Home

Question for Roster Creators

This is a discussion on Question for Roster Creators within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2022, 09:41 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Question for Roster Creators

Hi all I’ve been working on a bunch of 90s rosters using 3 year weighted splits. I’m fairly new to roster creating so I was just wondering what you guys do to determine past pitchers’ stuff and defense for position players? I bought the Neyer/James guide which is a very nice tool for pitch speeds and repertoires, but how do you guys determine where to set control and break? Does OOTP have all these things? Any help would be much appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2022, 09:25 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Question for Roster Creators

OOTP does show a single rating per pitch type which I used to create a Break/Movement & Control ratings simple spreadsheet calculator......... it perhaps isn't precise or accurate but at least it was relative and consistent in providing those two ratings. OOTP also provides a Fastball speed range and other pitch-type speed ranges are reasonably set within the game based on a Pitcher's fastball rating.

Post your eMail address and I will send my simple spreadsheet calculator to you from Dropbox. It is named: PitchersControlBreakGeneratedRatingswOOTP.xlsx and will be in a folder with other tools I use.

Last edited by doncropper; 08-18-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:14 PM   #3
Rookie

Hi sorry for the delay but I’ve been so busy the last little bit that I’ve had to put my gaming hobby on hold and deal with real life unfortunately. But I’m back and about to embark on a project that I’ve been wanting to do for some time now!

My email is [email protected] and no I’m not the guy that’s still collecting cheques from the Mets LOL. Thank you for your help it’s greatly appreciated 😊.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:19 AM   #4
MVP

OK sent: You should be receiving an email explaining how to access that dropbox file. If you don't please let me know. Good Luck.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:00 AM   #5
Rookie

So slight issue as I can’t seem to access that email. I just have it around for things like this but I guess I hadn’t checked it in a while so they must’ve closed it. I don’t want to use my personal email as it has my name in it so I’ll have to create a new one and get back to you! My apologies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2023, 11:08 PM   #6
Rookie

Hi. I had to take some time off but I’ve returned to creating this roster and am intent on finishing and releasing it probably for the start of MLB 24. It’s truly a lot of work.

The thing I’m finding just mind boggling is that OOTP GO 23 - which is the version I’m using for the 1999 roster - has Randy Johnson at 91-93 MPH. They also Greg Maddux with totally average ratings for all of his pitches. I know 1999 was a bit of a down year for Maddux but he still pitched great overall. A down year for Maddux is a great year for 99.9% of the league. So with that I’m having a real hard time getting myself to “believe” the ratings provided by OOTP.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks y’all.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:10 PM   #7
Rookie

I missed a couple of things I wanted to add. One of which was I checked Pedro and Curt schilling for reference and they were listed at 95-97 as “power pitchers” and The Big Unit was listed as “normal”. I’m very confused by this. It’s frustrating trying to get control and movement for pitches as is and this just made it a little bit more so.

Last edited by TheStormKid; 06-16-2023 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2023, 04:14 PM   #8
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStormKid
I missed a couple of things I wanted to add. One of which was I checked Pedro and Curt schilling for reference and they were listed at 95-97 as “power pitchers” and The Big Unit was listed as “normal”. I’m very confused by this. It’s frustrating trying to get control and movement for pitches as is and this just made it a little bit more so.
Unit is 2nd all-time in strikeouts. If he's not a power pitcher, who was?

'99 he set his career high for strikeouts. Topped it again a few years later. '98 he had a very poor run in Seattle before he was traded... but then ripped off 4 consecutive Cy Youngs, far and away his best seasons.

I struggle with OOTP ratings as well. I am curious how much of that is setup. The problem for me is paralysis from over analysis. The options seem endless. Maybe set up a few different versions of your game and pull from the one you like best?

Brooksbaseball.net is a great resource for pitchers, but unfortunately, their data only goes back to 2007-2008. You can get great movement data for guys like Johnson, Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, ect.. but they had lost a good chunk of their velocity at that stage.

Roster building for this game is brutal without an external editor.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »