Home

MLB 16 The Show Impressions from us puny "last gen" PS3 Consoles

This is a discussion on MLB 16 The Show Impressions from us puny "last gen" PS3 Consoles within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2016, 11:15 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Exclamation Re: MLB 16 The Show Impressions from us puny "last gen" PS3 Consoles

I own a PS3 & I can't even FIND this game in the store (I do the DD thing on all the games I play. CD Drive is one less thing that can go wrong when the game is on the Hard Drive itself )

Cheers & Happy Gaming

EDIT - As you can tell from my laterpost in this thread, i have found it. Please disregard

Last edited by Bach Patu; 05-04-2016 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:29 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: MLB 16 The Show Impressions from us puny "last gen" PS3 Consoles

Okay, three more games under my belt, here we go:

- Something happened, and I was unable to join the PSN Network, and then the best thing happened. Unconnected, the game played flawlessly. Three games with no stutter or hiccup. NO freezes or slowdowns. I played three consecutive games, because I was afraid somehow I would login to the PSN Network. Call it my connection, whatever, but I will not be playing offline games online.
- Rejoice Classic pitching Fans!!... Feedback for your release point on the screen. Late, Early and Good. Helps you figure out where to let go of the ball in the pitcher's motion. Thanks.
- Crowd noise better, and smarter in situations. Nice work.
- Player body styles are much better. Good weight to weighty players.
- the Outfielders have much more natural approaches to the ball, and their movements are much more fluid.
- However, the branch animations from the outfielders need some adjustment. When a baserunner is rounding second, headed to third, there cannot be a glove-slap and a double crow hop, and then a rushed animation for a throw. This needs to be addressed. I am preloading a throw to third, as I know the runner is going to go, and the outfielder does not react like there is some haste needed. We need haste.
- Edwin hit a BOOOMB against me that left Fenway totally. Out of the stadium. No parrot?
Saved that for the A-team eh?
- Something to listen for. When your coach wants your attention about a possible strategy tip, he whistles, just like he would to try and do from the dugout. Listen for the whistle, and there is a tip about something in the works you might want to pay attention to. Well done.
- Baserunning angles, and rounding bases are more accurate to real life. nice upgrade there.
- Balls hit in the air, seem to have better backspin physics to them. I appreciate that hard work, and it is noticeable.
- Hair and beard textures are much more lifelike.
- I edited my entire team and took their sunglasses away. Still an oversight to ship it that way, but I do not allow my players to wear sunglasses during a night game. When it is overcast. That is just silly.
- Lighting for dusk game times got an upgrade. Great purple/orange sky at night in Boston. Excellent artwork team, nice job.
- Saw a hybrid no-doubter camera angle. Not quite the pull back, but not the standard dynamic camera shot either. Dead center, well done. Love those shots.
- I appreciate the access to the defensive positioning via the quick-d hub. Hit the Triangle, and you get the full defensive input screen. Smart idea.
- I fooled A-rod on a splitter, and his bat flew out of his hands and into the crowd. If this is an occurrence that is not overdone and I see it every game, welcome back.
Got a walkoff win against the Yanks, and my POTG interview was done with the camera pointed towards the dirt. Just a nice stat overlay and a screen full of infield dirt. Kind of odd, but maybe an anomaly.

I would say so far, that for $39 it is a nice jump up from 15. It does not play as smoothly as I have 15 running right now, but I am working on Sliders and Gameplay options to bring it to the most realistic game there can be.

Graphically, the game got a buff and wax, and looks pretty darn spiffy. The crowd especially got worked over, and they look great.

I really, really hope that someone wanders over here to the half way house of the PS3'ers, and reads a few items. First and foremost, the softball-sized ball is getting on my nerves. It was perfect last year, and if the excuse is going to be "so it is easier to see", then that guy needs to look at the overlays, and the score bar, and the font size that is too small to read from 10 feet away. Not going to buy a visual excuse, when the menus this year are as tiny a font and point size as can be made legible. The ball is too big. It looks goofy.

More impressions tomorrow after work and after three more games, but I do like this year's iteration. It needs a little comb over, but we'll get it running as well as we can.

Legend Level Classic Pitching with no input feedback, and the Pitching sliders for Accuracy and Consistency at "0" is nerve wracking. But I love the fact that you live and die with where that pitch is going by the slightest, tiniest of movements. Add to that the CPU's ability to lay off close pitches, and now we've got some white knuckle rides on the hill.

Strike zone is much more accurate to real life this year.

More to come, and if anyone is interested, I'll post the 2016 Stealyerface Ultra-Realistic slider set in the near future.

I have it playing almost perfectly tuned right now, just trying to figure out what to do with this outfielding situation.

~syf
Old 03-30-2016, 07:28 AM   #19
MVP

Does anyone know how to do the full 10GB install? When I loaded the game, it said you could do a 5GB or 10GB install to improve loading times but no choice of which. I hit x and it installed, but only said "Delete 5GB install" under Load/Save. The load times into the main menu and between screens are a bit long.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #20
MVP

fearwhatnow's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits11
Does anyone know how to do the full 10GB install? When I loaded the game, it said you could do a 5GB or 10GB install to improve loading times but no choice of which. I hit x and it installed, but only said "Delete 5GB install" under Load/Save. The load times into the main menu and between screens are a bit long.
Do you have the digital or retail version? If you have the digital one there's no reason for a 10gb install. The loading times were always quite long to get into a game but it's the first time I hear about long loading time in the main menu.
I'm currently downloading the game via PSN so I can't help you more I'm afraid.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:40 AM   #21
MVP

Thanks for the reply. I have a retail disc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 08:58 AM   #22
Rookie

LASTROSNoMore's Arena

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I have a retail disc.
With the retail disk, when you first install the game it gives you the option to do the 5GB or 10GB install. If you already installed the game check under Data Utility, I installed the 10GB and it gives me an option to delete 5GB Game Data (I assume the "extra" 5GB).
Old 03-30-2016, 09:04 AM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTROSNoMore
With the retail disk, when you first install the game it gives you the option to do the 5GB or 10GB install. If you already installed the game check under Data Utility, I installed the 10GB and it gives me an option to delete 5GB Game Data (I assume the "extra" 5GB).
I guess that means I already have the 10GB install. Could have been connection to online that caused the slow loading. I'll try again later with online disconnected and see if its better. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #24
MVP

fearwhatnow's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
I guess that means I already have the 10GB install. Could have been connection to online that caused the slow loading. I'll try again later with online disconnected and see if its better. Thanks.
I always disconnect from PSN when I'm playing The Show. No stuttering, no lag this way. The online portion of the game is a joke anyways.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »