Home

Hot/cold zones ruin franchise mode?

This is a discussion on Hot/cold zones ruin franchise mode? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
OS Roundtable: How Long Do Sports Games Last for You?
Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal
Need For Speed Heat Review

Old 07-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0

I'm a huge GM mode junkie (aka making roster moves, setting lineups, simming games. I play a few every season), and I can't help but notice cold zones ruin franchise mode in this game.

Most prospects have an abundance of cold zones. When they become 90+ OVR, they still hit ~.250 or under because of them. Meanwhile I can have Brennan Boesch routinely hit .290+ with 25 HR and 75 RBI because he has almost all hot zones.

Profar, Segura (ALL cold zones vs LHP, ALL hot zones vs RHP) to name a couple. It ends up not allowing any prospects to truly flourish and hit .300+. They all hit for low averages. The only one I ever see consistently up there in average is Oscar Taveras, and even then he is extremely inconsistent (he'll hit .310 two years in a row, and then .260 the next four). Drafted prospects (fake prospects) have a few more hot zones usually, but not enough to make a huge difference.

Anyone else notice this? With no way to edit cold zones, is there any workaround for this? It's extremely disappointing. It makes a TON of players in franchise mode just not even worth it to obtain.

Someone could have proof that these zones don't even go into effect in sims, but I can swear they do. There is way too much correlation between guys' batting averages and their hot/cold zones for it not to. Take a guy with all hot zones with 75/75 POW/CON and a guy with all cold zones and I bet there's routinely a .030 pt swing in their averages.

On a slightly different note, there's always elite pitchers that get SHELLED every season, regardless of attributes. You look and see they are 96 OVR with insane attributes, and their last 5 seasons will be like (ERA) 5.75, 6.20, 5.50, 7.05, 4.85...although I don't know what causes that. It's always the same pitchers. Meanwhile Dallas Braden can routinely toss 2.75 ERAs and make all star games. Puzzling.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Hot/cold zones ruin franchise mode?

I am pretty sure hot/cold zones are purely cosmetic.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #3

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
I am pretty sure hot/cold zones are purely cosmetic.
Can anyone confirm this or does anyone have other thoughts on this?

I've not tested it but am curious to know if it's true because the OP brings up a very valid point and one that I've considered over the years.

I've always been a little frustrated with the fact that the "hot" and "cold" zones don't ever change since that kind of is the opposite of having hot and cold zones.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Can anyone confirm this or does anyone have other thoughts on this?

I've not tested it but am curious to know if it's true because the OP brings up a very valid point and one that I've considered over the years.

I've always been a little frustrated with the fact that the "hot" and "cold" zones don't ever change since that kind of is the opposite of having hot and cold zones.
In years past, your zones never change. I'll have to keep a closer eye on this. But if you get your skills up high enough this should not matter to much right? If you have good overall ratings you should hit anything in the sz with ease.
★ďYour expectations always exceed outside expectations. I feel like you just canít stop working, canít stop getting better, because Iíll be a failure in my eyes before Iím a failure in someone elseís eyes.Ē - Arron Afflalo
Old 07-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #5

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetNadedScrubs
In years past, your zones never change. I'll have to keep a closer eye on this. But if you get your skills up high enough this should not matter to much right? If you have good overall ratings you should hit anything in the sz with ease.
That's not what I'm asking.

The zones don't change, we know that.

I'm asking if they are cosmetic or if they have an affect.

And this isn't regarding rtts, this is asking about franchise because we cannot edit them for our prospects in the minors.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
That's not what I'm asking.

The zones don't change, we know that.

I'm asking if they are cosmetic or if they have an affect.

And this isn't regarding rtts, this is asking about franchise because we cannot edit them for our prospects in the minors.
I'm talking about franchise mode. I think this is more of a tendency thing. Cosmetic only. Don't think this really has any effect on the outcome.
★ďYour expectations always exceed outside expectations. I feel like you just canít stop working, canít stop getting better, because Iíll be a failure in my eyes before Iím a failure in someone elseís eyes.Ē - Arron Afflalo
Old 07-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 55

All I know is that it is pretty lame that we cannot edit them ourselves.

Back on MVP 05 you could fully edit hot/cold zones (which were NOT just cosmetic in that game) and even eliminate them altogether. You could make each zone red (hot), blue (cold) or clear (neutral) and making them all clear made hitting more ratings dependent. I used to edit whichever team I was using to all clear other than obvious hot/cold zones on some guys. Middle high over the plate to a power hitter? Hot. Down and away against a guy that strikes out a lot? Cold. It just made things play better overall.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
Rookie

TripleCrown's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetNadedScrubs
I'm talking about franchise mode. I think this is more of a tendency thing. Cosmetic only. Don't think this really has any effect on the outcome.
Pay attention, the CPU is aiming at your cold zones for sure. Don't knowif you'll have a litlle rating inÁrease/decrease at bat for swinging in a hot/cold zone though

Last edited by TripleCrown; 07-09-2013 at 12:09 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »