Home

Intentional Walks with the Bases Loaded

This is a discussion on Intentional Walks with the Bases Loaded within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 24
Intentional Walks with the Bases Loaded

There's a part of my brain that does nothing at all but create random and ridiculous hypotheticals and "what-if" scenarios. It's probably a sign I need help. Whatever. One of those weird scenarios buzzing through my head is a bases-loaded intentional walk. I've wondered about it for years, and I actually did it for the first time about a month ago, in The Show.

It didn't even really click with me to think about it at all... but then the other day the Mets in real life had a game against the Braves where the bases were loaded, and Wheeler had just exited the game... in my head I'm thinking I'd probably just give an intentional walk to Andrelton Simmons after he fouls off like 7 pitches in a row. Of course they did no such thing, and Simmons proceeds to empty the bases with a hit down the line.

So it made me think back to this question, and at this time I remembered my experience in The Show.

The situation: I'm the Mets, my opponent is the Detroit Tigers. The score is 4-1, there is one out and there are runners on second and third. It's the bottom of the 7th inning, I'm pitching with some random bullpen guy, and Miguel Cabrera is at the plate... Score is 4-1.

I throw a couple pitches just outside the zone, and he doesn't bite, and at this point I start weighing my options. He's the tying run, and giving up a home run is definitely the worst case scenario here. A walk is hardly a big deal, since I'm pretty good at inducing a double play. So I throw a backdoor curveball, and it's called a ball.

Uh oh.

Then I start thinking ahead. Pitching to Prince Fielder isn't really better than pitching to Miguel Cabrera... but how much of a threat is Victor Martinez, really?

So there I go. I didn't even want to risk accidentally throwing a strike, so I pitchout for ball 4. Bases are now loaded, and Prince Fielder comes up, and I throw some breaking balls low to see if he chases. He doesn't, so I just give him the intentional walk and eat the run.

It's 4-2 now, and Vic Martinez comes up to the plate. First pitch, hard grounder straight to the second baseman for an easy double play, inning over.

I can't help but think about all the different ways that inning could have gone wrong if I had challenged either Cabrera or Fielder (or both). As crazy as it is, I think this was a situation where an intentional walk with the bases loaded was actually the right move.

Have you ever walked anyone with the bases loaded?
If not, what's the craziest strategic decision you've ever made?

(And has this ever happened in real life?)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Intentional Walks with the Bases Loaded

This is from Wikipedia, thought it was interesting:

In the history of Major League Baseball, six players have been issued intentional walks with the bases loaded. This is only done in the rarest of cases, typically when the pitching team is leading by four runs or less late in the game and a particularly feared hitter is at the plate. The six players given such passes are Abner Dalrymple (1881), Nap Lajoie (1901), Del Bissonette (1928), Bill Nicholson (1944), Barry Bonds (1998), and Josh Hamilton (2008). In all six cases, the pitching team went on to win the game.

I actually would've thought this would happen more often. Only 6 times in the history of Major League Baseball? That is extremely rare.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Banned

Steven78's Arena

OVR: 0

Just because it worked doesn't mean it was the best decision. I would have went after Prince personally. By walking Prince you put the winning run on first and the tying run in scoring position. Glad it worked out for you though.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
MVP

sydrogerdavid's Arena

OVR: 27

What did Vasgersian and company say about you walking the bases loaded?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven78
Just because it worked doesn't mean it was the best decision. I would have went after Prince personally. By walking Prince you put the winning run on first and the tying run in scoring position. Glad it worked out for you though.
Yeah, but since it was Prince, as Karros would say, "the winning run was in scoring position when he stepped into the batter's box."

Bold move, Bob. I've never done it, but I can thing back to several scenarios where I refused to give in even after a batter managed to foul off every tough pitch in the zone, and magically lay off of every pitch outside the zone even when they were incredibly close. So, on the 10th, 11th, or 12th pitch of the at bat, I miss with location and the guy comes up with a single to score two, a double to clear the bases, or worse yet a grand slam.

Then the next guy strikes out or hits a weak grounder that would have gotten me out of the inning. In retrospect, eating the single run on a walk, and taking my chances with the guy on deck may have worked out better. Too bad I'll never know for sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Banned

HouseKeepinItReal's Arena

OVR: 2

In my franchise in 12 my closer Brandon league was having trouble closing games and blew 2 of three last save attempts his confidence was way Down and so I waited till he was fully rested and his next appearance I had him start a game in which he went two innings and six staight outs after which the scheduled starter went on to complete the shutout and btandon league,s confidence sky rocketed and when on to complete the rest of his saves
'
Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

I did it a couple of years ago in a 2000 Season Replay.
Jeff Bagwell.
It was the first and only time I've ever done that.
It felt odd.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 08-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven78
There isn't really any objective way to determine whether it was the best decision though. Until Albert Einstein (or nomo?) comes in here and posts a ridiculously complex formula to determine the runners' respective chances of scoring (factoring in both Fielder's and Martinez' offensive ability), in both situations, opinions are all we got.

It's kinda like the bunting debate. There isn't really much evidence to support either side of the argument.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »