Home

George Springer

This is a discussion on George Springer within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #25
Pr*

Joey's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: George Springer

Uh, what? I just gave you factual information and you dismissed it as horrible logic. What's more logical than facts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turty11
and thats why that logic is horrible, you dont lose half your power vs a different hand....

he had nearly the same amount of HR/hit vs left as vs right, or xbh/hit vs left as right

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #26
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

as far as the rating comparrison of harper vs springer is, i have harper rated @ a 91 and springer @ 87

--joey, HR per AB doesnt even come close to being good to determine power >< if you cant make contact you cant hit HR's
Old 05-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #27
Rookie

mu382's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
as far as the rating comparrison of harper vs springer is, i have harper rated @ a 91 and springer @ 87
I didn't adjust Harper, he is at 87 but after adjusting Springer in comparison with Harper's ratings he ended up being 85. Power, Speed, and Defense pretty equal. Contact and Arm Strength not quite as high as Harper. Pretty pleased with the results but still curious what others have done with Springer.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #28
Pr*

Joey's Arena

OVR: 15

OK, we'll just agree to disagree. We're talking about how ratings translate to a video game and I haven't understood any of your reasoning up to this point, including the contact comment. I realize you can't hit HR if you can't make contact, just not sure what point you were trying to make.

Quote:

--joey, HR per AB doesnt even come close to being good to determine power >< if you cant make contact you cant hit HR's

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #29
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
Wow. Springer is a great prospect, but he's still just that, a prospect. A good month means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Last May Domonic Brown hit .303/.303/.688 with 12 homers and 25 RBI and the hype machine starting rolling with him. Guess what, he regressed as soon as the pitchers figured him out and he hasn't been the same hitter since. Is George Springer the Domonic Brown of 2014, or is he something else? Time will tell. IMO, Knight has him rated fairly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu382
The only problem with this is it took Brown parts of 4 years in the majors to have a breakout month. He first got called up in 2010 and finally broke out for one month in 2013. Harper and Springer have both been really good at every level from the get go.
Yea, Brown has been a Phillies top prospect since at least 2010, and he's just now even a solid fixture on the team. Him going and having a big month is more of a surprise than something you would think is bound to happen.

Springers big month this early, based on his Minor League MVP season last year makes us question how good he really is going to be at this level. Whereas no one thought that Brown was the next MLB superstar any point last season.

But honestly that remark is miniscule, I actually agree with you about not overrating Springer, in this video game. That's why I'm saying as Knight has set it, Springer has plenty of tools available to earn his way into a big career on your game.

Honestly, I'm relunctant to even tie these players ratings exclusively to any sort of stats. Springers success right now, as I've observed it is just as much about being in the right situation right now at the right time, a who knows what affect coaches, and mental makeup is really having on his success. Stats don't tell that part of the story, so I like his ratings to reflect more than what is on the stat sheets over the last few weeks. I think, and the article is written somewhere, but Knight has alot of help from people who closely watch and know many things about these minor league players, and that is what's reflected in their ratings ultimately.

Last edited by @legendm0de; 05-30-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #30
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
Yea, Brown has been a Phillies top prospect since at least 2010, and he's just now even a solid fixture on the team. Him going and having a big month is more of a surprise than something you would think is bound to happen.

Springers big month this early, based on his Minor League MVP season last year makes us question how good he really is going to be at this level. Whereas no one thought that Brown was the next MLB superstar any point last season.

But honestly that remark is miniscule, I actually agree with you about not overrating Springer, in this video game. That's why I'm saying as Knight has set it, Springer has plenty of tools available to earn his way into a big career on your game.

Honestly, I'm relunctant to even tie these players ratings exclusively to any sort of stats. Springers success right now, as I've observed it is just as much about being in the right situation right now at the right time, a who knows what affect coaches, and mental makeup is really having on his success. Stats don't tell that part of the story, so I like his ratings to reflect more than what is on the stat sheets over the last few weeks. I think, and the article is written somewhere, but Knight has alot of help from people who closely watch and know many things about these minor league players, and that is what's reflected in their ratings ultimately.
I'm the one who created and edited Springer for OSFM and I stand behind the ratings for now. It appears Springer has adjusted to the league, now let's see if he can sustain it when the league adjusts to him. Any rating adjustment must take in a larger sample size which will require a couple hundred more at bats.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:19 AM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
Sorry, but that's just not accurate. While you may not get weaker or stronger, you'll still hit homeruns at a different rate vs RH & LH pitchers. It may not be extreme, but in some cases it definitely can be. For example, look at last year's HR leader. Chris Davis hit 53 HR, 40 in 367AB vs RHP and 13 in 217AB vs LHP. That's a HR rate of 1 every 9.2AB vs RHP and 1 every 16.7AB vs LHP. So his power vs LHP would have been almost half that of RHP.
What this guy said. While a hitter may not get "stronger" vs RHP and LHP, hitters have are not able to generate the same power against both for MANY reasons. Contact has nothing to do with it. A hitter can bat .300 against RHP and LHP but have completely different HR/AB ratios.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2014, 12:22 AM   #32
Rookie

Also I would like to mention that Springer will 100% not keep this up and you can quote me on this. I will admit I was wrong if he does.

He has a .345 BABIP this year in the majors which is absurdly high and will die down reducing his numbers. BABIP signifies good and bad luck, not skill. Some players can slightly affect where the ball is going but too low and too high BABIP signifies good or bad luck.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »