Home

DEADBALL PLAYOFF ROSTER?

This is a discussion on DEADBALL PLAYOFF ROSTER? within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
DEADBALL PLAYOFF ROSTER?

I was wondering if anyone wants to brainstorm a Deadball-era playoff roster? I tried this on my own in last year's game but only made two teams before bailing. Things I focused on:

Obviously nerfing all power
Drastically increasing pitch movement (spitballs, scuffing, etc.)
Reducing pitch speed (85-90 mph top speed maybe? Walter Johnson excluded)
Increasing errors, reducing fielding ability
High bunting ability across the board
High base-running aggression, steal ability
Low strikeouts, high contact
High Starter Stamina

...and some other stuff.

Obviously we'd have to use teams with good old-school unis, and pick some era-appropriate batting stances and pitching motions. And luckily there are a couple good classic stadiums.

Where I bailed last time, was trying to get the faces accurate. I was trying to match them to the real photos, but it was too damn hard.

I think to make it easier this time, we should use only the real faces of the star players (Cobb, Wagner, Shoeless Joe, etc.), because there's already some really excellent CAPS in the the latest all-time roster for these guys (posted Nov 24).

For the rest of the players, I would say only match the names or maybe make up some good/funny ones (Three-Finger Brown, anybody?). And then just get the faces believable, but not necessarily accurate to a real-life person. I absolutely hate generic faces, though, so that would be priority number one.

Anyway, if anyone's interested let me know.

Last edited by Kernel Pie; 12-03-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: DEADBALL PLAYOFF ROSTER?

For teams, looking at:

Red Sox
Yankees
Tigers
White Sox
Indians

Reds
Phillies
Cubs
Pirates
Giants
Dodgers

The NL has 6 teams with good classic unis (maybe 7 if you count the Cards) so one or two have to go.

I'm gonna use the latest OSFM roster for a base, so it will be easy to take a created player from the minors, and just tweak the face, ratings, particulars, and accessories to match. Then of course, I'll be importing the stars where I can find them.

For names: I'm not sure if it's better to grab real names from BB Ref, or just make up some cool ones (maybe a bit of both?). Either way, though, I will be using Greasy Neale:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ealegr01.shtml

Then the ratings will be the tough part. I don't know if power should be capped at 50 max, and I'm not sure how to rate pitchers, but whatever--I'll just 'trial-and-error' it, I guess.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:24 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

Three Finger was his nickname. Just name him Mordecai Brown
Old 12-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Rookie

saturn2187's Arena

OVR: 0

Can't you use the spreadsheet that Knight & Co used to generate rookie ratings, except plug in your desired deadball era output and use that as a guide for Ratings ?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »