Home

2015 Chicago Cubs

This is a discussion on 2015 Chicago Cubs within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-22-2015, 10:57 PM   #17
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2015 Chicago Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment
I am curious on how everyone is setting their lineup right now, or how they would set it up. I started a new franchise since we got Fowler and I am running this:

vs RHP
CF Dexter Fowler
RF Ryan Sweeney
SS Starlin Castro
1B Anthony Rizzo
C Miguel Montero
2B Javier Baez
3B Mike Olt
RF Jorge Soler
Pitcher

vs LHP
CF Dexter Fowler
LF Chris Denorfia
SS Starlin Castro
1B Anthony Rizzo
RF Jorge Soler
2B Javier Baez
3B Mike Olt
C David Ross
Pitcher

My bench is:
CF Arismendy Alcantara (2B/3B/SS)
LF Chris Coghlan
2B Tommy La Stella (3B)

I have not yet called up Kris Bryant. I'm thinking he should be my number 3 or 4 with Rizzo, but not sure yet. Thinking something like:

vs RHP
CF Dexter Fowler
SS Starlin Castro
1B Anthony Rizzo
3B Kris Bryant
C Miguel Montero
2B Javier Baez
RF Jorge Soler
LF Ryan Sweeney/Chris Coghlan

vs LHP
CF Dexter Fowler
SS Starlin Castro
1B Anthony Rizzo
3B Kris Bryant
RF Jorge Soler
LF Chris Denorfia
2B Javier Baez
C David Ross/Miguel Montero

Any thoughts on my lineup when I call up Kris Bryant? How does your lineup/roster look different for your franchise? When it comes to sports, I am quite the football expert, but when it comes to baseball, I am really more of just a fan. I would appreciate some outside input.

Thanks.
I haven't played the game in months due to being the offseason and Madden, NBA2k15 and NHL 15 taking up all my gaming time so I couldn't tell you what my in game lineup would look like right now without having the ratings in front of me but I can give you my input on how I think the real life team will shape up with the roster as it stands right now.

Lineup vs. RHP
Fowler - CF
La Stella - 2B
Rizzo - 1B
Soler - RF
Castro - SS
Montero - C
Olt - 3B
Coghlan - LF

Lineup vs. LHP
Fowler - CF
Alcantara - 2B
Rizzo - 1B
Soler - RF
Castro - SS
Olt - 3B
Denorfia - LF
Ross - C

Don't assume by that that I think Alcantara will only play against LHP's as he will get spot starts all over the place (2B, 3B, LF, CF, SS). From what I've read Maddon sees Alcantara as a super-sub utility Ben Zobrist type player.

Pitching wise we know who the top 4 starters will be and we know who will be in the back end of the bullpen with the rest up for grabs.

I think both Baez and Bryant will start in Iowa and I think it's very possible Bryant sees big league action before Baez (if you haven't heard, Baez is really struggling in winter ball, striking out almost 50% of the time and not showing any signs of making adjustments, very worrisome). I don't know what Baez's ratings look like in the game right now but if it were up to me I'd set his contact, discipline and vision ratings VERY low and his power VERY high while keeping the same potential.

As far as when Bryant comes up in mid-April, I see him sliding into Olt's spot both at 3B and in the lineup to start out (possibly hitting ahead of Montero vs. RHP). By the end of the year, if he lives up to the projections that are being forecast for him (he's already being projected to hit 30 HR, this year), he'll be hitting in the 4 spot.

If Castillo doesn't get traded before camp breaks I could see em carrying 3 catchers with Castillo getting most of the AB's against LHP and Ross simply being Lester's personal catcher. Eventually a trade involving Castillo will happen, just not sure when.

One last thing, I noticed you have Sweeney in your lineup, I would be completely shocked to see him retained beyond spring training.

Last edited by OhioCub; 01-22-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #18
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
What's your take on where Schwarber ultimately ends up at ratings-wise? Is it something like .290/.370/.500 with below average / fringe-average defense? That's roughly low-mid 80's contact, mid 70's power, and high 50's / low 60's defense. After plugging those in I get around 85-87 OVR depending on the position, with LF being the highest rated.

Fangraphs has him with a .280/.360/.480 line and a 60 FV, but those are more realistic projections and not pure upside. Pure upside I guess you can argue for a 65 but there's also a chance that his upside takes a hit from the rigors of being a catcher.

From what I've read, Schwarber and Alex Jackson are pretty similar ceiling-wise, and I personally have Jackson as an 86 potential. To get to 90+ a player has to either have a couple of outstanding tools or be extremely well rounded.

Now that Kris Bryant guy, he's a different story lol
Personally, I haven't looked into Schwarber enough to project a slash line for him yet (just too early in his career for me to say I guess) but I do know he has 30 HR potential and excellent plate discipline for his age. And from what I've read he's picking up on the finer details of catching much faster than the player development department thought he would.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:32 PM   #19
Pro

Figment's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
What's your take on where Schwarber ultimately ends up at ratings-wise? Is it something like .290/.370/.500 with below average / fringe-average defense? That's roughly low-mid 80's contact, mid 70's power, and high 50's / low 60's defense. After plugging those in I get around 85-87 OVR depending on the position, with LF being the highest rated.

Fangraphs has him with a .280/.360/.480 line and a 60 FV, but those are more realistic projections and not pure upside. Pure upside I guess you can argue for a 65 but there's also a chance that his upside takes a hit from the rigors of being a catcher.

From what I've read, Schwarber and Alex Jackson are pretty similar ceiling-wise, and I personally have Jackson as an 86 potential. To get to 90+ a player has to either have a couple of outstanding tools or be extremely well rounded.

Now that Kris Bryant guy, he's a different story lol
Once again, I am a football expert, not a baseball expert, but I do love sports so I will give it a shot.

Lets start by comparing his stats at the various levels with a couple other top prospects:
A+ Daytona
Schwarber: 191 PA, 19.9% SO, 14.1% BB, .302 BA, .393 OBP, .560 SLG (.952 OPS), 5.2% HR
Bryant: 62 PA, 27.4% SO, 8.1% BB, .333 BA, .387 OBP, .719 SLG (1.106 OPS), 8.1% HR
Soler: 236 PA, 16.1% SO, 9.3% BB, .281 BA, .343 OBP, .467 OPS (.810 OPS), 3.4% HR
Rizzo: 364 PA, 19.5% SO, 11.5% BB, .278 BA, .357 OBP, .442 SLG (.799 OPS), 2.2% HR

Schwarber started off his minor league career getting promoted in only 5 games, his bat is tremendous. Of these four players, nobody else has a higher on base percentage, he also has the largest walk percentage showing he does the one thing Billy Beane loves, get on base. He has what would appear to be an average strikeout rate compared to these guys and the second highest OPS. What this all says to me is he can be a Rizzo type hitter in the Majors. The power is there, he hits a home run 5.2% of the time, second only to Bryant. His bat and ability have the ability to be the best of this group, once again though, see how he handles the higher levels first. Given this info, I could see him projecting to be a .275/.360/.500 hitter once adjusted to the major league level, but you were probably a bit closer to what will really happen.

The more important question is, where does he play? I don't think the Cubs stick with him at catcher. He played 20 games at catcher last season with a .981 fielding % and 36 games at left field with a .985 fielding %. Neither are that great, but when you look at the fact that he played 9 games at catcher and 8 games at LF in A, but played 9 at Catcher and 26 at left in A+, it seems obvious to me they don't intend to keep him at home behind the plate. If it were any other team, I would say that he is a guarantee to switch to 1B, but Rizzo has that locked up. So what do we do with the prospects? Our current future stars look as follows:

C- Open
1B- Anthony Rizzo
2B- Javier Baez (if he can strike out less and raise his BA)
3B- Kris Bryant
SS- Starlin Castro
LF- Open
CF- Open (Pretty sure Fowler is gone after this season)
RF- Jorge Soler

When you look at it this way it seems obvious that the only home for Schwarber is at Catcher. Albert Almora is the current CF star of the future, and I feel confident that Addison Russell can make the switch to LF with ease, after that there are no openings unless someone gets traded. But once again, he is likely to stay in the minors another couple years and a lot can change til then. Hope this is a good answer, let me know.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:38 PM   #20
Pro

Figment's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioCub
One last thing, I noticed you have Sweeney in your lineup, I would be completely shocked to see him retained beyond spring training.
As far as the game goes, Sweeney has very high contact ratings against RHP's, and Coghlan is only decent. I don't think Sweeney is going to make it out of spring training in real life, and I do not intend to keep him long in the game either, only a holdover until I call Bryant or Lake up (my rule of thumb is I only call players up if they are on fire or if an injury occurs and they are the obvious call up).
Old 01-23-2015, 12:01 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Spoiler
I would think that Russell is going to be the SS of the future not Castro. I think they will flip him for a starter in the next couple of years. I also think Bryant could be headed out to LF. And you may see Castro go to third if they don't want to trade him.

Last edited by redsox4evur; 01-23-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2015, 12:30 AM   #22
Pro

Figment's Arena

2015 Chicago Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
I would think that Russell is going to be the SS of the future not Castro. I think they will flip him for a starter in the next couple of years. I also think Bryant could be headed out to LF. And you may see Castro go to third if they don't want to trade him.
I am not buying the Starlin Castro trade rumors. Castro is a proven MLB star, one of the best short stops in the game. He does not have a major injury history, and his bat is one of the best in the game as far as OBP and BA go. If anyone is going to go, I would think it would be Baez, and soon. He is to much of a risk/reward player. I think if the Cubs are smart, they should let another team take the risk on him and get someone of great value back while Baez is still a top prospect. I get that he has the potential to bat .260-.270 and blast 30+ home runs, but his approach reminds me a lot of Carlos Pena, all power and no vision. The highest his OBP would probably ever be is like .310. Trade him to the Mets who are still looking for a Short Stop and pull one of their top pitching prospects. I would rather build up Addison Russell to be the 2B of the future, he actually projects as a decent on base batter, who could blast 20+ home runs, and be an above average base runner. Let's not forget that he is a great fielder too. Once again, I am no baseball expert, but this is just my two cents. Thoughts?

Last edited by Figment; 01-23-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #23
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

Quote:
Once again, I am a football expert, not a baseball expert, but I do love sports so I will give it a shot.

Lets start by comparing his stats at the various levels with a couple other top prospects:
A+ Daytona
Schwarber: 191 PA, 19.9% SO, 14.1% BB, .302 BA, .393 OBP, .560 SLG (.952 OPS), 5.2% HR
Bryant: 62 PA, 27.4% SO, 8.1% BB, .333 BA, .387 OBP, .719 SLG (1.106 OPS), 8.1% HR
Soler: 236 PA, 16.1% SO, 9.3% BB, .281 BA, .343 OBP, .467 OPS (.810 OPS), 3.4% HR
Rizzo: 364 PA, 19.5% SO, 11.5% BB, .278 BA, .357 OBP, .442 SLG (.799 OPS), 2.2% HR

Schwarber started off his minor league career getting promoted in only 5 games, his bat is tremendous. Of these four players, nobody else has a higher on base percentage, he also has the largest walk percentage showing he does the one thing Billy Beane loves, get on base. He has what would appear to be an average strikeout rate compared to these guys and the second highest OPS. What this all says to me is he can be a Rizzo type hitter in the Majors. The power is there, he hits a home run 5.2% of the time, second only to Bryant. His bat and ability have the ability to be the best of this group, once again though, see how he handles the higher levels first. Given this info, I could see him projecting to be a .275/.360/.500 hitter once adjusted to the major league level, but you were probably a bit closer to what will really happen.

The more important question is, where does he play? I don't think the Cubs stick with him at catcher. He played 20 games at catcher last season with a .981 fielding % and 36 games at left field with a .985 fielding %. Neither are that great, but when you look at the fact that he played 9 games at catcher and 8 games at LF in A, but played 9 at Catcher and 26 at left in A+, it seems obvious to me they don't intend to keep him at home behind the plate. If it were any other team, I would say that he is a guarantee to switch to 1B, but Rizzo has that locked up. So what do we do with the prospects? Our current future stars look as follows:

C- Open
1B- Anthony Rizzo
2B- Javier Baez (if he can strike out less and raise his BA)
3B- Kris Bryant
SS- Starlin Castro
LF- Open
CF- Open (Pretty sure Fowler is gone after this season)
RF- Jorge Soler

When you look at it this way it seems obvious that the only home for Schwarber is at Catcher. Albert Almora is the current CF star of the future, and I feel confident that Addison Russell can make the switch to LF with ease, after that there are no openings unless someone gets traded. But once again, he is likely to stay in the minors another couple years and a lot can change til then. Hope this is a good answer, let me know.
Not sure if you saw my post above in regards to this but the Cubs have said the reason he didn't catch much last year was just to get him comfortable in pro ball. They've been working with him on his catching all offseason and he's apparently made believers out of them that he can stick there.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #24
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

Quote:
I am not buying the Starlin Castro trade rumors. Castro is a proven MLB star, one of the best short stops in the game. He does not have a major injury history, and his bat is one of the best in the game as far as OBP and BA go. If anyone is going to go, I would think it would be Baez, and soon. He is to much of a risk/reward player. I think if the Cubs are smart, they should let another team take the risk on him and get someone of great value back while Baez is still a top prospect. I get that he has the potential to bat .260-.270 and blast 30+ home runs, but his approach reminds me a lot of Carlos Pena, all power and no vision. The highest his OBP would probably ever be is like .310. Trade him to the Mets who are still looking for a Short Stop and pull one of their top pitching prospects. I would rather build up Addison Russell to be the 2B of the future, he actually projects as a decent on base batter, who could blast 20+ home runs, and be an above average base runner. Let's not forget that he is a great fielder too. Once again, I am no baseball expert, but this is just my two cents. Thoughts?
I agree with most of what you said. As far as Castro being one of the best shortstops in the game, I don't think I'd go that far. He's above average but still lacks focus at times and although he may be a good contact hitter and can hit for a good average he's not really good in the OBP department as he doesn't draw many walks at all. That said, I don't think he's going anywhere either. Pretty much everyone knew all along that Baez has the biggest bust potential of anyone in the group and with his recent struggles in winter ball I fear that bust potential may come true. As far as trading him for one of the Mets top pitchers, I don't know if they'd give up much for him right now. He's been exposed and until he can show that he can make an adjustment noone's gonna part with a top pitching prospect for him. What I see happening is when Russell is ready either Castro moves over to second or Bryant moves to left and Russell takes his spot at third. It all depends on how Bryant does defensively and/or if Russell outgrows shortstop (which many scouts seem to think he will and will eventually be better suited for 3B similar to A-Roid). If Baez does somehow figure things out and noone's traded it almost guarantees Bryant gets moved to LF.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »