let's discuss the new timing window

This is a discussion on Let's discuss the new timing window within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Let's discuss the new timing window

As we all know, MLB 13 features an expanded timing window compared to previous games. And, as most of you know, I have had my share of issues with the new change when using Timing hitting. Early swings are a frequent occurrence for me.

I've increased pitch speed (that has helped a bit) changed camera angles and tried to wait an extra beat before pressing the swing button. I've spent time in the batting cages, too.

I still can't get it and I'm growing frustrated.

After another exercise in frustration, I popped in MLB 12 and played a game of my Mets franchise. Why did SCEA go away from 12's timing window? To me it is perfect. You really have to anticipate a pitch to put the proper swing on it. Turning on fastballs can be tough, but that is how it should be. I liked having to start my swing before the ball got on top of me, which by all indications, is how 13's timing window works.

Any tips for how to be a good hitter in 13, or tips on how to replicate 13's timing window would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
MVP

CKW11's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Let's discuss the new timing window

I was having the same problem as you, I knocked down the timing window one or two notches (not sure which and I'm not at my ps at the time) and bumped pitch speed up, and took a couple days off from playing and sure enough that did the trick for me.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #3

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Never used timing hitting so I'm just throwing this out there but is there a possibility it was done to make zone hitting more responsive?

I use zone and it feels so much more natural to me this year than last year.

In no way am I justifying it and feel for you but just wanted to mention it.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Never used timing hitting so I'm just throwing this out there but is there a possibility it was done to make zone hitting more responsive?

I use zone and it feels so much more natural to me this year than last year.

In no way am I justifying it and feel for you but just wanted to mention it.
I think you are on to something. When I use Analog hitting, I have no issues. My problem is that Analog isn't a good long-term solution for me; it's very tough to use on the Vita and with my limited gaming time, I don't always have the desire to use the interface.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKW11
I was having the same problem as you, I knocked down the timing window one or two notches (not sure which and I'm not at my ps at the time) and bumped pitch speed up, and took a couple days off from playing and sure enough that did the trick for me.
Thanks for the suggestion. Raising pitch speed has helped a little, so hopefully if I change the timing slider that will make things even better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 24

I agree with Kehlis. I play zone hitting, and hitting was quite frustrating in years past, because there was no way to move the PCI before you swing, as early as we had to swing.

The new window makes zone hitting a lot more enjoyable. It's not perfect though, I think it could still be a lot smaller, especially since those "too early" swings lead to a lot of pop-ups and other stuff, instead of foul balls as they should.

Try this:

In previous years, with zone hitting, I was so focused on swinging early enough, that I ended up constantly swinging before my left hand touched the analog stick, thus a lot of my swings were accidentally down the middle.

My solution was to hold my right hand further away from the X button (or square or whatever)... thus making it impossible for me to swing impulsively early.

So instead of resting your finger over the button, hold it back. That way, the time it takes for you to move your hand towards the button delays your swing. It helped me swing later, and even though your situation is different in detail, it seems to be the same in concept. So maybe it will work for you too.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

I'm willing to try anything at this point. Everything else about the game (13) I like a lot, especially the improved ball physics. It's funny because with 12, I struggled for months pulling the ball, but eventually found a way.

The adjustment to the new timing window has been more frustrating to deal with.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Rookie

Frank is the Tank's Arena

OVR: 6

Whenever I'm in a slump, I prefer using the contact swing until I get comfortable. Whenever I get comfortable with timing, I like to use the normal swing and when I guess right on a fastball, I use the power swing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »