Home

2015 Chicago Cubs

This is a discussion on 2015 Chicago Cubs within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #65
Pro

Figment's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: 2015 Chicago Cubs

I too agree that people get too hung up on overall ratings. What matters most to me is that the player's individual attributes fit the skills I want at that position. I think his potential is accurately a low 90 if not exactly a 90. He is still very young in the league, but I don't know how much more potential growth we can expect to see from him. Maybe a bit more plate discipline with age, which if he started taking walks with his batting average his OBP would be through the roof. I think his defense gets a little underrated at times simply because of his attention miscues over time, but his fielding is actually pretty good in my opinion. I think what we see is what we get though, a slightly above average hitter with a good batting average, decent on base percentage, decent base running skills, and a lot of years ahead of him still. He may have a 25 HR year, but like you said, it is a peak with the right situations helping him to get there. I don't think it's too far off that he will have more years hitting .300 or higher though. Most importantly, I don't think he is going anywhere.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #66
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Of course I'm hardcapping, I just said I expected him to peak around 4 wins... the numbers you are suggesting go far beyond that. That kind of batting line with average defense is Andrew McCutchen...

I just gave you two scenarios, one of which you yourself provided, that proves how hard it is to hit 90 OVR in this game. If you go by Knight's charts, the second scenario I provided has Castro batting ~.320 with 20 HR's and a 95 defensive rating. To call that a pipe dream is an understatement, and despite all of that, he still only rates out to a 91. What it comes down to is what Mr Oldboy said, and how certain positions value certain attributes more than others. For a SS, fielding and throwing top the list.

Now move him to second base and that's where you get your A potential.

Still, I'm a little concerned with how you see potential in this game. With all of the opportunities to gain or even lose potential, settling for a more realistic rating is best IMO. The number of players that actually hit their ceiling are few and far between - starting at the middle ground gives a player a wider range of outcomes as opposed to setting him too high, which eliminates the chance for a bust. If there was a legitimate bust factor in the game then I would be in the same boat as you, but there's not, so its better to err on the safe side.
I'll be honest and just say I don't see what the point of your argument is...that Castro should have a POT closer to 84 than 91? That just wouldn't jibe with all the random mid B prospects that OSFM is soon to create, because it would be implying they would eventually have the same impact (same OVR or whatever) as a 3x All Star that's still growing. This is especially true since you mentioned there not being a bust factor.

I also don't necessarily see the need to justify a POT with some random set of future ratings being achievable. To me, POT and OVR are completely separate entities and OVR means next to nothing to me (as long as the better players are relatively higher than the worser players in aggregate). I'm just not the type to parse every point of OVR. Someone with mid A POT might hit 99 OVR, or 95 OVR, or 88 OVR. That's to be determined by progression in the game which can't necessarily be predicted. Giving Castro a 90 POT doesn't mean he becomes Andrew McCutchen later on.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:18 AM   #67
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Yes, this same guy did the same thing last year with Cubs OSFM. Likes to buzz the tower of all things Cubs to feed his Cubs vs Sox inferiority complex....make it seem like Cubs fans are sticking it to him somehow.

Not only that, but he appears to think what you have for POT is actually OVR ratings. I would agree that a 90-92 OVR for Castro is too high at this point. But, to say his POT is scraping the lowest B is commit-yourself-to-an-asylum looney. Average defense at SS with .300 20 HR potential and just barely 25 years old by OD.
I bolded the correct things in this reply.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #68
Rookie

CubsWillRiseAgain's Arena

OVR: 0

Starlin is a terrific young player, and will be a main cog in the lineup for many years, but right now hes not a 90+ overall. But if we're talking potential, he has a fantastic hit tool, and developing power which will be aided by his large frame, could very well develop into a .280+ hitter (he already is a .280+ hitter) with 25 bombs. Which i would call A potential. His potential should be 90 or mor with his powerful body, developing power, and improving defense (though that very likely will not be very good at any point).

If you have a 3x all star shortstop in his early 20s, who has the potential to hit 25 homers, hit .280+ with passable defense, in this day an age that's A potential.

Last edited by CubsWillRiseAgain; 03-01-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #69
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Putting out a notice for help with OSFM.

Mostly with faces. I still cannot figure out the editor. I'd really like to get the big prospects either remade, plus the ones that haven't been in OSFM before. Someone sent me some pretty good ones last year, but after OSFM was out.

ST is starting soon so if anyone catches photos, video, etc from Cubs prospects during live games go ahead and post them. I try to use ST as the most recent reference for equipment, stances, etc for the top prospects that get invited. Everything else I try to use day games from the previous year.

Also if minor league players have specific equipment contracts or clear preferences that can be included this year.

I've noted down a lot of opinions regarding potentials, roster formation, etc from here as well as usual. I'll try and get everyone in that people like, but I still would like to make a balanced farm system for OSFM meaning positions and level (A, AA, AAA) will matter.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #70
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
Putting out a notice for help with OSFM.

Mostly with faces. I still cannot figure out the editor. I'd really like to get the big prospects either remade, plus the ones that haven't been in OSFM before. Someone sent me some pretty good ones last year, but after OSFM was out.

ST is starting soon so if anyone catches photos, video, etc from Cubs prospects during live games go ahead and post them. I try to use ST as the most recent reference for equipment, stances, etc for the top prospects that get invited. Everything else I try to use day games from the previous year.

Also if minor league players have specific equipment contracts or clear preferences that can be included this year.

I've noted down a lot of opinions regarding potentials, roster formation, etc from here as well as usual. I'll try and get everyone in that people like, but I still would like to make a balanced farm system for OSFM meaning positions and level (A, AA, AAA) will matter.
The nice thing about it this year is, you don't have to load it up with A ball players to make it a quality system as a good portion of the AAA and AA rosters will be made up of prospects (of course, there will be some career minor leaguers in AAA as always lol)
Old 03-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #71
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioCub
The nice thing about it this year is, you don't have to load it up with A ball players to make it a quality system as a good portion of the AAA and AA rosters will be made up of prospects (of course, there will be some career minor leaguers in AAA as always lol)
Well I took over the Cubs for OSFM a few years ago when the Cubs started to really become a top minor league system. It only makes it harder to fill the roster out since you need the system to be balanced, but also include the most deserving players. At least there are deserving catchers in the system now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2015, 12:29 AM   #72
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Here is the team color guide for the Cubs. This is useful when editing equipment. I'll double check this when 15 drops and update if need be.

Team Color 1: Cubs Blue (Same blue as their caps)
Team Color 2: Red
Team Color 3: Black

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »