Home

No Blowouts - Every Game is a 1, 2, or 3-Run Game!

This is a discussion on No Blowouts - Every Game is a 1, 2, or 3-Run Game! within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
No Blowouts - Every Game is a 1, 2, or 3-Run Game!

I absolutely love this game, and I play every day, but the lack of blowouts is starting to irritate me. It seems that every single game is either a 1-run, 2-run, or at most, 3-run game.

Of the last 20 games I've played, all were either decided by 1 or 2 runs, only two were decided by 3 runs, and there was only one game of more than 3 runs, where the computer won 8-3.

Just last night, I thought I was finally going to have a decisive win when I was up 7-1 in the 7th inning, but lo and behold, the computer answered with a 3-run homer to make it 7-4. I managed to hold off and get the win 7-4, but all these close games are starting to drive me mad. Anyone have any suggestions/tips to have more variety? FYI, my sliders are set so that everything else is playing out pretty realistically. I just have no answer on how to get more variety of close games and blowouts. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: No Blowouts - Every Game is a 1, 2, or 3-Run Game!

I get a handful of blow outs every week (game week). I would say out of every 5 games 2 or 3 are 4 run or more (win or loss).

As for advice I would say watch your starter pitch count, by the 7th how many pitches has he thrown? If its near 90 put in a reliver.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthday_massacre
I get a handful of blow outs every week (game week). I would say out of every 5 games 2 or 3 are 4 run or more (win or loss).

As for advice I would say watch your starter pitch count, by the 7th how many pitches has he thrown? If its near 90 put in a reliver.
Thanks for the tip. I'll see if that helps at all... although I can only see it having an effect when I'm up by a bunch of runs. Most of my games, however, stay within a couple runs throughout the whole game, so this wouldn't really apply.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

I've won games 12-3, 10-4, 9-0, etc. And I've lost by similar scores.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 24

What team are you using?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
What team are you using?
Red Sox. Why would that matter?
Old 06-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai2112
Red Sox. Why would that matter?
Because not all teams are equally conducive to blowout games. If you have a team with great pitching across the board, but only an average offense, you will play more close games than the average team.

I'd bet that teams like the Giants and the Rays have seen fewer blowout games than say the Yankees, Rangers, etc..

I don't have the game in front of me to check but I'm pretty sure the Red Sox have one of the better pitching staffs in baseball, at least according to The Show's ratings.

And of course post giant trade with LA, Boston has solid hitters but their offense as a whole is nothing to write home about.

Last edited by Bobhead; 06-04-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Because not all teams are equally conducive to blowout games. If you have a team with great pitching across the board, but only an average offense, you will play more close games than the average team.

I'd bet that teams like the Giants and the Rays have seen fewer blowout games than say the Yankees, Rangers, etc..

I don't have the game in front of me to check but I'm pretty sure the Red Sox have one of the better pitching staffs in baseball, at least according to The Show's ratings.

And of course post giant trade with LA, Boston has solid hitters but their offense as a whole is nothing to write home about.
I hear that. But regardless, I think the ratio of close games I've had is just way too high to be realistic for any team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »